Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah lads .. taking the Micheal ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

No it doesn't. Its a pointless restriction inflicted on us by the green party and Eamon Ryan in particular.

You can not leave your house, go out through the gate and shoot on your own land. Even the FG TD's are up in arms over it.

Standing in the middle of a 20 acre field on your own and you are at a risk of spreading covid ? :rolleyes:

People are suffering around the country that is true. But this is clearly a political agenda driven exercise. If it wasn't then there would be appeals for people to stop cycling clubs, running clubs ect as they are often in large groups. Another poster on here said he walked around a field with his friend and was within the lockdown rules. What difference would it have made if he had a gun with him aswell? But the threat of firearm confiscation was made by the gardai which is quite extreme.

And I make this rant as a guy who had no interest in shooting pheasants. I haven't shot them in probably over 15 years. But if this gets reversed in the next few days I will make a point of heading to a couple of permissions I have(within 5km) and shoot whatever I can cause to hell with any politician who thinks he can rule over us. They work for us. We don't exist as a vehicle to fulfill whatever political ideology they dream up.

People are suffering around the country that is true. But this is clearly a political agenda driven exercise. If it wasn't then there would be appeals for people to stop cycling clubs, running clubs ect as they are often in large groups. Another poster on here said he walked around a field with his friend and was within the lockdown rules. What difference would it have made if he had a gun with him aswell? But the threat of firearm confiscation was made by the gardai which is quite extreme.

And I make this rant as a guy who had no interest in shooting pheasants. I haven't shot them in probably over 15 years. But if this gets reversed in the next few days I will make a point of heading to a couple of permissions I have(within 5km) and shoot whatever I can cause to hell with any politician who thinks he can rule over us. They work for us. We don't exist as a vehicle to fulfill whatever political ideology they dream up.

Thats right, a gang of oul lads covered in lycra, on pushbikes passed me the other day, all in a group, no masks or space between them.

tudderone wrote: »
    Thats right, a gang of oul lads covered in lycra, on pushbikes passed me the other day, all in a group, no masks or space between them.

They literally wouldn't even give space to a car to save their lives, never mind social distance from each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats a distressing sight in itself - as is folk over a certain age in denims;)

• Advertisement

They literally wouldn't even give space to a car to save their lives, never mind social distance from each other.

There used to be gangs of them in the wicklow mountains, when i was on the way to the club on the old motorbike, they wouldn't give a car an inch, but i used to get into the middle of them on the bike and drop a gear, the roars of the engine, they used to wave me on quick enough :D. They'd want to start paying road tax if they want to behave like that. I won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

While I'm inclined to agree with some of the comments, about badly behaved groups of cyclists, and I've had my own bad experiences with them, this isn't about us and them...

It's about a rediculous ruling being applied on individual, law abiding, licenced and insured hunters.

It's about the lack of common sense being applied, when attempting to interrupt legislation and government direction, which even if well intented, is wrong and descriminates against one group of people and their hobby, over various other groups - who are clearly higher risk categories.

If I genuinely believed that one or two people, out in isolated fields, were a notable risk to spreading Covid-19, then I would happily wait until 1st December without question, just as I'm doing in respect of some other sporting and social interests, but I honestly do not see how this can, in any way, be a notable risk to either hunters, or those that they later interact with.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

No it doesn't. Its a pointless restriction inflicted on us by the green party and Eamon Ryan in particular.

You can not leave your house, go out through the gate and shoot on your own land. Even the FG TD's are up in arms over it.

Standing in the middle of a 20 acre field on your own and you are at a risk of spreading covid ? :rolleyes:

And who exactly is gonna stop you from hunting on your own land? Like is there someone holding your hand?

If it's your own land head out ta fcuk, but if it's a bunch of lads all meeting to play dress up and chase around a fox then maybe stay at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

JJayoo wrote: »

In case you haven't already noticed, we are law abiding people, and also, not people who "dress up" and "chase" foxes.

Thanks,

G.

JJayoo wrote: »
    And who exactly is gonna stop you from hunting on your own land? Like is there someone holding your hand?

If it's your own land head out ta fcuk, but if it's a bunch of lads all meeting to play dress up and chase around a fox then maybe stay at home

It'd be the very time a guard would turn up, or someone hears a shot and squeals on you. Then the guns are gone and you're in the poop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1102/1175490-pheasant-shooting-restrictions/

In fairness, there old folk in homes not seeing loved ones and dying alone, businesses going down the can.
    Okay we’ve been discommoded, but this makes us look like selfish Larry’s.. Kilnadkully stuff .

I’ve honestly seen far, and I mean far worse, media appearances from people trying to argue their case in the media.

It could have been emphasised far more that we’re not looking for any exemptions to limitations on travel for recreation and so on but that we’re simply arguing that we should not be subjected to any restrictions that are not being implemented on other forms of individual recreation like for example running, cycling, walking, bird watching, angling or kite flying for all I care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What are you doing standing out in the middle of a 20 acre field ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Etc

They came across as a bunch of self entitled idiots on the report tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1102/1175490-pheasant-shooting-restrictions/

In fairness, there old folk in homes not seeing loved ones and dying alone, businesses going down the can.
    Okay we’ve been discommoded, but this makes us look like selfish Larry’s.. Kilnadkully stuff .
    I agree
    sometimes saying nothing says a hole lot more .
    now we just sound like me me me . At times when field sports are unde scrutiny from all sides we could just do the right thing for every one especially when we want every one else to do right by us the rest of the time. small minded short sighted and a bit out of touch

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I agree
    sometimes saying nothing says a hole lot more .
    now we just sound like me me me . At times when field sports are unde scrutiny from all sides we could just do the right thing for every one especially when we want every one else to do right by us the rest of the time. small minded short sighted and a bit out of touch

Thousands spent on rearing game, controlling vermin, protecting and maintaining cover, lads in clubs putting in endless hours of unpaid work for the start of the season, and then a dublin td scotches it, not because of any real covid risk, but because he was playing to the gallery of green zealots who find shooting offensive. Not a thing to do with covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

It’s the optics look bad. Of course it’s annoying, it is daft we can’t go out, but golfers could say the same and no one is losing sleep over pheasant hunters or golfers. This report though makes us look self entitled whingers.
    As the other poster said sometimes saying nothing says a whole lot more. First time I saw game shooting on the main evening news and I’m watching it though my fingers..

It’s the optics look bad. Of course it’s annoying, it is daft we can’t go out, but golfers could say the same and no one is losing sleep over pheasant hunters or golfers. This report though makes us look self entitled whingers.
    As the other poster said sometimes saying nothing says a whole lot more. First time I saw game shooting on the main evening news and I’m watching it though my fingers..

I watched it on the player this morning and I agree the optics aren't good. I don't think it will ever look good but there needs to be a fight back against the obvious political agenda in this country against gun owners. If that makes us look like whingers then I think that's the price we have to pay.

And I don't even shoot pheasant. But I look at it like this. First they will come after the hunters, then they will go after the target shooters and then after anyone left with a gun.

I watched it on the player this morning and I agree the optics aren't good. I don't think it will ever look good but there needs to be a fight back against the obvious political agenda in this country against gun owners. If that makes us look like whingers then I think that's the price we have to pay.

And I don't even shoot pheasant. But I look at it like this. First they will come after the hunters, then they will go after the target shooters and then after anyone left with a gun.

Yes fight back. But For gods sake pick your battles. Complaining that you can’t go and shoot pheasants in the middle of a lockdown where people are being restricted from seeing loved ones who are living out their last days alone in care homes, and business owners are watching their shops and pubs slip under. It just looks daft, I think it was actually presented as kind of a lighter side of the news last night.

The thing is most golf clubs have swanky club houses where you can go after a round. I would have nothing against people playing golf, if the club houses were not allowed open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It'd be the very time a guard would turn up, or someone hears a shot and squeals on you. Then the guns are gone and you're in the poop.

Funnily enough I was told that was the exact scenario that happened to a guy in east Cork, the Gardai responded to the complaint and told the hunter to return home. Then later that evening turned up at his door and seized his gun/guns on the instructions of their superior officer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

One slight problem for our Johnny on the spot Garda....Proof! That it was you,you fired the shot,and wTF is he doing uninvited on your private property in the 1st place?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

RE The news clip.
    THIS IS WHY you need in any organisation in the public eye a skilled media/PR manager to deal with interviews and media news. This is becoming too much of an important topic to just leave to the bloke with the least to do in your organisation or in corporate-speak the "head director of stuff".
    This person wil be representing your organisation in the public eye, usually in a bad situation or event. So they need to be media savvy and be able to take and hold ground.And when is shooting EVER in a good light in Ireland in the media?

You need someone who lays ground rules of who and what will be said, what questions will be asked, and when it is over, and if we don't like it, we are walking. We have had 2 hatchet jobs done on us by RTE in the last 20 years that could have been well avoided by a good PR manager. The infamous William Egan Vs ...Whatever that Gobdaws name debate was would NEVER have taken place under a good PR manager.

This,if it was any other time from the optics was a car crash!
    The chief of NARGC
    needs to learn to project his voice a lot more, like his predecessor. Fortunately, it will be forgotten about with the US election and the Vienna shooting by this evening.The only one squwaking about this on FB is some wagon of an independent councillor from Ballymun,who has been put in her box over there.
    Lets learn from it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

It came across awful on the news.. Foxes will kill the pheasants before we do??
    What in gods name were they thinking.

And why did they film it in a pheasant pen? Why weren't the birds released weeks before November? Id say someone gets a few handy shots on the first when the pheasants are left off the night before... :rolleyes:

I reckon the clip on the news set the chances of it getting lifted back more than helping..

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    One slight problem for our Johnny on the spot Garda....Proof! That it was you,you fired the shot,and wTF is he doing uninvited on your private property in the 1st place?

Depends if you are strolling back with a pheasant hanging from your belt or not :D.

RE The news clip.
    THIS IS WHY you need in any organisation in the public eye a skilled media/PR manager to deal with interviews and media news. This is becoming too much of an important topic to just leave to the bloke with the least to do in your organisation or in corporate-speak the "head director of stuff".
    This person wil be representing your organisation in the public eye, usually in a bad situation or event. So they need to be media savvy and be able to take and hold ground.And when is shooting EVER in a good light in Ireland in the media?

You need someone who lays ground rules of who and what will be said, what questions will be asked, and when it is over, and if we don't like it, we are walking. We have had 2 hatchet jobs done on us by RTE in the last 20 years that could have been well avoided by a good PR manager. The infamous William Egan Vs ...Whatever that Gobdaws name debate was would NEVER have taken place under a good PR manager.

The chief of NARGC
    needs to learn to project his voice a lot more, like his predecessor. Fortunately, it will be forgotten about with the US election and the Vienna shooting by this evening.The only one squwaking about this on FB is some wagon of an independent councillor from Ballymun,who has been put in her box over there.
    Lets learn from it.

Yup, someone with a bit of charisma, and media savvy is whats needed alright.

Depends if you are strolling back with a pheasant hanging from your belt or not :D.

If you are daft enough that is.:rolleyes:

garv123 wrote: »
    It came across awful on the news.. Foxes will kill the pheasants before we do??
    What in gods name were they thinking.

And why did they film it in a pheasant pen? Why weren't the birds released weeks before November? Id say someone gets a few handy shots on the first when the pheasants are left off the night before... :rolleyes:

I reckon the clip on the news set the chances of it getting lifted back more than helping..

I wonder how much of the interview footage was snipped to put a certain negative viewpoint across too?

I wonder how much of the interview footage was snipped to put a certain negative viewpoint across too?

But they shouldn’t have been moaning about in the media in the first place. In the scheme of things presently any sporting body complaining about the restrictions is getting slated.
    They should try and read the room so to speak, and had they done that they should have known to keep the head down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

RE The news clip.

The chief of NARGC
    Lets learn from it.

I came to the defence of Mr Curley after I heard him on radio yesterday morning and then I saw the news last night and my heart sank . Whose idea was it to hold an interview in a "cage full of pheasants waiting to be shot" as it was described to me today by a non hunter . Jayuz , you don't need a p.r person, to avoid car crashes like that .

Advertisement