Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floodlight with Motion Sensor

Options
  • 03-11-2020 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a floodlight for the back yard for security purposes that works off a motion sensor.

An important feature needs to be that you can "draw" on screen within the area the sensor sees for where motion is to trigger the light.

Kind of like how on a Ring doorbell, you can drag and resize the area within which it will trigger a motion alert.

I hope that makes sense! Any recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

I'm looking to get a floodlight for the back yard for security purposes that works off a motion sensor.

An important feature needs to be that you can "draw" on screen within the area the sensor sees for where motion is to trigger the light.

Kind of like how on a Ring doorbell, you can drag and resize the area within which it will trigger a motion alert.

I hope that makes sense! Any recommendations appreciated.

Ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I have a Ring Floodlight Cam which does exactly what you're describing. I have two actually. Very happy with them once I sorted a decent wifi signal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Now I feel like an idiot. Didn't realise Ring actually did one! :o

Thanks all. I'll likely go with that.

Is there a non-premium brand equivalent that would be more wallet friendly? I've only ever bought Hue and Ring for smart home products, so not aware what the consensus is on the cheaper brands or if I should stick with what's proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm sure there are cheaper options out there but it's good the way the Ring products work together. E.g if motion sensor goes off on back garden, automatically active front door camera etc.

I think Eufy do one as well and it stores on a local hard drive instead so there are no subscription costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

John_Mc wrote: »
    I'm sure there are cheaper options out there but it's good the way the Ring products work together. E.g if motion sensor goes off on back garden, automatically active front door camera etc.

I think Eufy do one as well and it stores on a local hard drive instead so there are no subscription costs.

Is there any similar product that doesn't have recording / storage? We have 24 hour standalone CCTV so recording isn't really necessary, so the purpose of the floodlight is really just to light up the back yard as a deterrent more than anything. Probably the same for the front drive too. Would also ensure CCTV doesn't have to rely on night vision which can be questionable quality.

The only reason I want something equivalent to Ring where you can draw your motion sensor range/field is to stop it lighting up/triggering when cars drive by or certain trees move in the wind. Our neighbours have normal motion sensor lights and they trigger all the time.

Maybe a regular motion light is what I want and I can be just be careful with how I install it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Now I feel like an idiot. Didn't realise Ring actually did one! :o

Thanks all. I'll likely go with that.

Is there a non-premium brand equivalent that would be more wallet friendly? I've only ever bought Hue and Ring for smart home products, so not aware what the consensus is on the cheaper brands or if I should stick with what's proven.

Probably. But if you want something that will last and work as you want it. Best to pay the little extra IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

I bought the Eufy floodlight cam from Amazon recently. Fit it last weekend and it’s an excellent product. Local storage so no subscription required. Trigger is controlled using an on screen guide to map it out. Lights are adjustable for brightness too such that they come on at sunset at 10% brightness but if triggered will increase to 100%. Also has a night vision mode if you don’t want the lights on. Other features include two way speaker/mic and a siren. Great app too. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Why don`t you go into any good electrical wholesaler and ask for professional advice, also you can see the products first hand
    Eurosales, Kellihers, REW, Trade Electric to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My experience of asking in Irish electrical shops is that their experience is limited to what they sell, which is usually fairly limited in itself. I find it better to do the research elsewhere (here or on-line in general), as you have a better chance of being exposed to a broader range of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Arlo also have a motion sensing light... Just as an alternative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Tazium wrote: »
    I bought the Eufy floodlight cam from Amazon recently. Fit it last weekend and it’s an excellent product. Local storage so no subscription required. Trigger is controlled using an on screen guide to map it out. Lights are adjustable for brightness too such that they come on at sunset at 10% brightness but if triggered will increase to 100%. Also has a night vision mode if you don’t want the lights on. Other features include two way speaker/mic and a siren. Great app too. Very happy with it.

Half interested in this..
    When you say local storage? Is that on a SD card or some memory in the camera? Can you pull it down remotely - or more specifically record it to e.g. my PC hard drive, over the networ, where i can just go back and look at it without any special apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Half interested in this..
    When you say local storage? Is that on a SD card or some memory in the camera? Can you pull it down remotely - or more specifically record it to e.g. my PC hard drive, over the networ, where i can just go back and look at it without any special apps?

It’s local on the device, not via removable sd card. The files can be downloaded as needed, I’m using the phone app so can’t comment on PC use. From the phone the files can be selected individually or grouped and downloaded/shared.

If you want to download to a cloud service you could then go back at leisure to review.

Advertisement