Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of electric gates??

Options
  • 03-11-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi just got a quote of €2500 for having I’m existing gates electrified, I’ve no idea if that’s a fair price??
    What I’m getting is
    elbow arms
    2 sets of photo cells
    Wireless intercom/keypad
    2 fobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Only 2 sets of photocells?

Is that the extent of safety devices that are going to be put on your gates ?

No mention of safety edges or hinge blockers or any such devices?

To me it seems too cheap and I am beginning to see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭shane b

Seems ok to me as a homeowner. I have electric gates which are in about 15 years and the hydraulic system was giving us a few issues so we decided to replace it.
    We opted for an electro-mechanical underground unit to replace it. It cost 2200 which included the Came Frog kit (1600 euro), Inner photocells and posts (200 euro) and labour (400 Euro). We already had a working intercom.
    I dont know price wise if there if much of a difference between an underground kit and the elbow arm type you have been quoted for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

There's a crush hazard where the gates meet, photocells do not protect this. Are the hinges in the centre of the pier or on the corner, there are very dangerous crush hazards to protect at the hinge if it's in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redcard

There's a crush hazard where the gates meet, photocells do not protect this. Are the hinges in the centre of the pier or on the corner, there are very dangerous crush hazards to protect at the hinge if it's in the centre.

Thanks for replying, Hinges are at the center, I didn’t know what to ask the guy as I’ve no clue about electric gates. I didn’t know what a photocell was till this morning. Both myself and my husband are clueless in this area and I just don’t want to get ripped off. I’ll try up load a pic of gate

shane b wrote: »
    Seems ok to me as a homeowner. I have electric gates which are in about 15 years and the hydraulic system was giving us a few issues so we decided to replace it.
    We opted for an electro-mechanical underground unit to replace it. It cost 2200 which included the Came Frog kit (1600 euro), Inner photocells and posts (200 euro) and labour (400 Euro). We already had a working intercom.
    I dont know price wise if there if much of a difference between an underground kit and the elbow arm type you have been quoted for.

Thanks for replying, All advice appreciated

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Only 2 sets of photocells?

Is that the extent of safety devices that are going to be put on your gates ?

No mention of safety edges or hinge blockers or any such devices?

To me it seems too cheap and I am beginning to see why.

Clearly I’m a complete novice so all advice appreciated.

redcard wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, Hinges are at the center, I didn’t know what to ask the guy as I’ve no clue about electric gates. I didn’t know what a photocell was till this morning. Both myself and my husband are clueless in this area and I just don’t want to get ripped off. I’ll try up load a pic of gate

Like I said, you have numerous crush hazards. If you want to do it right you need to consider protecting these areas with safety edges and hinge guards.

redcard wrote: »
    Clearly I’m a complete novice so all advice appreciated.

All to our own as they say.

I have the Health and Safety publication regarding automatic gates and I will post up a link to it later on.

Op, this is a publication by the Health and Safety Authority, speaking as someone who also does gate automation, I use this as a benchmark when I am surveying sites for such installations.

The reason for this was, a few people have been killed by auto gates in The UK in the last few years and many have been injured. Many people have also been badly injured here as well.

So for your sake and peace of mind please consider this document:

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Machinery_and_Work_Equipment/Guidelines_on_the_Safety_of_Powered_Gates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

You need a professional installer, not a cowboy. Pity you didn't ask before you fitted the gates, it could've easily been safely designed with the hinges at the corner of the piers eliminating any need for safety measures hinge side. Correct motor and encoder adjustments can eliminate the impact hazard while the gate moves and also a slowdown and limitation the force can eliminate the crush hazard where the gates meet once a force test is carried out to record this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

I think it looks like a reasonable price. I had another system built in that area recently.

Advertisement