Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone towing Cork to Dublin for a reasonable price?

Options
  • 03-11-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm looking to buy a car from cork without NCT and plan to have it checked out by a local garage their before handing over the cash - but I'd rather not drive it back to Dublin uninsured, therefore I'm looking if anyone would be able to tow it somewhere in the region of €250 as that's the most I'm able to pay without going into the red.

A local towing company said €500, but if they were already towing a car the other way (Dublin-Cork) they could collect it on the way back for €250. That sounds like a great price but they said it could happen at any minute, day or month that someone calls for a tow from Dublin to Cork.

The car in question is only worth about €700 so I can't justify spending almost the car's value to tow it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I'm looking to buy a car from cork without NCT and plan to have it checked out by a local garage their before handing over the cash - but I'd rather not drive it back to Dublin uninsured, therefore I'm looking if anyone would be able to tow it somewhere in the region of €250 as that's the most I'm able to pay without going into the red.

A local towing company said €500, but if they were already towing a car the other way (Dublin-Cork) they could collect it on the way back for €250. That sounds like a great price but they said it could happen at any minute, day or month that someone calls for a tow from Dublin to Cork.

The car in question is only worth about €700 so I can't justify spending almost the car's value to tow it.

Surely there are 700 euro cars in Dublin to buy?

Why would you be going that far to buy a car in that range in normal times but during Covid doesn't make sense to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oliverfdavies

Surely there are 700 euro cars in Dublin to buy?

Why would you be going that far to buy a car in that range in normal times but during Covid doesn't make sense to me at all.

I know it sounds stupid, but it's a car with quite a lot of sentimental value to me, and it's the only one of it's type for sale in Ireland. The ones in Dublin that are similar start at €1,250 and have triple the mileage.

I was hoping to get it towed in order not break any lockdown rules, as the towing companies are allowed to operate in the current lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I know it sounds stupid, but it's a car with quite a lot of sentimental value to me, and it's the only one of it's type for sale in Ireland. The ones in Dublin that are similar start at €1,250 and have triple the mileage.

I was hoping to get it towed in order not break any lockdown rules, as the towing companies are allowed to operate in the current lockdown.

Ah, makes sense now :). Fair play for looking to do it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What happens if your local garage says it's a POS and you have to send it back to Cork? Would it not be better to ask for recommendations of a garage in Cork to check out the car instead of spending at least 1/3 of the price to get it up to Dublin for a garage to check it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oliverfdavies

Del2005 wrote: »
    What happens if your local garage says it's a POS and you have to send it back to Cork? Would it not be better to ask for recommendations of a garage in Cork to check out the car instead of spending at least 1/3 of the price to get it up to Dublin for a garage to check it out?

That was the plan, anyway. Unfortunately the guy ended up selling the car to someone else even though we had arranged to see it on Friday :/ . Going to close the thread for now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement