Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading mtb brakes

Options
  • 03-11-2020 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Would 4 Piston brakes with 203 rotors be over braking my voodoo bizango?

I had a crash about 2years ago, I ended up dislocating my knee cap. From then on I've been slow to try anything steep and I'm braking way to early. I feel a more powerful brake might help my confidence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I had a crash about 2years ago, I ended up dislocating my knee cap. From then on I've been slow to try anything steep and I'm braking way to early. I feel a more powerful brake might help my confidence

Do you have a dropper post?

Another, probably better option would be a skills day with someone like Niall Davis. Explain your situation and have a morning with him. Then go away and practice what he taught you and have a follow up session 6 weeks later or so.

I've 4 pot brakes with 8" rotors and they are wasted on me, all you'll do is get slower quicker, maybe even lock up and lose control.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ken engineer

saccades wrote: »
    Do you have a dropper post?

Another, probably better option would be a skills day with someone like Niall Davis. Explain your situation and have a morning with him. Then go away and practice what he taught you and have a follow up session 6 weeks later or so.

I've 4 pot brakes with 8" rotors and they are wasted on me, all you'll do is get slower quicker, maybe even lock up and lose control.

I'm getting a dropper soon, dropping the saddle manually is very annoying. I feel I could do with a bit more powerful brake.
    I'll look into the coaching, my skill level would be quite low as I don't get out as much as I'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Completely!

The brakes on your bike aren't bad at all, the important thing is to make sure the pads have plenty on them and they are serviced every couple of months at a good bike shop..

Invest in some good knee and elbow pads also to boost you confidence..

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭covey123

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I'll second that,if you take a spin not wearing knee pads after getting used to wearing them all along,you would be surprised how bare you feel without them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

covey123 wrote: »
    I'll second that,if you take a spin not wearing knee pads after getting used to wearing them all along,you would be surprised how bare you feel without them

Great for keeping all the muck off ya in the winter too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Coaching and practice are the best interventions.

I mean if you upgraded to a more trail worthy bike, instead of brakes, it would feel safer because of the slacker head angle, they designed for more aggressive riding, although at the same time some new riders get carried a way on a good bike and thats the biggest cause of crashes.

Dont let the bike hold you back though you can do anything on a hardtail with the right technique

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Completely!

The brakes on your bike aren't bad at all, the important thing is to make sure the pads have plenty on them and they are serviced every couple of months at a good bike shop..

Thank very much
    I'll send it in for a service and see how they go. I've used the bike to commute to work so they would have see a lot of use. I should really try keep on top of the maintenance of my bikes.
    I got knee pads about a week after my crash.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Coaching and practice are the best interventions.

I mean if you upgraded to a more trail worthy bike, instead of brakes, it would feel safer because of the slacker head angle, they designed for more aggressive riding, although at the same time some new riders get carried a way on a good bike and thats the biggest cause of crashes.

Dont let the bike hold you back though you can do anything on a hardtail with the right technique

Coaching is something I'll definitely look into. I plan on going to cratloe Woods to practice after lock down. I'll hopefully get there a few times a month

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

These are great brakes, I've a set myself. Easy bleed, powerful, light, and this is a bargain price: 145

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/magura-mt5-disc-brake-set-528592

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Complete overkill, if you do decide to get them, remember you'll need adapters because your frame and fork bosses are probably set up for 160mm rotors.

• Advertisement

Thanks
    I might just go with getting it serviced for now and look into getting getting coaching.
    Might go with some better quality pads and rotors if they need changing.

Advertisement