Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone notice the rollout of segregated alcohol in supermarkets?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

YFlyer wrote: »
    Have a look at this link. I know its awhile off but it needs to be addressed.

https://customer-service.lidl.ie/SelfServiceIE/s/article/What-time-do-Lidl-start-selling-alcohol-1593336827610

What's the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What's the issue?

No selling of alcohol on Good Friday.

No selling of alcohol on Good Friday.

They've been selling it on good Friday since the ban was lifted, clearly if we want 29c pasta, we don't get website updates.

That's a trade I'm happy to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

How soon before soft drinks are behind a barrier because of health concerns?
    Maybe the meat counter should be behind a barrier so not to offend vegans?

They've been selling it on good Friday since the ban was lifted, clearly if we want 29c pasta, we don't get website updates.

That's a trade I'm happy to make.

That's great.

The site is updated constantly.

• Advertisement

E mac wrote: »

Imagine if your perception of cancel culture took us back to a time when meat, fish, fruit and veg, wine and beer were all sold in individual shops. Perhaps small family run shops.

Terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

Alcohol is a toxin which the liver prioritises immediately breaking down to get rid of and not distribute towards other parts of the body. Sugar is broken down by the liver for the benefit of other parts of your body.
    One could be seen as fundamental to a diet but the other seen as a form of medication.

Imagine if your perception of cancel culture took us back to a time when meat, fish, fruit and veg, wine and beer were all sold in individual shops. Perhaps small family run shops.

Terrible idea.

its a nice idea but people are now used to going to one place for everything. Supermarkets/amazon. My grand aunts till they died in the mid 90's went shopping with the one shop for one thing mindset gotta go to connors for bread, to Sullivan's for milk etc etc. As my mother would say to me 'no point arguing it's their way"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

its a nice idea but people are now used to going to one place for everything.

I remember the slogan "Let's get it all together at Quinnsworth" :P

That genie is not going back into the bottle.

Scrap the cap!

I remember the slogan "Let's get it all together at Quinnsworth" :P

That genie is not going back into the bottle.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

They should install confession booths as well. "Forgive me father, for I just bought a six pack of Dutch Gold."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Those private quarters are shoplifters dream, especially in smaller supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

elperello wrote: »
    Just a small but important point, a lot of us drink for other reasons besides getting inebriated.

You can enjoy a nice cold beer on a Summers day or a little whiskey by the fire in Winter or a glass of wine with dinner all without becoming even a little tipsy.

I agree, but these regulations and rules aren't coming in because the people who do that aren't the problem, it's the umpteen number of people who can't drink properly or go out to get smashed are the problem.

Most of us cannabis users can use it without all the psychotic issues or problems that are often mis-reported, but it remains illegal because of the minority (and other more conspiratorial reasons). I see no harm in hiding alcohol more.

I agree, but these regulations and rules aren't coming in because the people who do that aren't the problem, it's the umpteen number of people who can't drink properly or go out to get smashed are the problem.

Most of us cannabis users can use it without all the psychotic issues or problems that are often mis-reported, but it remains illegal because of the minority (and other more conspiratorial reasons). I see no harm in hiding alcohol more.

How are those swinging doors going to mitigate the excess drinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How are those swinging doors going to mitigate the excess drinking?

During Covid it seems silly having to touch the doors to get in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

j@utis wrote: »
    Those private quarters are shoplifters dream, especially in smaller supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl.

In both Aldi and Lidl (conventional standalone store layouts, they have odder ones in some shopping centres etc) they're in line with the first checkout and will be plastered in CCTV. Also anything worth more than maybe ten quid is usually security tagged anyway.

j@utis wrote: »
    L1011 wrote: »
    In both Aldi and Lidl (conventional standalone store layouts, they have odder ones in some shopping centres etc) they're in line with the first checkout and will be plastered in CCTV. Also anything worth more than maybe ten quid is usually security tagged anyway.

Tags are easily got around, cctv is more valuable to have in my experience.
    But any competent shoplifter isn't going to conceal the bottles in those sections so the argument that they are a dream for them is a false one.
    It's not like people can't take a bottle from the area and move around the store with it.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    During Covid it seems silly having to touch the doors to get in and out.

I'll do a Ronaldinho and use my backside.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Tags are easily got around, cctv is more valuable to have in my experience.
    But any competent shoplifter isn't going to conceal the bottles in those sections so the argument that they are a dream for them is a false one.
    It's not like people can't take a bottle from the area and move around the store with it.

Cctv is useful, but mostly after the theft! We usually pick up on shoplifters when the stock balance differs with what's on the shelf the next day. Then it's off to the security office to scan a day's worth of footage. Usually they take the drink in a basket, go somewhere else in the shop where they think there's no camera's and put it in their bag/pram etc and sneak it out. Lots of shoplifters use freezer bags or tinfoil lined handbags to keep the security tags from setting off the alarm at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What exactly do they think these doors will achieve?
    :pac:

Its going to revolutionize Ireland's booze problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's going to revolutionise Ireland's personal injury claims industry, spring loaded doors are a cash cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

It's going to revolutionise Ireland's personal injury claims industry, spring loaded doors are a cash cow.

The OH was in getting a bottle of wine a couple of weeks ago in the local Aldi and going through the "saloon" doors hit a chap on the head with the door who was bent down getting dog food, she had to get dog food as well and was waiting on a smack getting it. Do the people designing this have a brain. :confused:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The OH was in getting a bottle of wine a couple of weeks ago in the local Aldi and going through the "saloon" doors hit a chap on the head with the door who was bent down getting dog food, she had to get dog food as well and was waiting on a smack getting it. Do the people designing this have a brain

They don't think we can open doors for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

They don't think we can open doors for ourselves.

A bit of cop on and they would have at least designed a door similar to a bathroom window so you can at least see if someone is on the other side without seeing any alcohol, but we live in Ireland I suppose.....:(

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Noticed yesterday in Tesco in Galway City alright, the Beer Cans seemed placed / rotated differently to the rest. I didn't get a chance to investigate further but there was definitely something different about the Beer Cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

was in M&S filling the trolley with meal deals today - felt AWFUL asking the manager if I could go in to the alcohol pen. There was no sign that it was open and there were so many staff in the tiny aisle that I thought it was a training event. Turns out everyone else was loading up with meal deals too and the shelves had been stripped & were being restocked! I nearly took the fingers off a philipino guy who was holding on to the cowboy spring doors - can’t believe their design is so bad - it’ll be a mecca for claims soon. Not to mention tricky and inconvenient to open with your arms full of booze. A&E anyone!?

They should have checked if we had one first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

KaneToad wrote: »
    Some people find the truth uncomfortable. Some are just unaware.

The health impact of alcohol consumption in Ireland:

88 deaths every month in Ireland are directly attributable to alcohol.

One in four deaths of young men aged 15-39 in Ireland is due to alcohol.

There are almost twice as many deaths due to alcohol in Ireland as due to all other drugs combined.

Alcohol was implicated in 1 in 3 (137) of all poisoning deaths in 2013, more than any other single drug, and alcohol poisoning alone claimed one life each week.
    900 people in Ireland are diagnosed with alcohol-related cancers and around 500 people die from these diseases every year.

One in eight female breast cancer diagnosis in Ireland are directly attributable to alcohol.

Alcohol is a factor in half of all suicides in Ireland.

Alcohol is also involved in over a third of cases of deliberate self-harm, peaking around weekends and public holidays.

Drink-driving is a factor in two fifths of all deaths on Irish roads.

Alcohol is a factor in one third of all drownings in Ireland.

More than one in four of those attending accident and emergency departments have alcohol”‘related injuries, almost half of which occurred to people aged under 30.

Alcohol is a factor in one in four traumatic brain injuries.

Alcohol is a factor in 80% of cases of patients admitted to neurosurgery units following an assault.
    Chronic alcohol-related conditions are becoming increasingly common among young age groups.

Alcoholic liver disease (ALD) rates are increasing rapidly in Ireland and the greatest level of increase is among 15-to-34-year-olds, who historically had the lowest rates of liver disease.

Analysis of data from Ireland’s Hospital In-Patient Enquiry (HIPE) scheme showed that the rate of ALD discharges increased by 247% for 15 to 34-year-olds and by 224% for 35 to 49-year-olds between 1995 and 2007.

Alcohol-related admissions to acute hospitals doubled between 1995 and 2008.

Alcohol-related deaths also increased during the same period, from 3.8 deaths per 100,000 to 7.1 deaths per 100,000.

St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin saw a 335pc increase in admissions with alcoholic liver disease between 1995 and 2010.

Over 14,000 people were admitted to the liver unit in St Vincent’s Hospital for the treatment of alcohol dependence in 2011.

Every day, 1,500 beds in our hospitals are occupied by people with alcohol-related problems.

If these new measures in supermarkets help reduce our alcohol consumption, it can only be a positive. If.

The word 'factor' is very misleading.
    For instance engine oil is a 'factor' in 5/5ths of motor vehicle accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I'm pretty sure all of our TDs voted in favour of this, and minimum unit pricing. An absolute embarrassment, being treated like kids while our Euro neighbours can sell alcohol anywhere at any time. Even in London you can buy beer 24 hours.
    It's f*cking scandalous.

Min unit pricing got in in scotland.
    There was a tiny decrease in deaths from alcohol and a marked increase in deaths from drug overdose.
    You see the drugs were cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

con747 wrote: »
    A bit of cop on and they would have at least designed a door similar to a bathroom window so you can at least see if someone is on the other side without seeing any alcohol, but we live in Ireland I suppose.....:(

That's not the design, that's the law. Your not allowed see into the devil alcohol section.

This to me is only the start, 10 years and the entire thing will be boxed off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Its hilarious this when the drug use in this country is outa control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

con747 wrote: »

But then you'd be able to see through the alcohol through the doors and its icy claws might entice you into a 72 hour bender.

Advertisement