Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike fit

• 03-11-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm new to cycling and want to buy a new road bike. Seeking for advice what should I do first, buy the bike and then do the bike fit or do the bike fit first?

Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

very often the advice is to go for a bike fit and then buy the bike; but i have also heard advice that if you can, if you have the luxury to, borrow a bike, or buy a cheap bike which is at least in theory the correct size for you, and go out and get used to it for a while first. that way, you have potentially useful feedback to give to a bike fitter when you *do* go to the bike fit.

also, if you are a normal body shape and don't have any issues with mobility, i've heard it claimed that 85% of the time any decent shop assistant will be able to size a bike correctly for you without paying €150 extra for a fit.

i guess it depends on how much use you expect to get from the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yuki29

I have bought not so long ago a hybrid bike to commute to work and the only fitting advice from the shop assistant was by my height and size charts that manufacturer is providing. After longer cycles I started to feel knee pain, tried to experiment with saddle height but still the same pain after.

I want a decent fit that will make me pain free :) and looking for the right approach.

Advertisement