Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancel Christmas 2020

• 03-11-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭

I think we should just cancel the thing this year. Keep the level 5 till January and we might have a shot at 0 covid provided new travel restrictions are brought in and work well.

You just know case numbers will go Ora Senora again with the amount of mingling, coziness and togetherness that goes on over the Christmas. Also cancelling it will put a damper on the gift-buying that China profits from in a massive way.

January will be dreary enough with no covid. Much worse again with another iteration of yoyo restrictions looming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

I'm all for slowing the spread of the virus, but no one or nothing will stop me from me travelling to be with family at Christmas.

I think we should just cancel the thing this year. Keep the level 5 till January and we might have a shot at 0 covid provided new travel restrictions are brought in and work well.

You just know case numbers will go Ora Senora again with the amount of mingling, coziness and togetherness that goes on over the Christmas. Also cancelling it will put a damper on the gift-buying that China profits from in a massive way.

January will be dreary enough with no covid. Much worse again with another iteration of yoyo restrictions looming

How do you propose we will go about achieving zero covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nah, this “Lockdown” is for Christmas. Restrictions will ease once the numbers drop and we’ll get a few weeks for shopping and family time in until after New Years.

Then it’s back to Level 5 again for a longer “stretch” in spring so we can, hopefully, get a bit of summer in. Rinse and repeat until we have a vaccine.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Once I get to put up the Christmas tree and crib, listen to the nine lessons and carols on radio 4 on Christmas Eve

And give my kids their presents on Christmas morning followed by church and then a lovely traditional Irish Christmas dinner

That’s my Christmas sorted and happy to do it under level 5 if that’s what needs be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I think you should stop listening to the fear mongering from the government and the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It won't be a normal Christmas anyway.

People abroad won't be coming home in big numbers.

Elderly are genuinely spooked so they won't be partaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Bah humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

i don't really agree. I'd rather have another month or so of this and be able to see family and friends at Christmas. If they bring back L5 in January I might get out of here for a bit. Not sure I can take 3 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You cancel it for us. And you can take the blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Feck off Cromwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

i don't really agree. I'd rather have another month or so of this and be able to see family and friends at Christmas. If they bring back L5 in January I might get out of here for a bit. Not sure I can take 3 of them.

You actually want the yoyo strategy? That iis daft. So it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

No I don't think anyone wants that. Its a wreckhead for everyone with the uncertainty and the government not "ruling out" a 3rd,4th... X lockdown. If I had to take one month more of lockdown, then have a decent christmas in order to see everyone and then go back to lockdown I would take it over skipping christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

It’s been a miserable enough year already, no way I’ll cancel Christmas. Yes it will be different but it’s Christmas time and as always, I’m very much looking forward to it, and the brightness it brings in darkest days. We need it in 2020 more than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anyone suggesting Zero Covid should be shot with a ball of their own ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No one wants it but having Level 5 from now until July sounds awful. Give us Christmas at least.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Anyone suggesting Zero Covid should be shot with a ball of their own ****e.

It is working for an increasing number of countries and if you keep the borders good and tight after achieving it you're away for slates

Then all the moaners will be able to go back economing as much as they like and unimpeded. Selling overpriced pints, importing Chinese sh1te, serving up seafood chowder with the odd pork sausage thrown in. The whole country will be hopping and jumping again as we pay impoverished nations to make disposable tat for us to bring to the landfill. Isn't that all the anti lockdown crowd ever wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It is working for an increasing number of countries and if you keep the borders good and tight after achieving it you're away for slates

Then all the moaners will be able to go back economing as much as they like and unimpeded. Selling overpriced pints, importing Chinese sh1te, serving up seafood chowder with the odd pork sausage thrown in. The whole country will be hopping and jumping again as we pay impoverished nations to make disposable tat for us to bring to the landfill. Isn't that all the anti lockdown crowd ever wanted?

Zero Covid on an island with two separate administration's and part of Europe is a pipedream best left to the loons that support it.
    Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

KevMayo88 wrote: »
    I'm all for slowing the spread of the virus, but no one or nothing will stop me from me travelling to be with family at Christmas.
    I'm sure they will be delighted to see you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

KevMayo88 wrote: »

Really, you think so little of your family that your willing to risk passing on a virus to them just so you can enjoy a few days of their company... what happens if there are fewer of them around the table next year as a result?

Are you sure they are truly happy for you to risk their health for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We'll do a socially distant family thing with the in-laws this year, best Christmas ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And give my kids their presents on Christmas morning followed by church and then a lovely traditional Irish Christmas dinner

News for ya:

We're going back to level 3.

That still means no church, no carols ( except pre recorded on the radio/ telly) , no panto, outdoor pubs only.

Besides, all the elves have got the Covid. Santa's workshop is screwed without them.

News for ya:

That still means no church, no carols ( except pre recorded on the radio/ telly) , no panto, outdoor pubs only.

Besides, all the elves have got the Covid. Santa's workshop is screwed without them.

Poor old Sammy Sausage. And he didn’t even get a hand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Do you really think spending Christmas in lockdown is going to affect the numbers of Covid when we open up again? We locked down eariler in the year for longer, it didn't work. We're locked down now but we have schools open and sports happening this time unlike last, why would they think a less severe lockdown would work better this time... There is no stopping the spread, only slowing it momentarily during a lockdown, the longer we are in lockdown the longer we just put off rising numbers again. All we can do is let it run it's course and utilise a vaccine when one becomes widely available.

Then the question becomes who will take the vaccine? I really believe that younger/healthier generations won't take it as they generally don't need to and the older more at risk population will be too afriad to take it in most cases. It's a tough spot to be in but I really believe that is what we are facing. A decision will have to be made because we can't afford to f##k the economy more than we already have, do people really think we can afford throwing all this welfare payments around for as long as they feel like keeping the country locked down. The real panic will come after we have long gotten over our fears of Covid.

Not downplaying the losses we have seen due to this, but at some point we need to look forward and keep in mind our Country future when making these decisions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

DilD wrote: »
    There is no stopping the spread, only slowing it momentarily during a lockdown, the longer we are in lockdown the longer we just put off rising numbers again. All we can do is let it run it's course and utilise a vaccine when one becomes widely available.

This going to come as a real shocker, but that is the objective - keep the numbers low enough so they can be handed. We know practically nothing about this virus in particular we have no idea of the long term consequences of have had this virus. For all we know it could dramatically reduce people’s life expectancy or result in chronic healthcare issues that could result in states having to provide healthcare services at an unsustainable level. So we take the minimum risks necessary not the maximum allowed.

We know how to rebuild economies, we’ve done it twice in my lifetime alone, but we’ve yet to resurrect a single person. There is little point in a thriving economy if the people are not there to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

News for ya:

Oh no it isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Disappointed that no one has mentioned this yet...

https://youtu.be/LUDntpV_HdQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Absolutely can't stand Xmas tbh. All the fakery around the whole thing is enough to make you sick. We usually head off to Portugal around the 20th and avoid the whole thing for the last few years (good excuse to avoid presents and all that lark) but unfortunately this year won't get the chance.

Going to be epic to hear the absolute meltdown when there is a massive surge in cases and deaths end of January start of February because of the ridiculous selfish attitude of people insisting on carrying on as normal this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Stay at Level 5 so we can have a good Ramadan. Allah will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Fook dah. Haven't seen most of my friends all year and haven't seen family since August. I'll take tighter restrictions in Jan/Feb if I can see them safely over December. And I'm not someone struggling with lockdown or anything - it's been mostly fine, although I'm still going to work so I guess that makes things seem relatively normal - I think I might finally crack during December though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement