If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 55"-60" mid range TV

Options
  • 03-11-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hey Richers,

Going to be pulling the trigger on a new main TV this month for the living room... To be used for regular TV, Sport, Streaming, Xbox Series X.  The models that I've been looking at so far are:
    • Samsung QE55Q80T 
    • LG OLED55CX5LB
    • Sony KD55XH9505BU
    • Philips Ambilight 58PUS8555 - I like the ambilight feature, lower price I know, but how does the screen compare to the others?
    • Samsung Frame (is there an increased chance of burn-in with the art feature on all the time?)
    [*]

Any pros/cons or recommendations for any of the above models or are there similar models in that range you prefer?

The TV will have to be mounted on a wall, so a slim profile would be good, can you use any universal wall mount or do they need to be brand specific?  Any wall mount you would recommend?

Sorry for all the questions, without getting into a store it's hard to decide with the amount of models available :confused:  

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

rcs wrote: »
    Hey Richers,

Going to be pulling the trigger on a new main TV this month for the living room... To be used for regular TV, Sport, Streaming, Xbox Series X.  The models that I've been looking at so far are:
    • Samsung QE55Q80T 
    • LG OLED55CX5LB
    • Sony KD55XH9505BU
    • Philips Ambilight 58PUS8555 - I like the ambilight feature, lower price I know, but how does the screen compare to the others?
    • Samsung Frame (is there an increased chance of burn-in with the art feature on all the time?)

[*]

Any pros/cons or recommendations for any of the above models or are there similar models in that range you prefer?

The TV will have to be mounted on a wall, so a slim profile would be good, can you use any universal wall mount or do they need to be brand specific?  Any wall mount you would recommend?

Sorry for all the questions, without getting into a store it's hard to decide with the amount of models available :confused:  

Thanks in advance!
    [*]
    Thanks for the post rcs!

For picture quality alone the best TV on the list to go for would be the OLED55CX5. They give the best colour and contrast and the picture looks a lot more natural than the LED and QLED panels! The only drawback with the OLEDs is there is a risk of screen burn if a static image is left on it for too long and it isn't covered by warranty. It's a bit like the older plasmas in that regard. Saying that I've had an OLED for over a year and I haven't had any issues with screen burn myself.

If you are worried about the screen burn the next best I think would be the Sony KD55XH9505. I actually have the Sony on display next to the Samsung Q80T and there is a difference as the Sony has better motion processing as well as better colour and contrast!

For a wall bracket you can use a universal mount for all of those TVs, it would just depend if you wanted a flat, tilting or full motion bracket! We would recommend the Sanus brackets and a simple flat one is £59!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David 

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Thanks for the reply David... and any thoughts on the Philips models?  Is there a significant drop in quality of the panel and is the drop in quality worth it to have the ambilight feature?

Which is best in terms of speakers or would you need external speakers or a soundbar to make the most of them anyway?

Thanks for the reply David... and any thoughts on the Philips models?  Is there a significant drop in quality of the panel and is the drop in quality worth it to have the ambilight feature?

Which is best in terms of speakers or would you need external speakers or a soundbar to make the most of them anyway?
    Hi rcs,

The Philips TVs are great panels as well but they wouldn't give quite the same picture quality as the OLED or the Sony!

The sound is not bad in any of the TVs but no flat screen would be as good as a soundbar which would give better bass and clarity especially for voices.

Kind regards

David

Hi rcs,

The Philips TVs are great panels as well but they wouldn't give quite the same picture quality as the OLED or the Sony!

The sound is not bad in any of the TVs but no flat screen would be as good as a soundbar which would give better bass and clarity especially for voices.

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David... I'll have a think and let you know 

Sorry one other thing... will those models work out of the box with Saorview?  Or will you need an external box/aerial receiver?

• Advertisement

Sorry one other thing... will those models work out of the box with Saorview?  Or will you need an external box/aerial receiver?
    Hi RCS.

You will indeed get Saorview from the above TV's straight out of the box.

You just need to connect your aerial cable into the TV and follow the on screen setup steps.
    If a TV has a satellite input then you can connect your satellite dish and get FreeSat/Free to air Satellite which will get you the BBC stations etc.....

Any questions please let us know.

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.