Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Build

Options
  • 03-11-2020 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of an upgrade on and off all year. Most people in the last couple months suggest waiting on the new this and the new that and when you wait they will be hard to get blah blah :D

Anyway, I can wait. I may wait till the November hype is gone and see how the land lies in early 2021.

No budget per say but I don't want to go crazy either. But I do want new everything as my current setup is about 10yrs old at this stage. I even want a new desk and chair! :eek:

I don't really game these days but a new setup may entice me back into all that.

This is a list I compiled as a draft list and I open to changing and better options etc.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Undecided)

Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC (Awaiting next gen)

Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz (Undecided)

Keyboard: Logitech G413 Carbon Wired (Undecided)

Mouse: Razer Basilisk v2 Wired (Undecided)

Headphones: Sennheiser GAME ZERO Black (Undecided)

Speakers: PreSonus Eris E4.5 50 W 2.0 Channel (Undecided)

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-03 20:37 GMT+0000

EDIT: NO RGB. I like a black, sleek minimalist looking case

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd order this monitor instead. You could order it now while it's still on sale.

It's not in stock though so it might be a month or 2 before you receive it.

It's rated as the best 27"/1440p IPS monitor on the market for gaming.

Ordered 1 myself, just waiting on it. Not expected until around Christmas.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-avwe/monitors-monitor-accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Don't buy that monitor, it's outdated. BTW, 27 means 27inch and 16 means 2016. That's an (almost) 5 years old monitor.

The replacement is S2721DGF. It is cheaper, as they no longer need to pay the G-Sync penalty. And it's an IPS panel, not TN, with better colours and viewing angles, but still 144Hz/165Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks, I just added a popular monitor to the list just to add something. I have no idea really and not really a leaning towards any brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

3600 and possibly faster memory for Zen 3.

Edit: Nope 3600 it is. Memory controller is the same on Zen 3 as it was on Zen 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sennheiser Game One is a pretty good headset, very happy with mine although the HyperX Cloud was more comfortable IMHO.

For keyboard, consider TKL if mostly gaming.

Mouse: look at RocketJumpNinja's site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Good choices, I'd suggest waiting for a few things/revising some.

Defo wait for new graphics cards, Big Navi vs. Ampere. Give it at least a few weeks for nVidia to try to get its act together, AMD to release Big Navi and reviewers/first adopters to get their reviews out. It might also be a good idea to wait until the new year to see if AMD announces a Zen 3 5600. Generally, X versions of AMD Zen CPUs are just the same as no-letter versions but without a factory overclock and a heck of a lot cheaper. If you're looking at this next year, a theoretical 5600 might a better performance/value proposition vs. last gen CPUs than a 5600X which is dramatically more expensive than a 3600. If you're upgrading in the meantime, you'd do well to consider a 3600, even though it's not going to be as good in gaming, it will have similar overall performance but a dramatically reduced price tag. It will also have the benefit of being compatible "out of the box" as opposed to Zen 3, in which your 500-series board might need a BIOS update before you can use it.

I would also consider changing an X570 mainboard for a B550. The X570 requires active cooling (i.e. an onboard fan) and tends to be more expensive than B550, but I think it offers more PCIE Gen 4 and USB, so it might be useful in some cases.

SeanW wrote: »
    Good choices, I'd suggest waiting for a few things/revising some.

Defo wait for new graphics cards, Big Navi vs. Ampere. Give it at least a few weeks for nVidia to try to get its act together, AMD to release Big Navi and reviewers/first adopters to get their reviews out. It might also be a good idea to wait until the new year to see if AMD announces a Zen 3 5600. Generally, X versions of AMD Zen CPUs are just the same as no-letter versions but without a factory overclock and a heck of a lot cheaper. If you're looking at this next year, a theoretical 5600 might a better performance/value proposition vs. last gen CPUs than a 5600X which is dramatically more expensive than a 3600. If you're upgrading in the meantime, you'd do well to consider a 3600, even though it's not going to be as good in gaming, it will have similar overall performance but a dramatically reduced price tag. It will also have the benefit of being compatible "out of the box" as opposed to Zen 3, in which your 500-series board might need a BIOS update before you can use it.

I would also consider changing an X570 mainboard for a B550. The X570 requires active cooling (i.e. an onboard fan) and tends to be more expensive than B550, but I think it offers more PCIE Gen 4 and USB, so it might be useful in some cases.

Thanks for that SeanW. I assumed I would need an X570 board for the newer CPU's coming out. I was leaning towards a 3600 all year but EVERYONE is saying wait for the new stuff. I am hearing a lot of talk around Navi but I have no idea what it is haha so I will do some homework.

As I said I am in no hurry although from time to time my current setup feels like its about to die then its grand.

I guess if it does die I could get the 3600 in the mean time and sell it off if I upgrade later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

py2006 wrote: »
    Thanks for that SeanW. I assumed I would need an X570 board for the newer CPU's coming out. I was leaning towards a 3600 all year but EVERYONE is saying wait for the new stuff. I am hearing a lot of talk around Navi but I have no idea what it is haha so I will do some homework.

As I said I am in no hurry although from time to time my current setup feels like its about to die then its grand.

I guess if it does die I could get the 3600 in the mean time and sell it off if I upgrade later.

A B550 board is the better value choice unless you plan on using the extra features on X570.

The 5600 has yet to be announced afaik. So budget for a 5600X for now or 3600 if you want a good value option. Most games are GPU limited anyway at 1440p and 4k, so the 3600 will probably be fine if you plan on gaming at those resolutions.

Spend more on a graphics card than any other component. If you're waiting until next year lower tier next gen cards will probably be available by then. AMD 6700's - Nvidia 3060/Ti's etc.

A 5600X will (likely) max out anything above an AMD 6800/Nvidia 3070 so if you're dropping a tier below that and not competitive gaming at 1080p a 3600 will do just fine.

Just an FYI Adata allegedly swapped out the controller on the 8200 Pro for a slower one so maybe consider a different drive https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't know what the technical difference is, if any, but noticed that the Dell S2721DGF is €521.48, and out of stock, but they've the S2721DGFA in stock, and it's €433.18...

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgfa/apd/210-axrq/monitors-monitor-accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Star Lord wrote: »
    Don't know what the technical difference is, if any, but noticed that the Dell S2721DGF is €521.48, and out of stock, but they've the S2721DGFA in stock, and it's €433.18...

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgfa/apd/210-axrq/monitors-monitor-accessories

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/jmnmia/difference_between_dell_s2721dgf_and_dell/gawgyaf/

Looks like they're the same.

• Advertisement

Simi wrote: »

Just an FYI Adata allegedly swapped out the controller on the 8200 Pro for a slower one so maybe consider a different drive https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

Yea I read something about that last night too. I will change it so.

3600 and possibly faster memory for Zen 3.

Edit: Nope 3600 it is. Memory controller is the same on Zen 3 as it was on Zen 2.

Slightly confused, are you recommending the Ryzen 3600 with a 3600mhz mem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

py2006 wrote: »
    Slightly confused, are you recommending the Ryzen 3600 with a 3600mhz mem?

You should ideally use 3600 Data Rate memory. CL16 is pretty cheap. Potentially you can go as high as 3800 memory but the infinity fabric may not be able to run in sync and thats your goal.

3600 Data Rate memory is actually 1800MHz and that's what you want to set your fabric clock to. Zen 3 uses the same memoery controller (same I/O die) as Zen 2.

Almost got the 5600x just there but site keeps crashing when I try to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Hmmm, it must have replaced the older version which means I'll probably not get my order of the original at all. No word from Dell on it.

I'd just cancel and change to the new 1 but I'd want to be sure it's the same quality.

Advertisement