Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for VR

Options
  • 03-11-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭

Well lads I'm looking to get a PC for my Oculus quest 2 so I can play Half life : Alyx, Onwards, boneworks etc.. I don't game on PC outside of VR so this is specifically for VR and just general PC stuff. I picked out the below on custompc.ie and am ready to pull the trigger but the knowledge available here is a lot more than I have so anything I should change?

If I could get it down cheaper that would be cool, I have an old standard LCD monitor here would that do? I don't need a fancy one as all my gaming will be on the quest. Have a keyboard and mouse already also.

- AeroCool Playa RGB mATX DESKTOP / TOWER

-AMD® Ryzen 5™ 2600 - 6 Core Processor - 3.40GHZ - 19Mb Cache

-GIGABYTE B450M-S2H

-16GB DDR4 2666MHZ ( 2 x 8GB) - LEVEN

-Nvidia GeForce GTX1650 4GB GDDR5 - powered by the NVIDIA Turing™

-Seagate VM ™ 1 Terabyte 64MB Cache 6GB/S 5900 RPM

-Leven M.2 512GB - NVMe 3D - READ 2100 MB/s - WRITE 1600 MB/s

-KOLINK SFX 350 WATT 80+ BRONZE CERTIFIED

Comes to €950

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Do not buy from custompc, they are terribly overpriced.
    Also, you can get better parts than that selection, e.g. faster RAM (which Ryzen CPUs benefit from), faster NVMe drive, and a better PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

€950 for that. What a joke. Custom PC are legendary for their terrible prices and bad customer service.

Not only is that incredible bad value, it's also not at all suitable for VR.

Take a look at this, has a much better processor, much better graphics card, better ram, etc.

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-mb520-argb-ryzen-7-2700x-nvidia-gtx-1660-super-16gb-ram-desktop-gaming-pc.html

Configured with a 1TB NVME drive, it's still almost €200 cheaper than that Custom PC machine and blows it out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just to give you an idea of how bad that pricing is, that exact build (case, motherboard, cpu and gpu) with a better HDD (Seagate Barracuda), faster NVME drive (WD Blue), better power supply (Corsair VS350), and faster ram (Corsair LPX 3200mhz) works out at £580 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wow thanks lads. This is my first gaming rig so I'm not up to speed on a lot of stuff. Looks like I'll buy the parts from Amazon and build it myself. Should be a fun learning experience

Homelander that build you posted is there anything on that in particular that you would change for a VR PC? Or is it good as is.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

GPU - more is better for VR. I'd consider the even the 2060 borderline.

3600 RAM and upgrade the PSU from an Aerocool unit, they're not great.

Edit: I'd also go with a B550 motherboard rather then the B450 for PCIe 4.0. It's not an issue at the moment but may be for storage and even possibly GPUs in the future given if you really get into VR you start to go down the high performance GPU rabbit hole.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the input. I've put together a list on Amazon if someone wouldn't mind taking a look and just making sure everything is compatible and I'm not missing anything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/1BVDPYR52H2DQ?ref_=wl_share

Total comes to a little over €1100

Thanks very much for the input. I've put together a list on Amazon if someone wouldn't mind taking a look and just making sure everything is compatible and I'm not missing anything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/1BVDPYR52H2DQ?ref_=wl_share

Total comes to a little over €1100

Much better build. Only things I would change would be a bigger PSU, would aim for circa 650w just for comfort, and the 2070 super is outdated now with the release of the 3070, although it isn't widely available yet but is much more powerful for similar enough money, and AMD are releasing the 6800 soon which is a bit more expensive but reportedly a step over the 3070 again.

Much better build. Only things I would change would be a bigger PSU, would aim for circa 650w just for comfort, and the 2070 super is outdated now with the release of the 3070, although it isn't widely available yet but is much more powerful for similar enough money, and AMD are releasing the 6800 soon which is a bit more expensive but reportedly a step over the 3070 again.

Thanks I'm going to pick up a couple of parts a week so if that's the case I'll hold off on the GPU until I can pick up a 3070. Would it be more freely available this side of Christmas or later?

Thanks I'm going to pick up a couple of parts a week so if that's the case I'll hold off on the GPU until I can pick up a 3070. Would it be more freely available this side of Christmas or later?

Hard to say to be honest! Worth keeping an eye on over the next few weeks and see if they start to filter into places, at the moment they're selling out as soon as they go up, and in some cases at massive markups. But would be a much better investment than the 2070 super at a similar price point.

Advertisement