Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etap battery tabs breaking off

Options
  • 04-11-2020 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Charged up my Etap batteries there for a spin and the rear battery wouldn't seat right.

Had a look and the little tab at the bottom had broken off and was sitting in the charger.

Inspected the forward one and sure enough its cracked too but hasn't failed yet.

Im disgusted! I googled it and the problem is endemic . Thread upon thread on cycling forums of this problem.

Has anyone on here experienced it?

Anyone here had it resolved via warranty or have any tips to prevent it happening in future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    Charged up my Etap batteries there for a spin and the rear battery wouldn't seat right.

Had a look and the little tab at the bottom had broken off and was sitting in the charger.

Inspected the forward one and sure enough its cracked too but hasn't failed yet.

Im disgusted! I googled it and the problem is endemic . Thread upon thread on cycling forums of this problem.

Anyone here had it resolved via warranty or have any tips to prevent it happening in future?

Should be a warranty issue Have etap on 2 bikes no problems so far with batteries Had a look after reading your post and dont see issues, I would contact SRAM directly indicating supplier might hurry things up-

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

QUOTE=benneca1;115168279]Should be a warranty issue Have etap on 2 bikes no problems so far with batteries Had a look after reading your post and dont see issues, I would contact SRAM directly indicating supplier might hurry things up-[/QUOTE]

i have them two years. how long have you been using them?

or how many km's have you ridden on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Should be covered under warranty. Go back to point of sale with pictures and they'll arrange a replacement.

jayjbe wrote: »
    Should be covered under warranty. Go back to point of sale with pictures and they'll arrange a replacement.

out of warranty by 4 weeks.

Im still furious. With covid i have barely been out on the bike this year.

The bike (and by extension the batteries) have only done 2775km since new.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

out of warranty by 4 weeks.

Im still furious. With covid i have barely been out on the bike this year.

The bike (and by extension the batteries) have only done 2775km since new.

If you have bought these within 2 years your should be covered under European Law. I had a Kickr core replaced after 12 months. Wahoo themselves advised this law to me.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm#:~:text=EU%20law%20also%20stipulates%20that,you%20to%20provide%20longer%20guarantees.

• Advertisement

ruffmut wrote: »
    If you have bought these within 2 years your should be covered under European Law. I had a Kickr core replaced after 12 months. Wahoo themselves advised this law to me.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm#:~:text=EU%20law%20also%20stipulates%20that,you%20to%20provide%20longer%20guarantees.

im 4 weeks beyond the 2 years, but as i say due to covid the product essentially saw no meaningful use this calendar year.

Its 2 years of time yes, but no where near 2 years of use. The bike is attached to a wahoo kickr in my bedroom all year basically .it hasn't seen a drop of rain in its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

im 4 weeks beyond the 2 years, but as i say due to covid the product essentially saw no meaningful use this calendar year.

Its 2 years of time yes, but no where near 2 years of use. The bike is attached to a wahoo kickr in my bedroom all year basically .it hasn't seen a drop of rain in its life.

If I was you I’d write to SRAM directly or try to find if there is a main service centre in the UK. I got a free repair just by emailing a Campagnolo centre asking for advice on a problem that I was claiming was a design flaw, without going OTT. They were very nice in their reply and offered a free repair as a goodwill gesture. It helped that I knew the guy had an online presence and might be open to correspondence.

In my opinion your problem definitely sounds like a design flaw. It’s not something like a chain that is expected to wear out.

Also did the place of purchase refuse you or are you assuming you would be refused based on the 4 weeks. It never hurts to ask.

hesker wrote: »
    If I was you I’d write to SRAM directly or try to find if there is a main service centre in the UK. I got a free repair just by emailing a Campagnolo centre asking for advice on a problem that I was claiming was a design flaw, without going OTT. They were very nice in their reply and offered a free repair as a goodwill gesture. It helped that I knew the guy had an online presence and might be open to correspondence.

In my opinion your problem definitely sounds like a design flaw. It’s not something like a chain that is expected to wear out.

Also did the place of purchase refuse you or are you assuming you would be refused based on the 4 weeks. It never hurts to ask.

place of purchase (cyclestoreuk) refused.

Advertisement