Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, And the winner is.......... (pt 4) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Alanhooly wrote:
    When I went to bed Biden was 1/12, he's now 1/5. What's happened??

Probably nothing, the dems have a lot of work to do over the next 4 years, and they have to fix donnies mess to

• Registered Users Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Depends. When did you go to bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

For anyone who doesn't gamble:

Thought you d be gone from here

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I thought she was recounting the names of the Oompa Loompas from Willy Wonka midway through there

• Advertisement

Ekerot wrote:
    I thought she was recounting the names of the Oompa Loompas from Willy Wonka midway through there

You watched it all? I was bored immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Peregrinus wrote:
    Depends. When did you go to bed?

3am

3am
    OK, so about 4 hrs ago.

In that time:

- Growing possibility that AZ, which has been called for Biden, could actually go for Trump. That's not a probability, but it's more of a possiblity than was previously thought.

- Growing confidence that if PA count continues PA will go for Biden. That would win him the election, even if AZ does flip back to Trump.

- Trump has launched court proceedings in an attempt to prevent votes being counted in PA.

- However at best Trump is likely to get postal votes received after polling day excluded. If postal votes received on or before polling day are counted, best estimate at this point is that Biden wins PA.

Any change in odds in the last 4 hours mostly represents the combined effect of these factors.

Because journalists and media outlets look at the context in which protests are held to determine is there a moral element to the cause being protested against or called for.

I had to laugh at this... US media are so morally bankrupt that they couldn't be trusted to report fairly on the grass growing. The last four years (and the previous election) have shown just how much bias exists.. and there's no interest in fair/honest reporting from any of them. They all follow their biases, so... the idea that the media look at the context is crap. They create the context.. I'm always amazed at how people will give concessions to the media/politicians if they're against Trump..
    You can't fault people for drawing conclusions from guy who interrupted a press briefing earlier talking about the election being stolen wearing a 'Beer BBQ Freedom' T-shirt and someone else protesting with a T-shirt saying 'I can't breathe'.

Everyone has seen Trump fan the flames in this respect and even Twitter called a halt to it.

Not sure why people continue to be surprised by what Trump or Trump fans could possibly do. For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised at what those who are anti-Trump can do either. That nation is full to the brim with extremists of all agendas.
    Not all protests are equal.

Err.. who gets to decide that? Would you be happy with Trump supporters deciding what protests have value? Nah. I didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any sign of Biden being hoisted up on the shoulders of his mates while they sing The Green and Red of Mayo yet?

• Advertisement

Err.. who gets to decide that? Would you be happy with Trump supporters deciding what protests have value? Nah. I didn't think so.

Anyone who's commenting clearly. Anyone with a bit of sense who can see that a protest to try and stop systemic racism in a country where black people are killed by police with impunity, is different to a protest to try to stop election votes being counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I had to laugh at this... US media are so morally bankrupt that they couldn't be trusted to report fairly on the grass growing. The last four years (and the previous election) have shown just how much bias exists.. and there's no interest in fair/honest reporting from any of them. They all follow their biases, so... the idea that the media look at the context is crap. They create the context.. I'm always amazed at how people will give concessions to the media/politicians if they're against Trump..

Not sure why people continue to be surprised by what Trump or Trump fans could possibly do. For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised at what those who are anti-Trump can do either. That nation is full to the brim with extremists of all agendas.

Just re your last sentence there, that is not true at all, and goes along with everyone's opinion is equally valid, possibly the feelings inside are the same, but there is a huge difference between protest done by disenfranchised people and protest done by people who don't want to lose their power over these people. One is frustration, the other is greed.

If you disagree with violence that's fair enough but saying all protests are the same is like that quote all it takes for bad to happen is for good to do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Thought you d be gone from here
    kid will shortly poo his pants when it sinks in that trump has lost and the uk have to come crawling to the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The last 4 years have seen Trump live in the closest existence yet of the Truman show experience. Never before has so much of a Presidents words or actions, and most definitely (thanks to Trump on Twitter) their thoughts being broadcast verbatim.

I don't buy the excuse of the media having a bias in that I can see and hear his actions and words myself and draw my own conclusion. As can everyone else. The infamous 'Disinfectant' press conference is a case in point.
    This aside, the fact seems to be ignored that despite the accusation that there are anti-Trump media personalities, there most definitely are pro-Trump ones as well. Many give out about the 'Main Stream Media' but ignore that Fox has 18 of the 50 most watched cable news shows and they are big fans, printed journals such as the NEw York Post are similar, online portals such as Brietbart are as vehemently pro-Trump as the Huffington post are anti-trump.

As for who decides the merit of one protest over another? We all do. It's called an opinion.

Donald, YOUR FIRED

Arizona came back in to the mix. Sort of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The last 4 years have seen Trump live in the closest existence yet of the Truman show experience. Never before has so much of a Presidents words or actions, and most definitely (thanks to Trump on Twitter) their thoughts being broadcast verbatim.

I don't buy the excuse of the media having a bias in that I can see and hear his actions and words myself and draw my own conclusion. As can everyone else. The infamous 'Disinfectant' press conference is a case in point.
    This aside, the fact seems to be ignored that despite the accusation that there are anti-Trump media personalities, there most definitely are pro-Trump ones as well. Many give out about the 'Main Stream Media' but ignore that Fox has 18 of the most watched cable news shows and they are big fans, printed journals such as the NEw York Post are similar, online portals such as Brietbart are as vehemently pro-Trump as the Huffington post are anti-trump.

As for who decides the merit of one protest over another? We all do. It's called an opinion.

Breitbart and fox news? You must be joking. Far right news. What's there for the average Republican?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Breitbart and fox news? You must be joking. Far right news. What's there for the average Republican?

Surely the popularly of Fox would indicate it's being watched by the average republican?

Anyone who's commenting clearly. Anyone with a bit of sense who can see that a protest to try and stop systemic racism in a country where black people are killed by police with impunity, is different to a protest to try to stop election votes being counted.
    The contrast being made here is not between Trumpistas protesting againt the US election count/results and BLM supporters protesting against systemic racism; it's bewteen Trumpistas protesting againt the US election count/results and people in other countries protesting against their country's election count/results. Protests against foreign elections are presumed to have some basis in fact; the Trumpista protests are presumed (by US media) to have none.

There are three factors at work here.

One is that Trumpism is widely perceived to be a movement fuelled by ignorance, delusion and denial, and therefore the default assumption is that their protests about anything are likely to be misconceived or baseless.

The second is the presumption that the US is the greatest democracy the world has ever seen, and therefore the default assumption is that protests questioning the soundness of its democratic processes must be misconceived or baseless.

The third is that Trump announced repeatedly, well in advance of the election, that he would not accept the result if it did not please him, and that the election process would be corrupted. He did this in advance of the process unfolding and he has never, then or since, produced any evidence at all of corruption or impropriety (of a kind that would disadvantage him). So, again, this leads to a default assumption that the protests are not against any objective facts that suggest the US democratic process has been undermined; rather, they are intended themselves to undermine the US democratic process.

I'll be thinking of a certain few posters here during Trumps acceptance speech. Posters who called me an idiot and a racist for supporting this great leader. Epic ownage coming from the man himself, its no more than ya deserve!
    What time is his acceptance speech on at ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Clearly these protestors aren't protesting that the election was rigged to keep the ruling elite in power; they want the ruling elite kept in power, and they haven't at any point protested against transparent Republican attempts to rig the election for that purpose.

There protest is that the election is being rigged to get Trump out of power, the rigging apparently taking the form of counting all the votes cast.
    This is such transparent sh!te that no sane and self-respecting person would compare it to a protest alleging that the party in power has rigged the election to retain power.

Both parties are ruling elite

Fox News..... it's the largest news channel in America. It is the mainstream media.

So you're saying Fox is far right?
    That should put to bed the argument that Trump has been trying to appeal to the Far Right. Be interesting to see if more here agree with you.

I would suggest a lot of the local affiliate networks, stations and print media are whatever brand of conservative you feel is 'average'.

The Boston Globe, for example, declared for Trump last week. Every county in Massachusetts voted Blue yesterday.

Both parties are ruling elite
    Yes, but that just underlines my point. Trumpista protests are in no way protests against the ruling elite; they are at most protests in support of one faction within the ruling elite against another.

BLM protests, now, might reasonably be categorised as protests against the ruling elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

Fox News..... it's the largest news channel in America. It is the mainstream media.

Also known as lamestream media by some people.

But it's just the usual - if a media doesn't report things exactly the way some people want, they're "far" right/left, or biased. Which makes it sound as if the mainstream media is unreliable, even when it's not.

So you're saying Fox is far right?
    That should put to bed the argument that Trump has been trying to appeal to the Far Right. Be interesting to see if more here agree with you.

I would suggest a lot of the local affiliate networks, stations and print media are whatever brand of conservative you feel is 'average'.

The Boston Globe, for example, declared for Trump last week. Every county in Massachusetts voted Blue yesterday.
    Cough, cough. Might want to recheck some of your facts, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Arizona came back in to the mix. Sort of.
    This from about 24 hours ago,
    dinorebel wrote: »
    ....Fox confirmed Arizona for a 2nd time.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Cough, cough. Might want to recheck some of your facts, there.

Will do. I will try to see where I heard it. I'm sure I did. I even stopped in a shop yesterday to see if their front page was imploring people to vote to that effect. (it didn't either way)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Overheal wrote: »

Dangerous mob situation ?

Not that I agree with the protest but looks like a crowd gathered, have they started attacking police,burning buildings and looting stores yet ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Jeez Arizona what are you doing

Gap closes by 10k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement