Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, And the winner is.......... (pt 4) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Phoebas wrote: »
    You know things are bad when Simon Harris is trolling you on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1324367095610703875

No bandwagon this lad won't jump on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

What fascists are you thinking of, a fascist who not a single journalist is even remotely afraid of? Who has no more power than any other president in the past?

He's called journalists 'the enemy of the people' and bomb threats by his followers have been sent to CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Penn wrote: »
    Even funnier when considering which of those stations Trump is probably watching

I always visualise Trump in a room with 10 telly's, all on 10 different stations, watching all of the coverage of himself all at once

A bit like Lex Luthor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

biden trump

253 214

alaska 3 3
    nevada 6 6
    arizona 11 11
    PA 20 20
    georgia 16 16
    NC 15 15

270 268

trump will need to win 4, and flip nevada. the chances are extremely remote for trump

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1324138004261277700

Looks like the FAA already called it for President Biden...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Overheal wrote: »
    With 16 electoral votes, if Georgia goes to Biden, Trump can have Arizona all day. It won't matter. That would put Biden at 269 Electoral votes, the EC would be a tie and the House (led by Democrats) would decide the election in January.

I think the issue with the House deciding though is that there's some f*cky thing where it's not Dem votes vs GOP votes, but it goes by states which could weirdly give the GOP the majority of votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

biko wrote: »
    So, is the electoral college still bad thing?

Biden would have won yesterday if it went on the popular vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

People who come out with bigoted views, like those that reared their head during the marriage equality referendum or those that screamed "BABY MURDERERS" during the Eighth Repeal campaign deserve all the mocking, opprobrium and ostracism they received.

People who believe that life begins at conception are not bigots. They hold perfectly legitimate political beliefs and they absolutely do not deserve to be personally bullied or attacked for those beliefs any more than someone who believes that life begins at some point after conception, as I do.

It's absolute bullsh!t that one's political beliefs are now fundamentally intertwined with how one is treated as an individual. The politics of the 90s and moreso the politics of the 2000s which we grew up with had a fundamentally live-and-let-live basis to it apart from the extreme fringes, but political intolerance was made mainstream in the 2010s by the illiberal left. That's my point. The alt-right emerged as an equal and opposite reaction to that bullsh!t.

Look, we can debate the merits or demerits of it all we like, but one thing that's indisputable is that this bullying from the left loses elections. It's a much, much, much bigger factor in both the Trump and Brexit results of 2016 than many people are willing to admit. I know of so many people who voted the way they did simply because "this is a democracy and nobody gets to tell me which way to vote or attack my character as a person if I don't comply". The flood of "maybe there should be IQ tests or age limits for voting" after both results was nothing short of anti-democratic, abhorrent lashing out by the side which didn't win.

I've been an activist since my early teens and I have seen this since the beginning. Reasoned arguments and friendly conversations swing undecided voters. Hostile campaigning along the lines of "you're either with us or you're an evil monster who deserves to be treated like sh!t" pushes people away. Hell, I even remember this happening in one of the first political movements I was ever involved in, Save Our Seafront in Dun Laoghaire - there was a very bitter split midway through the campaign because a group of people involved in the campaign were reported to be verbally abusing members of the public who didn't agree with their position without asking questions when they were out campaigning. I personally know people who either didn't vote or voted against Repeal for no reason other than "I got sick of being told that I was a monster who should be bullied for being undecided or having nuances about the issue".

Whether you like it or not, human beings as a rule are stubborn and do not like being told what to do. It's as simple as that. You don't win an election by chiding and condescending to people for not "doing the right thing", you win an election by persuading people that voting for you is doing the right thing. Shouting "Nazi!" "Fascist!" "Bigot!" at every single person who doesn't automatically share your personal political beliefs or your interpretation of fundamental philosophical issues, such as when life begins, the definition of gender, the meaning of free speech, etc, is your prerogative - but to turn around and then say "why are all these people becoming so extreme and refusing to engage with mainstream politics?" is absolutely f*cking moronic. The answer is right there - people don't like being bullied or talked down to, and for far, far, far too long mainstream politics - thanks to the identity nutcases on the left - has regarded this as acceptable behaviour.

Again, I'm not here to make a moral argument on it, I'm making a pragmatic argument. Personally abuse the opposition all you like - personally I think anyone who does this is a f*cking asshole but that's only my opinion. Everyone can do what they like. But don't then go around whining that the right wing is gaining supporters, or scratching your head and saying "Why? Why won't these people who my side have spent the last ten years bullying and mocking consider voting for my candidate or voting for my referendum proposal?"

It's ridiculous. Anyone who knows the first thing about human nature knows precisely why the right wing has become so extreme in the 2010s. The vast majority of them did not start out this way, but their extremism is the inevitable equal and opposite reaction (yes, Newton's Third Law can be extremely easily applied to basic human instincts and behaviours) to the "our opinions are facts, and if you question them, you're a scumbag" bullsh!t which the identity-left began to peddle in the early 2010s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

With 16 electoral votes, if Georgia goes to Biden, Trump can have Arizona all day. It won't matter. That would put Biden at 269 Electoral votes, the EC would be a tie and the House (led by Democrats) would decide the election in January.

Correct if I'm wrong but I thought it was done by state in the house, i.e. votes per state not per member?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Considering Biden is almost 4million votes ahead but Trump could still win the election.... Yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Electoral College is the only reason we are still having this conversation.

Biden is ahead nationally by 3,692,260 votes (+2.6%)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

well it's definitely more entertaining, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In it's current form - Yes.

I totally understand the need for each state to have a voice and the ability to influence the election , but it's currently out of kilter given the demographic/geographic shifts over the last 20/30 years.

Something has to change to make it more equitable for the actual people rather than the monolithic "States"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I always visualise Trump in a room with 10 telly's, all on 10 different stations, watching all of the coverage of himself all at once

A bit like Lex Luthor

Or when Mr Burns goes mad and is wearing cardboard boxes on his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Correct if I'm wrong but I thought it was done by state in the house, i.e. votes per state not per member?

"If the votes go to the House, states will vote as units. What that means: All of the House members from one state come together and vote, like their own mini state. Each delegation gets one vote."

You'd have to drill into the math of which state delegations will be decided by Republicans or Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

"If the votes go to the House, states will vote as units. What that means: All of the House members from one state come together and vote, like their own mini state. Each delegation gets one vote."

You'd have to drill into the math of which state delegations will be decided by Republicans or Democrats.

Republicans hold majority in more state delegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shockingly bad. An appallingly broken relic of a bygone era.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,374 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

flazio wrote: »
    What's the situation with Winsconson(10)?
    CNN and others have called it for Biden but the BBC say their sources reckon it's still too close to call and therefore the BBC have Biden still at 243 instead of 253. Honestly I want Biden to get through but I'm reluctant to believe it'll happen until I see him on the steps holding the Bible.

BBC are wrong on this, completely wrong.

There were approx 600 votes not counted as of yesterday morning central time, but the count was effectively completed in terms of what they they need to count. Trump is entitled to ask for a recount so long as he pays for it. But that recount won't start until after the official certification of the results. The certification process starts now and involves the official reporting of each county in the state to the central secretary, who then totals it up and provides the official count.

This may be confusing for people, but BBC should understand the process better. In terms of the count and the results that feeds to the press via the Edison systems, this is done. There are no more votes to be counted, a clear 20k result is in place. Trump can request a recount, but the state should be projected for Biden. No recount has ever found more than a few hundred votes in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the braver networks should call georgia for biden in the next 1 - 2 hours, then you can all pop your bottles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Shockingly bad. An appallingly broken relic of a bygone era.

its hard to agree with it when you can win the election with 23% of the popular vote.

as far as i am aware, when states (with a total of 270 EC votes) vote to change it, it will be changed. there are already a bunch that have ratified that, they are just waiting on a few more.

at about 23 mins in:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

its hard to agree with it when you can win the election with 23% of the popular vote.

as far as i am aware, when states (with a total of 270 EC votes) vote to change it, it will be changed. there are already a bunch that have ratified that, they are just waiting on a few more.

The electoral college makes a lot of sense.

And no, posting your meme youtuber won't make your argument look good and people aren't going to go to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Earlier people were saying that he just meant voting should stop and of course he isn't saying that legitimate votes coming in after election day shouldn't be counted. Well, he's saying it now:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324368202139357186

Any guesses as to what he "really means" this time? Because it looks to me like he's outright calling for legitimate votes to be thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Any guesses as to what he "really means" this time? Because it looks to me like he's outright calling for legitimate votes to be thrown out.
    It's a cry of rage similar to a toddler when they can't get something they want. I doubt he knows what he wants other than to not lose.

It's his family and minions who are running around trying to make him happy which are the really dangerous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Earlier people were saying that he just meant voting should stop and of course he isn't saying that legitimate votes coming in after election day shouldn't be counted. Well, he's saying it now:

Jesus, he's some bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,176 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is becoming more like Veruca Salt every day.
    Continues to embarrass himself, zero humility or self awareness, can't say I am shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Assuming he wins, I can’t wait to see how Biden refers to Trump in his victory speech. Usually, the winner will say something nice about the previous person/challenger and their character. I’m not sure that Biden will be able to do that with any degree of credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Jesus, he's some bollocks.

He's absolutely pathetic. Unbelievable there are people who support this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Melania is in the bunker with Barron.

Daddy is upstairs chomping down on McDonalds throwing random shít at aides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

hmmm wrote: »
    It's a cry of rage similar to a toddler when they can't get something they want. I doubt he knows what he wants other than to not lose.

It's his family and minions who are running around trying to make him happy which are the really dangerous ones.

True. Imagine being one of his more reasonable advisors (if he has any left). Try to explain the facts to him and he probably just stamps his feet screaming "no no no NO"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement