Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, And the winner is.......... (pt 4) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

True and it's a big concern. A big economic concern too, which I always feel is weirdly overlooked - the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US is medical debt, somebody drowning in medical debt is hamstrung in terms of generating GDP surely? At some point even Wall Street psychopaths have to recognise a common good.

Despite all the cheers for the ACA there is no competition at all. I get offered one provider and I am sick of the bills that come in. ACA was a half arsed job at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I think we both agree with each other more than you think.

If we look at policies and what the country needed in 2020 then Warren was probably the most interesting choice, but obviously the Dem base main concern was beating Trump.

That was something that haunted both Bernie and Warren, they had much more exciting politics, but Biden's obvious strength in the rust belt and Obama connection was much more alluring.

For me from a pure politics POV, he and Mayor Pete (the Democrat version of Rubio) were the least appealing choices in that field, but most people are not policy nerds and just a want a return to supposed normality of a time before Trump, I totally understand that.

Worth saying, Warren suffered because WOCs dislike her. People often invoke Biden's involvement with the crime bill, but IME, from asking around and reading up, there's a legit distrust of Warren in Black, Native and Latin (I know...) voters because of her former life as a Republican. They haven't forgotten.

By contrast young Black voters love Harris, which is why she features in so many Twitter/tiktok memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

If nothing is called tonight what's the likelihood we'll see some results tomorrow?

I think arizona and georgia (with some caveats) could be called. I would assume nevada too. But Penn depends on more court cases I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

HDMI wrote: »
    The ACA could be gone before Biden even takes office
    That would be a dangerous game, since it looks like there will be two runoffs for Georgia Senate seats come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Knock yourself out.

But also bear in mind that, in an election in which voters are permitted only a simplistic binary choice, a comparison of policy positions won't necessarily be the decisive factor. Undoubtedly Biden's strongest electoral draw has always been that he's not Donald Trump, and that's something that the Republicans could never dispute and could never counter.

Yep.

A lot of people simply are not policy nerds and that is completely fine.

If I were to tell people that I was posting at 3.35 on a Friday morning on boards.ie about this ****e they'd be horrified.:pac:

Biden been less ****e than Trump is a more than an enough of a reason to vote for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That would be a dangerous game, since it looks like there will be two runoffs for Georgia Senate seats come January.

If both seats go democrat (they won’t) Medicare for all baby

Tippex wrote: »
    I think arizona and georgia (with some caveats) could be called. I would assume nevada too. But Penn depends on more court cases I think.

Nevada not releasing anything until 9am east coast time tomorrow and Georgia said today that it will be days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Tippex wrote: »
    Its irrelevant for me like most posters here as I have no vote.

But the fact that he will get a handle on the covid response and be pro-active.
    Rejoin paris accord.
    Put a focus back on climate change.
    Sort out the whole medicaid end of things.
    Be a lot less divisive than Trump has been.

is the covd reponse bad? currently on par with mainland europe and large swaths of south america. by DmM, or Cases/M

climate change...lets be honest. everyone agrees something needs to be done; but no one will accept the tax rises it requires.

mediad...can't comment on just know when the gov foots the bill the price goes up.

the paris accord...bit clueless if you can fill me in!.

Overheal wrote: »

can i join too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

It will be an absolutely insane race with massive amounts of money thrown at it. Unlikely Democrats can win both for sure, but I don't think it's entirely outside the realms of possibility.

A lot will depend on how Trump and the Republicans act in the next couple months, I'd say.

• Advertisement

It will be an absolutely insane race with massive amounts of money thrown at it. Unlikely Democrats can win both for sure, but I don't think it's entirely outside the realms of possibility.

A lot will depend on how Trump and the Republicans act in the next couple months, I'd say.

how much money?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

It's taking 2 days to count feck all votes. What are they up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

is the covd reponse bad? currently on par with mainland europe and large swaths of south america. by DmM, or Cases/M

climate change...lets be honest. everyone agrees something needs to be done; but no one will accept the tax rises it requires.

mediad...can't comment on just know when the gov foots the bill the price goes up.

the paris accord...bit clueless if you can fill me in!.

Seriously, go and do some research yourself instead of trying to get people to argue with you on topics you clearly are uneducated about.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,730 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I think we both agree with each other more than you think.

If we look at policies and what the country needed in 2020 then Warren was probably the most interesting choice, but obviously the Dem base main concern was beating Trump.

That was something that haunted both Bernie and Warren, they had much more exciting politics, but Biden's obvious strength in the rust belt and Obama connection was much more alluring.

For me from a pure politics POV, he and Mayor Pete (the Democrat version of Rubio) were the least appealing choices in that field, but most people are not policy nerds and just a want a return to supposed normality of a time before Trump, I totally understand that.

Yeah, to be honest I was dismayed when Biden first won the nomination. But the way circumstances have developed, it's become a clever pragmatic choice.

No-one is passionate about him, but he's made himself a political everyman - as you say he has the obvious Obama connection and the rust belt support, but has also tailored his policies to be more socially conscious than you would have expected from him.

As I said above, Climate is the big one for me, as it transcends national governance, it's just a global imperative. But stuff like healthcare, and raising federal minimum wage are big. The latter especially... it's one of the things that makes the US a joke when it comes to the supposed American Dream. Trumps employment figures have been good, but with a current federal minimum wage of 7.25 it means it's easy to have a job, but hard to make a living. I know far too many people working 80+ hours a week across 3 jobs because of that minimum wage.

The Biden we see running tonight is I think sort of a souped-up re-fitted Biden with key bits of other candidates strapped on. And that I can live with.

how much money?

If the Senate is up for grabs then 100's of millions

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Beholders

Strumms wrote: »
    Trump has repeatedly questioned the science behind global warming.... for the simple reason it’s not compatible with his status as first and foremost being the friend and ally of big business, 2 days ago...Trump exited the US from the Paris climate accord. Why ? Because he wants to suit his mates in big business, to be successful. He values balance sheets and the health thereof ahead of the health of the planet.

I actually agree with this statement, Trump is about the cooperate, not the citizen, or individual. Ah for f**k sake I was aware of climate change in the early 1980's, I was also aware of the pandemic on the 31st Dec 2019. All I'm using is common sense and social media. my point is if I was aware through does channels how come the world leader Trump wasn't aware it was so bloody obvious. We now are all aware, it's now time to do something different. Strange (times) to Change (times). Strange to Change for ourselves

I think both democrats in those races will be legitimately annoyed that so much money was wasted on vanity projects to unseat Mitch and Graham when it should have gone to Georgia.

Mitch is shrewd enough to figure out how to hold at least one seat, but he needs Trump to go away asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

If nothing is called tonight what's the likelihood we'll see some results tomorrow?

Arizona's Maricopa County (one of it most populated) will be posting batches of results at on Friday 9am and 7pm local time (4pm Friday and 2am Saturday here).

Best twitter account for Arizona results is @Garrett_Archer

Best twitter account for Nevada results is @RalstonReports

Best place for Georgia and Pennsylvania reports is CNN.

Georgia's Clayton County (suburban Atlanta, last batch of votes split 84.9% for Biden) is due to give a final result for about 5,700 ballots at Midnight local time/5am here.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Nevada not releasing anything until 9am east coast time tomorrow and Georgia said today that it will be days

Georgia gap is less than 1k with only a few ten-thousand votes to go. I suspect we might get a result sooner rather than later.

Do you reckon Trump will suddenly believe in the integrity of the election when Arizona flips back his way?

• Advertisement

Arizona will be posting batches of results at 9am and 7pm local time (4am and 2pm Friday here).

Best twitter account for Arizona results is @Garrett_Archer

Best twitter account for Nevada results is @RalstonReports

Best place for Georgia and Pennsylvania reports is CNN.

Georgia's Clayton County (suburban Atlanta, last batch of votes split 84.9% for Biden) is due to give a final result for about 5,700 ballots at Midnight local time/5am here.

"Of the votes yet to be counted in Georgia, more than 5,000 come from Clayton County, a heavily Democratic area south of Atlanta." - NYT

dont-give-me-hope-meme-3.jpg

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Georgia gap is less than 1k with only a few ten-thousand votes to go. I suspect we might get a result sooner rather than later.

Can't give a result because of the overseas votes and provional votes.

If the Senate is up for grabs then 100's of millions

if i come in through the southern border, and i quids in?

is it true, i can break the law and still not be sent home?

Do you reckon Trump will suddenly believe in the integrity of the election when Arizona flips back his way?

Will be funny what he has to say to Fox and them calling it early :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,730 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can't give a result because of the overseas votes and provional votes.

Yeah, with how close that it it's very hard for them to make a definitive call till those additional votes come in. By the time they do, PA will likely have already made it irrelevant.

if i come in through the southern border, and i quids in?

is it true, i can break the law and still not be sent home?

Even if you're a kid in a diaper best you will get is a trip back to Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Even if you're a kid in a diaper best you will get is a trip back to Mexico.

Or you might never get to see your parents again.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, with how close that it it's very hard for them to make a definitive call till those additional votes come in. By the time they do, PA will likely have already made it irrelevant.

Still questions on the PA result if they are counting votes that came in after the 3rd. Justice Alito in the Supreme court left the door open for those to be challenged. The court in PA messed up ruling that votes could be accepted after the 3rd when their own state rules say only the legislature can make that decision. Fun times ahead.

Or you might never get to see your parents again.

Were they your parents to begin with ;)

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, to be honest I was dismayed when Biden first won the nomination. But the way circumstances have developed, it's become a clever pragmatic choice.

No-one is passionate about him, but he's made himself a political everyman - as you say he has the obvious Obama connection and the rust belt support, but has also tailored his policies to be more socially conscious than you would have expected from him.

As I said above, Climate is the big one for me, as it transcends national governance, it's just a global imperative. But stuff like healthcare, and raising federal minimum wage are big. The latter especially... it's one of the things that makes the US a joke when it comes to the supposed American Dream. Trumps employment figures have been good, but with a current federal minimum wage of 7.25 it means it's easy to have a job, but hard to make a living. I know far too many people working 80+ hours a week across 3 jobs because of that minimum wage.

The Biden we see running tonight is I think sort of a souped-up re-fitted Biden with key bits of other candidates strapped on. And that I can live with.

Win with Biden or lose with Bernie sadly so yep the Democrat base picked the right choice.

And before any Bernie fans slag me off, I love the man, defended him for years , but I don't think he would have won on Tuesday night sadly.

America just isn't ready for that sort of president at this moment in time.:(

Its now up to him and his surrogates in the party to carry the torch and make sure Biden doesn't get complacent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement