Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, And the winner is.......... (pt 4) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

VinLieger wrote: »
    Lindsay Graham i think is the most senior republican ive seen supporting him, giuliani and gingirch don't really count imo.

Its down to Mitch now i think and id say hes waiting to see which way Georgia and Pennsylvania go.

Graham is a pathetic sycophant, I often think that someone has a lot of dirt on him, he's never held an opinion of his own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

paddythere wrote: »
    You're assuming the SC judges are moral and rational legal experts though. We're talking about Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, Clarence Thomas etc... Add to this the fact that Trump supporters legitimately believe there has been fraud and since Trump predicted it, this seems to confirm it for them.

The Trump's will point to a number of mistakes which inevitably happen when 150 million votes are cast (as well as conjuring up allegations of deliberate interference and anecdotal accounts) and the conservative judges will side with him imo.

I'm not sure it will inevitably go to SCOTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No Graham is a leech, he will attach to whatever will get him where he wants to go, it used to be McCain now its Trump, tomorrow..... who knows?

I'm not so sure. Most of the other senior Republicans can see how the wind is blowing and are slowly backing away from Trump. Graham is doubling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭J2CVC

Are they still counting votes or have they gone home for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Graham is a total Trump sycophant. McConnell has already said that all the votes must be counted.

I would imagine that Lindsey, knowing Trump has some dirt on him, does not want to be a victim of his scorched earth policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A republican candidate pretty much cannot win the popular vote anymore, california, NY and a few others on the eastern seaboard assure that.
    The electoral college is the only thing that means states like colorado or minesota actually have a say in their own elections

The electoral college is a joke. But I get why you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Claremorrisdub

i think if he has no other avenues left open to him when the dust settles, he will resign "in protest" pre January - and let Pence issue him with a blanket pardon :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tigger123 wrote: »
    The alleged grounds are all over the place. SC might consider the PA law but at this stage there is very little indication that it might affect the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

My maths may be a little off here so I'm open to correction, but presuming Biden has won, then Trump will become the 9th shortest serving President out of the 44 in the history of the United States when he departs in January.

Of the 8 who have stayed a shorter period - 3 died whilst in office, 2 were assassinated and you of course have Gerald Ford too who took office after Nixon's resignation.

So the only 2 Presidents to have stayed a shorter period than Trump that haven't either died, been assassinated, or taken over from a President during his term are Chester Arthur (1881) and Millard Fillmore (1850).

I know it's a nonsense looking at it by days served, and for any other President I wouldn't have bothered, but you just know these are the things that will eat away at Trump given how child-like he is! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Long (but important) Twitter thread debunking the majority of fraud claims

https://twitter.com/Ike_Saul/status/1324435797374808066?s=20

You're assuming the SC judges are moral and rational legal experts though. We're talking about Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, Clarence Thomas etc... Add to this the fact that Trump supporters legitimately believe there has been fraud and since Trump predicted it, this seems to confirm it for them.

The Trump's will point to a number of mistakes which inevitably happen when 150 million votes are cast (as well as conjuring up allegations of deliberate interference and anecdotal accounts) and the conservative judges will side with him imo.

Allegations and anecdotes are not evidence and people forget that the Supreme Court is not a trial court. If the elections have been conducted in accordance with the state laws (as seems they are) then there is nothing for them to adjudicate on.

And also the legacy of a Supreme Court justice is a matter of significant historical record. Even the likes of Coney Barrett will not want their legacy to be smeared by allegations that they pulled a stroke for Trump. They have lifetime appointments - they no longer have any need to be loyal to Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

owlbethere wrote: »
    Trumps outgoing comments are awful....
    "the election is rigged...." as an example.

Many people will probably adopt that narrative and all it will do is cause unrest if Joe Biden wins the presidency. Awful, awful, awful thing to do especially now in the middle of a pandemic with many people sick and dying over there. He never gave a sh1te about the pandemic and the health and care for his people with the novel coronavirus.

The man has zero compassion for people. An absolute terror .

The GOP put him where he is.

The U.S. is a basket case of hate and division...desperate to see, because there are some great great people living there..

Trump’s sole aim and sole achievement these past 4 years has been to divide and create mayhem and hate..awful awful human being!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Fair enough. Only time will tell. I think the plan for Trump has always been to go the SC. That's why his main focus has been on filling the courts with underqualified conservative judges who owe him a favour and alleging that the election will be fraudulent and everyone else is in on it. The end goal has always been the SC ever since Trump realized he was way behind in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Lindsay Graham i think is the most senior republican ive seen supporting him, giuliani and gingirch don't really count imo.

Its down to Mitch now i think and id say hes waiting to see which way Georgia and Pennsylvania go.
    Pence and a few others are still trying to thread the needle of placating Trump, while deliberately avoiding the worst of his 'fraud' claims by using completely uncontroversial statements:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1324503069447593988

https://twitter.com/NikkiHaley/status/1324464411419922432

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Biden up by 917 in georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Allegations and anecdotes are not evidence and people forget that the Supreme Court is not a trial court. If the elections have been conducted in accordance with the state laws (as seems they are) then there is nothing for them to adjudicate on.

And also the legacy of a Supreme Court justice is a matter of significant historical record. Even the likes of Coney Barrett will not want their legacy to be smeared by allegations that they pulled a stroke for Trump. They have lifetime appointments - they no longer have any need to be loyal to Trump.

People seem to be suggesting that her and other right wing appointees would destroy their reputation and up end democracy by nullifying a lawful election in order to keep Trump in the White House.

Biden is leading!

Legacy? These people are TRUE BELIEVERS. They genuinely believe they are fighting a hostile enemy. They see themselves as true patriots. Put yourself in their shoes for a second and use their logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Have any Republican politicians, including Pence, come out in any way supportive of Trumps allegations about voter fraud last night.
    I'm not expecting them to condemn him but surely silence is damning enough.

edit
    Sorry just saw post above re Tweets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Penn

People seem to be suggesting that her and other right wing appointees would destroy their reputation and up end democracy by nullifying a lawful election in order to keep Trump in the White House.

The easiest out for them would be to simply not take on the case if the evidence/case isn't strong enough.

Legacy? These people are TRUE BELIEVERS. They genuinely believe they are fighting a hostile enemy. They see themselves as true patriots. Put yourself in their shoes for a second and use their logic.

Even Kavanaugh and Gorsuch have shown they will apply the law and have gone against Trump in a number of cases recently.

Again, you're assuming they would see the decision as destroying their legacy and ending democracy- they would not see it that way, they buy into the Trump worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Georgia is the insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,172 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

joe40 wrote: »
    Have any Republican politicians, including Pence, come out in any way supportive of Trumps allegations about voter fraud last night.
    I'm not expecting them to condemn him but surely silence is damning enough.

Lindsay Graham is the only one im aware of whos been openly spewing the same stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭KilOit

Don't know how all this won't lead to bloodshed reading comments here https://thedonald.win/
    Trump campaign and fox need to stop inciting violence, people are reading it as a call to arms

Biden just went 1/40 on PP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Biden now leads Georgia by 900

• Registered Users Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Biden leads in Georgia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Per CNN - Georgia just flipped to Biden

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement