Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, And the winner is.......... (pt 4) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Doff wrote: »
    Not suspicious at all
    IS3J2mD.jpg

you're right, it's not suspicious. everyone knew the late mail in votes would lean heavily biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Not suspicious at all
    IS3J2mD.jpg

A glitch that was updated pretty fast

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Aside from the taste of victory, surely this is still a sh*t show for the Democrats? They look likely to squeak through 270-268 against the most disliked candidate in history (even more than Hilary), and will be fairly powerless due to failing to take the Senate. Plus in 4 years they'll be fighting for reelection for either 81 year old Joe Biden, or the very unpopular Kamela Harris.

Any half decent Republican candidate would be a strong favourite.

There's not a whole lot of glory to be had here, even with a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,885 ✭✭✭✭Penn

NYT have Biden now 12k up in MI

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There must be an absolute rake of closet Trump supporters, people too afraid to admit it, like in pre-election polls or just decline to answer/talk about it.

I think the polsters don't do enough polling outside urban areas due to the cost and inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

namloc1980 wrote:
    Biden just took the lead in Michigan!!
    Needs to get his lead over 1% in Wisconsin to prevent calls for a recount.
    That'd mean he wins Michigan(16), Wisconsin(10) and Nevada(6).
    He's been called in some states already which leaves him on 238 and those three put him on 270.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There must be an absolute rake of closet Trump supporters, people too afraid to admit it, like in pre-election polls or just decline to answer/talk about it.

Looks like the undecided went entirely to Trump, or you could call them closet Trump supporters.

I said it the other day, the state polls were very similar to 4 years ago (although it turned even more this time). The general opinion a few days ago was that Trump supporters were suspicious of pollsters, especially door to door pollsters. And with the threat of widescale Rioting if Trump won, they didn't want to be known as Trump supporters in case the mob rolled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Not suspicious at all
    IS3J2mD.jpg

Not really, separate all the votes into candidate piles and then upload the results as the piles are counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It would be positive all round if Biden took Pennsylvania and Georgia as well so that it would be a clear win. It would help to avoid damaging nonsense from Trump over the next few weeks/months.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Aside from the taste of victory, surely this is still a **** show for the Democrats? They look likely to squeak through 270-268 against the most disliked candidate in history (even more than Hilary), and will be fairly powerless due to failing to take the Senate.

There's not a whole lot of glory to be had here.

Trump is hated by his opponents, but equally is loved by his followers. They have made being a Trump supporter a significant part of their character and identity.

It is dangerous for any democracy for this kind of worship to exist, hopefully some of the spell will be broken but I doubt it.

It seems to me many still underestimate him and his (unusual) appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 220 ✭✭holdyerhorses

Of course. Look at 2016, and Brexit. Polls miles from reality because people can't admit their support in public for this kind of politics, but happy to do so in a booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

they are now talking about alaska so i think they're prob grasping at straws

Probably looking for a new job for him on Deadliest Catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Aside from the taste of victory, surely this is still a sh*t show for the Democrats? They look likely to squeak through 270-268 against the most disliked candidate in history (even more than Hilary), and will be fairly powerless due to failing to take the Senate. Plus in 4 years they'll be fighting for reelection for either 81 year old Joe Biden, or the very unpopular Kamela Harris.

If they get the senate as well, then glory be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Removing an incumbent is always a big deal and hard to do, popular vote is up again, GOP states are now going purple, the long term trends are good.

Today needs to be settled first and it could go either way, and have a very tight senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

atr2002 wrote: »
    The Republican SC must have given Trump the cold shoulder when he asked them to stop the counting

He said he wants the "voting to stop....as we dont want new votes coming in at 4 o'clock in the morning and add them to the list" not the counting, very important difference there.

I would say they look likely to hit nearly 300 electoral colleges. So that's a pretty clear win. The fact so many were willing to vote for Trump is definitely worrying but more a terrifying sign Trumpism isn't going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think the polsters don't do enough polling outside urban areas due to the cost and inconvenience.

Someone on RTE, I think said the death of the landline has helped skew polling by phone.

(I think boards is about to collapse)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looks like that Detroit vote is coming through for Biden. 30k extra votes in the last few minutes. That's it all over I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It would be positive all round if Biden took Pennsylvania and Georgia as well so that it would be a clear win. It would help to avoid damaging nonsense from Trump over the next few weeks/months.

i'm cheering for trump but i tend to agree with you.

and i'b be interested to see how biden would do as well; how the media will deal with him, will he be good/bad, how the handles the far left in his party and all that other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Does anyone know what exact time Michigan swung at ?

I'd like to remember it forever !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Probably looking for a new job for him on Deadliest Catch.

They coukd do with a weight for a lobster pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Oh dear lord

-Concerned Trump Supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fingers crossed for Biden

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He said he wants the "voting to stop....as we dont want new votes coming in at 4 o'clock in the morning and add them to the list" not the counting, very important difference there.

The voting has stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Trump is hated by his opponents, but equally is loved by his followers. They have made being a Trump supporter a significant part of their character and identity.

It is dangerous for any democracy for this kind of worship to exist, hopefully some of the spell will be broken but I doubt it.

It seems to me many still underestimate him and his (unusual) appeal.

Fully agree - even if Trump leaves office Trumpism will still be alive and well. Fully expect one of his children to make a run in 2024. I also think that the jubilation of victory could cause the Dems to overlook just how narrowly they scraped this and make them complacent. Back to brunch, blissfully unaware that the fight is very much still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Biden 19k ahead in WI and 21k ahead in MI. Trump won those by 27k and 11k in 2016 so he can't complain about the margin of victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Looks like that Detroit vote is coming through for Biden. 30k extra votes in the last few minutes. That's it all over I think.

How long does this sort of news take to filter through to the odds? Still not quite looking a done deal there, Biden round 2/7...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 220 ✭✭holdyerhorses

I would say they look likely to hit nearly 300 electoral colleges. So that's a pretty clear win. The fact so many were willing to vote for Trump is definitely worrying but more a terrifying sign Trumpism isn't going away.

He'll be on the talk-show circuit straight after his lose, crying foul for 4 years too, and how unfair it is, Twitter will probably feel more safe to ban him off the platform post-loss too, which will be a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

They just need trump out of office. He not a good president, politician, businessman - hell he isn't even a decent human being. He is a conman full of hot air who makes everything about him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement