Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collecting puppy outside 5km

• 04-11-2020 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi I'm due to collect puppy in Dublin this weekend I'm from northern Ireland will garda allow this should I meet a check point and asked what I'm doing? Would it be advisable to meet the dog breeder half way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

tel2355 wrote: »
    hi I'm due to collect puppy in Dublin this weekend I'm from northern Ireland will garda allow this should I meet a check point and asked what I'm doing? Would it be advisable to meet the dog breeder half way?
    if you tell the Garda that you have paid online then technically the dog is officially your animal in which case it would be essential that you gain access to care for it.

best to see the place there kept in and be sure your not getting the quiet one of the lot.

also the Garda can only advise you to turn around, it is unconstitutional for them to prevent you from roaming in a free country; they can ask you to exit the vehicle but you can legally refuse as it is your private property and the cant cease the vehicle or tow it while there is someone inside there private property whom in that case of driving on a road with relevant tax, insurance etc. is not breaking any law,

there is also exemption to restriction for attending funeral, caring for sick or visiting a grave,

essential work such as builders, plasterers etc. bring a measuring tape with you tell them your providing a quote to the customer for some renovations.

all said; i haven't met one Garda since the beginning of lockdown, and I'm on the road six days per week traveling to and from the workplace; manufacturing active pharmaceutical ingredient's for a number of vaccines aswell as other medicines.
    the Garda don't want to be meeting people neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

You are allowed to travel outside the 5km for the purposes of farming or care of animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Testacalda wrote: »
    You are allowed to travel outside the 5km for the purposes of farming or care of animals.

Neither of which would cover buying a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Sounds like a great breeder!

No reputable breeders are breeding at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Neither of which would cover buying a dog.

never said it did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cocker5 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great breeder!

No reputable breeders are breeding at the mo

Some reputable breeders have bred between lockdowns and are only homing via breed clubs to experienced/trusted owners - all going well my pup will be born at the end of the month and will be ready mid/end of Jan :D. (I have a contingency plan if there’s a lockdown as I have a friend travelling up and down for work)

OP during the last lockdown people collecting pups were turned back per Garda Twitter/fb so it’s a possibility. I’d assume your breeder would allow for that happening.

Edited to add - If you're taking the dog into NI do you not technically need a passport and rabies shot?
    https://www.ireland.com/en-gb/about-ireland/must-know-information/bringing-your-pet-to-ireland
    Pets travelling from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland should be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and accompanied by a pet passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

tk123 wrote: »
    Some reputable breeders have bred between lockdowns and are only homing via breed clubs to experienced/trusted owners - all going well my pup will be born at the end of the month and will be ready mid/end of Jan :D. (I have a contingency plan if there’s a lockdown as I have a friend travelling up and down for work)

OP during the last lockdown people collecting pups were turned back per Garda Twitter/fb so it’s a possibility. I’d assume your breeder would allow for that happening.

Edited to add - If you're taking the dog into NI do you not technically need a passport and rabies shot?
    https://www.ireland.com/en-gb/about-ireland/must-know-information/bringing-your-pet-to-ireland
    Pets travelling from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland should be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and accompanied by a pet passport.

And I'm pretty sure the pup needs to be 12 wks old to get a rabies shot, and you need to wait 21 days after that before crossing with a passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

What part of the north are you traveling from?
    And are you familiar with the border road's?

If persistent; I would recommend entering the south via castleblayney count Monaghan or crossmaglen armagh; then turn off for cullaville,
    Take a right for iniskeen shortly outside of cullaville on the Dundalk road,
    Follow that road through to iniskeen then take a left at the end of it,
    Go through iniskeen to Louth village then turn right left in Louth head for ardee then continue on the N2 through ardee, Collin slabs, Ashbourne through to finglas, then your in Dublin, try stay off the M50 travel through the city,

A sat nav will take you through those town names,
    There's alot less chance of meeting any law on those roads as there not mainstream traffic, bigger fish to catch on the motorway easy pickings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I am extremely uncomfortable with people using this forum to avoid the law or indeed to so blatantly flout the COVID restrictions or indeed to contribute to the insane panic buying of puppies. Therefore I am closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement