Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA Election - Who would you vote for? POLL

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

_Brian wrote: »
    As expected Pence went back to being the lap dog to the tangerine baby monster.

Impeachment will hopefully bring justice.

It is hard to balance the potential damage and division done by holding trump to account against the need to demonstrate that nobody is beyond the law.

I think impeach the ass off him, then anyone that comes out violently in his support, bring the weight of the law down on them too.

I see Donald Jnr is under investigation now too - great, the more the merrier. Haven’t they been executing plenty recently - more space for the trump family.

At least Donald Jnr hasn’t had video evidence of smoking craic and getting foot jobs of a lady friend splashed all over the internet, unlike a certain incoming presidents son to be fair, Kushner trumps son in law is where the real scandal is but the democrats don’t want to go pissing on Saudi Arabia’s feet so it’s a non-story that in context is the biggest scandal of the trump presidency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

jaymla627 wrote: »
    At least Donald Jnr hasn’t had video evidence of smoking craic and getting foot jobs of a lady friend splashed all over the internet, unlike a certain incoming presidents son to be fair, Kushner trumps son in law is where the real scandal is but the democrats don’t want to go pissing on Saudi Arabia’s feet so it’s a non-story that in context is the biggest scandal of the trump presidency

What’s Kushner done?

What’s Kushner done?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/02/qatar-666-5th-ave-jared-kushner , the backdrop to this is he has held up his side of the bargain by getting Saudi Arabia to lift the blockades the past few days, listening to Bryan Fogels podcast with Joe Rogan on the Jamal Khashoggi murder and its backstory would make your skin crawl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

One interesting things I have came across was looking back at the Clinton impeachment. Clinton was impeached for lying under oath in what was a potential sexual harassment civil case.

The numbers in Congress were similar but with a GOP slight majority. 31 Democrats broke ranks to impeach Clinton in what was mostly an entrapment case by a friend if Lewinsky.

In the job I was in at the time I remember a lad passed a comment. Democrats f@@k there Secretaries, Republican f@@k there country. But he said as well that few Republicans would break ranks over an action that was carried out by a Republican

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone watching the inauguration??

It’s been on in the background here all day. I’ve seen bits as I’m in and out.

Very different spectacle compared to the crowds seen at the Obama inauguration.

It will be interesting to see how America moves on now. I hope Biden firstly can last the four years and secondly can deliver their promises.

I don’t give in to the whole America leads the free world rubbish, but no doubt the west needs an engaged American government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Watched about 40 minutes of it, very different tone to political gatherings this last few years.
    Interesting to see the massed flags, and in particular the use of multiple US flags hung vertically as a backdrop.
    This practice really came to the fore during Trumps time, and it still reminds me of images of Swastika flags used likewise at Nazi rallies in the 1930's.
    Not saying the practice was a conscious aping of the Nuremberg rallies, but that's what resonated with me.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Watched about 40 minutes of it, very different tone to political gatherings this last few years.
    Interesting to see the massed flags, and in particular the use of multiple US flags hung vertically as a backdrop.
    This practice really came to the fore during Trumps time, and it still reminds me of images of Swastika flags used likewise at Nazi rallies in the 1930's.
    Not saying the practice was a conscious aping of the Nuremberg rallies, but that's what resonated with me.

Reversing Trump's ban on the teaching of critical race theroy to federal employees is the biggest stand out for us, he's really pandering to the woke left with that one, its going to be really compelling viewing seeing what unfolds for however long himself and Kamala stay in the White House

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reversing Trump's ban on the teaching of critical race theroy to federal employees is the biggest stand out for us, he's really pandering to the woke left with that one, its going to be really compelling viewing seeing what unfolds for however long himself and Kamala stay in the White House
    I'm not really into politics let alone US politics other than watching the Presidential elections so excuse my ignorance but what is critical race theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    I'm not really into politics let alone US politics other than watching the Presidential elections so excuse my ignorance but what is critical race theory?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

In a nutshell it teaches that white supremacy is real and that I suppose being a young white Male is the worst of all.

Also states that all law enforcement and legal systems are inherently racist.

Reggie. wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

In a nutshell it teaches that white supremacy is real and that I suppose being a young white Male is the worst of all.

It doesn’t teach that being white is wrong, it teaches that being white isn’t a superior position to have.

It’s incredible that they need to teach that white supremacy exists, it’s like having to bring adults back to junior infants to teach them that cows exist.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t teach that being white is wrong, it teaches that being white isn’t a superior position to have.

It’s incredible that they need to teach that white supremacy exists, it’s like having to bring adults back to junior infants to teach them that cows exist.

A perfect example of white privilege that exists in the minds of far too many Americans. Resists arrest and when the police are forced to subdue him he says “your treating me like a black person”, as of the police should and do treat white and black suspects differently. Indeed the storming of the capitol building proved this, if the BLM tried a similar move they would have been mowed down by heavy arms fire at the base of the steps, but the white people were allowed run amok, because they were white and supporting a president who supported white supremacy.

https://youtu.be/xWAArsEgp6M

Ireland has a lot to learn on race and identity too, were far from a modern society in that regards.

A perfect example of white privilege that exists in the minds of far too many Americans. Resists arrest and when the police are forced to subdue him he says “your treating me like a black person”, as of the police should and do treat white and black suspects differently. Indeed the storming of the capitol building proved this, if the BLM tried a similar move they would have been mowed down by heavy arms fire at the base of the steps, but the white people were allowed run amok, because they were white and supporting a president who supported white supremacy.

https://youtu.be/xWAArsEgp6M

Ireland has a lot to learn on race and identity too, were far from a modern society in that regards.

If a afghani had done this in America what would of been the the end game I wonder https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-jailed-for-nine-months-over-sexual-assault-on-luas-1066961.html... look at Sweden and the state the place is in for been a liberal and “non-racist” society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

White Priviledge - Jordan Peterston

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

White privilege doesnt exist in my mind. It's just a cop out for certain people to excuse away thier lack of motivation. If people have the right attitude and work ethic they will get on fine in irish or American society no matter what thier race or colour. That's my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

It will be interesting to see how America moves on now. I hope Biden firstly can last the four years and secondly can deliver their promises.
    Biden going the distance and getting to one term is a massive concern. I don't buy in to the "sleepy Joe" nonsense, he is/has been a stalwart statesman, but the energy levels required for that Presidency role are extraordinary. Especially having to deal with the current mess left for him. The nutjob wing of the (mainly republican) electorate can easily be whipped in to a furore at this being a backdoor way of installing the first female + African American President.

Your well under the spell of the mainstream media by the looks of it,
    Suckler wrote: »
    Explain that one to me.
    Again. Explain this to me.
    Third time asking; care to explain?
    Fourth time.

Fifth time.

Reversing Trump's ban on the teaching of critical race theroy to federal employees is the biggest stand out for us
    Who is "us"?? An how is that 'the biggest stand out' when only a few weeks Capitol building was overrun and people killed? Bizarre train of thought but one that is completely telling.
    he's really pandering to the woke left with that one,
    There we are again - "the woke left" you don't understand the words you're even writing or who the "left" is that you're completely terrified of.

When Trump cancelled this (only in September '20 i.e. election looming) did you pipe up and say "here's Trump pandering to the extremist right"? No. Even thought it was patently obvious this was an effort to ensure his core right wingers knew that Trump was still their guy.

If "In a nutshell" means I'm taking a Trumpers guess at it then you're right...
    It contains nothing about being "young white Male is the worst of all"

This -

It seems ridiculous but it's stemmed from the 70's/80's, despite having equality on paper, Black/Mexican/Asian were still second class citizens. For a nation that had the experience of The Troubles for so long, it's not really that surprising; It was the same in the North (even after the GFA) and in the years of "No Blacks/No Irish" in England.

If a name like "Murphy/O'Neill" came up on a job profile/housing list/potential criminal act etc. There was a measured difference in the response to put it mildly.

If a afghani had done this in America what would of been the the end game I wonder https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-jailed-for-nine-months-over-sexual-assault-on-luas-1066961.html...
    How is this relevant to the US President?
    FYI - 'a' Afghani is the the currency;)
    look at Sweden and the state the place is in for been a liberal and “non-racist” society

So "non-racist" is bad....therefore "racist" would be....

As for the "State of the Place" what do you mean by that? Even a cursory glance at the socio economic statistics show Sweden is a great place to live and work. Well known international engineering exports, well educated population, safe environment, highly developed quality of environment. The State of the place..:rolleyes:

White privilege doesnt exist in my mind.
    It's convenient that your restricting the argument to your own mind. Unfortunately there are/were parts of this island and America that were unfairly divided and the division was at the whim of the decision makers. In America, this was generally 'White'. In one part of our fair isle - Protestant (Edit - That could be worded better; Religious belief wasn't the crux of the issue, just a simple way to keep ethnic Irish in NI in their place or convince them to p1ss off somewhere else)
    If people have the right attitude and work ethic they will get on fine in irish or American society no matter what thier race or colour.

Unfortunately that's a nice idea of the American dream "work hard and you'll get your rewards". The fact that they had to bring in legislative education to counter indentured racism in some parts proves you wrong. Without seeing your face\speaking to you\ looking at your credentials and experience; your name alone on an application form could lead to it being automatically binned or the level you will attain (despite the right attitude and work ethic) being decided for you well in advance.

White privilege doesnt exist in my mind. It's just a cop out for certain people to excuse away thier lack of motivation. If people have the right attitude and work ethic they will get on fine in irish or American society no matter what thier race or colour. That's my opinion

Mmmmm
    Speaking from the perspective of a family of mixed race you would be shocked where it surfaces in Ireland so I’ve no doubt it’s a much bigger problem in the US where racism is so much more engrained.

If you want to see example of open racism and white privilege in Ireland just look at the Twitter account of some non white Irish people online. Hazel Chu or Una-Minh Kavanagh. Being just two prime examples who get extra abuse because they are Not only not white but also women.

Mmmmm
    Speaking from the perspective of a family of mixed race you would be shocked where it surfaces in Ireland so I’ve no doubt it’s a much bigger problem in the US where racism is so much more entrained.

Sad to hear. I can only go off my own experiences and the way I treat others. I measure people on thier morals and work ethic.

Biden going the distance and getting to one term is a massive concern. I don't buy in to the "sleepy Joe" nonsense, he is/has been a stalwart statesman, but the energy levels required for that Presidency role are extraordinary. Especially having to deal with the current mess left for him. The nutjob wing of the (mainly republican) electorate can easily be whipped in to a furore at this being a backdoor way of installing the first female + African American President.

Fifth time.

Who is "us"?? An how is that 'the biggest stand out' when only a few weeks Capitol building was overrun and people killed? Bizarre train of thought but one that is completely telling.

There we are again - "the woke left" you don't understand the words you're even writing or who the "left" is that you're completely terrified of.

When Trump cancelled this (only in September '20 i.e. election looming) did you pipe up and say "here's Trump pandering to the extremist right"? No. Even thought it was patently obvious this was an effort to ensure his core right wingers knew that Trump was still their guy.

If "In a nutshell" means I'm taking a Trumpers guess at it then you're right...
    It contains nothing about being "young white Male is the worst of all"

This -

It seems ridiculous but it's stemmed from the 70's/80's, despite having equality on paper, Black/Mexican/Asian were still second class citizens. For a nation that had the experience of The Troubles for so long, it's not really that surprising; It was the same in the North (even after the GFA) and in the years of "No Blacks/No Irish" in England.

If a name like "Murphy/O'Neill" came up on a job profile/housing list/potential criminal act etc. There was a measured difference in the response to put it mildly.

How is this relevant to the US President?
    FYI - 'a' Afghani is the the currency;)

So "non-racist" is bad....therefore "racist" would be....

As for the "State of the Place" what do you mean by that? Even a cursory glance at the socio economic statistics show Sweden is a great place to live and work. Well known international engineering exports, well educated population, safe environment, highly developed quality of environment. The State of the place..:rolleyes:

https://globalriskinsights.com/2021/01/swedens-identity-crisis-and-the-rise-of-the-far-right/

• Advertisement

Doesn't answer anything I raised.

Re Sweden and your comment that it’s a great place to live and work you consider a 8% unemployment rate in 2019 as a good metric to support the above claim, did you even bother reading the article

did you even bother reading the article
    No. Why would I? You didn't post it with as relevant to anything I said. I'm not a mind reader. Why should I read it and try to figure out which point you were addressing and how it addressed it.
    Re Sweden and your comment that it’s a great place to live and work you consider a 8% unemployment rate in 2019 as a good metric to support the above claim

Swedish unemployment rate is approx 6.5%. https://www.statista.com/statistics/375284/unemployment-rate-in-sweden/

Given that we are at (high level guess) 5-6% ourselves how is that relevant and how does it demonstrate "The State of the place"?

It's clear you've no clue (again) about the topic. I mentioned it's a great place to live on a number of points but you thought 8% unemployment (which is debatable) some how justifies your remark.
    Your well under the spell of the mainstream media by the looks of it,

Any chance of the explanation - sixth time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If a afghani had done this in America what would of been the the end game I wonder https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-jailed-for-nine-months-over-sexual-assault-on-luas-1066961.html... look at Sweden and the state the place is in for been a liberal and “non-racist” society

The man is a scumbag but he is a scumbag because of his actions not because of his origins.

There is no shortage of Irish men doing equally dispicable things too. That doesn’t mean the Irish are intrinsically perverted

No. Why would I? You didn't post it with as relevant to anything I said. I'm not a mind reader. Why should I read it and try to figure out which point you were addressing and how it addressed it.

Swedish unemployment rate is approx 6.5%. https://www.statista.com/statistics/375284/unemployment-rate-in-sweden/

Given that we are at (high level guess 5-6% ourselves how is that relevant and how does it demonstrate "The State of the place"?

It's clear you've no clue (again) about the topic. I mentioned it's a great place to live on a number of points but you thought 8% unemployment (which is debatable) some how justifies your remark.

Any chance of the explanation - sixth time...

Any reply I give will be to simple minded on my part to probably justify a reply, as a matter of would you agree on Jordan Peterson’s video on white supremacy posted above

The man is a scumbag but he is a scumbag because of his actions not because of his origins.

There is no shortage of Irish men doing equally dispicable things too. That doesn’t mean the Irish are intrinsically perverted

my issue was how short a sentence he got, playing the poor immigrant card as a defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

my issue was how short a sentence he got, playing the poor immigrant card as a defence

Light yes but not light compared to Irish offenders

https://www.galwaydaily.com/courts/62-year-old-delivery-driver-sentenced-for-sexual-assault/?amp

Hopefully Biden gets health for the four years. He speaks like a unifying force, a proper statesman. Hopefully he follows that up with real actions and he can get them to stick.
    I was impressed he jumped back into the Paris accord and stopped the pipeline through the protected areas so quickly. America can only succeeded being part of the wider community not alienating itself from it.

One wonders though if the presidency bounces over and back every four years will we just see a ping pong behaviour of passing acts and then immediately undoing them. That would be unhealthy, regressive and consume time and resources better spent actually doing something useful.

America has turned a corner getting rid of trump, but they are by no means a United States.

https://www.lifenews.com/2021/02/28/president-donald-trump-wins-cpac-2024-presidential-straw-poll/

"...the most popular figure we have ever had..."

:pac:

I knew it!

Advertisement