Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What battery does this take?

Options
  • 04-11-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I was not able to identify the battery for this Halloween decoration, and we have another that takes same MN11 was too small.

Does anyone recognise the battery it takes?

kFu9To.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Id say its lots of watch batteries.
    Look really carefully behind the springs - you will see the direction to put the stack of batteries and how many.

Dealz sell a pack of them cheap.

What would be better would be to add some wires and connect up the equivalent AAA batteries - will last much longer.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Might take 3 cell batteries like LR44. It should say so on the battery cover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Could be a cr2.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

ted1 wrote: »
    Might take 3 cell batteries like LR44. It should say so on the battery cover
    Unfortunately, it says nothing on the cover except CE....

Could be a cr2.
    I got excited thinking this was it!
    Looking at https://www.batteryjunction.com/batteries-size-cr2.html they are 27mm x 15.6mm and the battery space in these yokes measures about 17mmx 11mm :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

I'd be fairly sure it's 2 or 3 of an lr44 type of battery. Deals is your best bet, they have packs with a collection of a few different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

boardtc wrote: »
    I got excited thinking this was it!
    Looking at https://www.batteryjunction.com/batteries-size-cr2.html they are 27mm x 15.6mm and the battery space in these yokes measures about 17mmx 11mm :mad:

I still suspect it’s 3 lr44 batteries

11.6mm in diameter and 5.4mm thick. = 16.2mm x 11.6

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

... the battery space in these yokes measures about 17mmx 11mm :mad:

The size of the MN11 battery in your picture is quoted as 16mm x 10mm so I'm surprised it doesn't fit??

ted1 wrote: »
    I still suspect it’s 3 lr44 batteries

11.6mm in diameter and 5.4mm thick. = 16.2mm x 11.6

A lot of these smaller batteries are made from several button cells shrink-wrapped together anyway.

I'd be fairly sure it's 2 or 3 of an lr44 type of battery. Deals is your best bet, they have packs with a collection of a few different types.

Thanks for the kick again, I got my finger out, had some of those (equivalent AG13) on a sheet. I stuck them into both of the yokes but no power :mad: They seem an ideal fit. I was trying to avoid throwing out more plastic crap but what can you do!

WqKupe.jpg

• Advertisement

There are button cells that are the same diameter but thinner. Maybe it needs 6V to operate so you'd need 4 x 1.5V cells, something like an LR43 which is 4.2mm thick so 4 would be 16.8mm.

Thanks for the kick again, I got my finger out, had some of those (equivalent AG13) on a sheet. I stuck them into both of the yokes but no power :mad: They seem an ideal fit. I was trying to avoid throwing out more plastic crap but what can you do!

WqKupe.jpg

Correct batteries - but think they might be upside down - the larger silver end is +ve
    Flip them other way round and try again...

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Correct batteries - but think they might be upside down - the larger silver end is +ve

If that was a normal cylindrical battery though, they'd be the right way round. The end with the spring would be -ve.

Worth considering doing this though.... you can get the battery pack (with attached Christmas tree lights) for 1.50 in dealz - 1 set of batteries will last Months. link

Ideally of course solder is best - but even duct tape or wrapping the bared ends of the wires to the contacts would work. 3 LR44 batteries would be 4.5 volts - but a holder of 2 AA's giving 3V should work just fine, maybe a little dimmer.

“Roll it back”

Alun wrote: »
    If that was a normal cylindrical battery though, they'd be the right way round. The end with the spring would be -ve.

Yes, with button cells it always seems to be made so there is minimal chance of shorting the + and - of the battery.

Here, if you look at the photo, the spring runs the risk of touching the outer (+) and the small (-) of the battery.... so it makes sense to design so the spring is for the larger (+) terminal where it cannot touch both sides of the battery - shorting it out.

“Roll it back”

I did try the other way at the time, no result:mad:

Alun wrote: »
    The size of the MN11 battery in your picture is quoted as 16mm x 10mm so I'm surprised it doesn't fit??

I had another go and they do fit but neither set work, which before I thought was too coincidental but at this point they are both just broken and time to put more plastic in the bin and kill off this exercise!!

2PHY3p.jpg

To close of the post, this turned out to be correct and Primark finally confirmed the batteries too. I cleaned the contacts, for both yokes, one of the batteries needs to be protruding or something for the lights to work, nt sure why. Put away in the Haloween box now anyway. Thanks!

Advertisement