Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

W124 Mercedes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

w124man wrote: »
    Generally, people who say that don't know how to drive especially when you see that more manual W124's than automatics were built! These cars are not sports cars, they are cruisers, reliable cruisers.
    Hmmmm. Driving 35 years, mostly manuals but autos as well, drive to ADI standard, have driven a lot of different vehicles from motorbikes to coaches so I reckon I know how to drive.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Thanks but Merc weren’t known for slick manuals back then, and I’m guessing it’s not a 300

And it's a diesel :p

No surprise w124man wants to get rid. The diesels seem to still make half decent money in Ireland. Not surprised about that either. A diesel would save the classic car owner at least €100 per year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »
    And it's a diesel :p

No surprise w124man wants to get rid.

No I dont want to 'get rid' as you say. Its quite rare to see the 'workhorse' of the whole W124 range in condition like this one. Anyway if there was anything I wanted to 'get rid' of its the nasty, thirsty nonsensical Toyota hybrid thing I have at the moment while my Passat get fixed, having being hit by an equally nasty Nissan Leaf!

There are very few like this one left! Flawless MOT history until I brought it here and it continues with a flawless NCT

2019 MB Club Concours
    k5nQRev.jpg

6M2mxOa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Nice car . Had a w124 estate petrol and a diesel version would really have transformed it into a serious daily driver work horse. Whilst an auto would be preferred, the added gear would be hugely beneficial on motorways.

Now , give me a 5 speed auto estate diesel with leather ! Heaven.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Nice car . Had a w124 estate petrol and a diesel version would really have transformed it into a serious daily driver work horse. Whilst an auto would be preferred, the added gear would be hugely beneficial on motorways.

Now , give me a 5 speed auto estate diesel with leather ! Heaven.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

Looks lovely. One of the best cars of the golden era of Mercedes-Benz. Pity about the engine.

Looks lovely. One of the best cars of the golden era of Mercedes-Benz. Pity about the engine.

You have made your point already.

Can you just let others enjoy the thread.

Sure. Enjoying your 80's diesel yourself? :p Just make sure you run it nowhere near people.

Sure. Enjoying your 80's diesel yourself? :p Just make sure you run it nowhere near people.
    They’re a touchy bunch!

Pity about the engine.

With only 75,000 miles on the clock, it still has at least 925,000 miles to go before it will need changing. It does have the 1,000,000 mile engine!!

I wonder how many batteries you would go through to do that?

• Advertisement

With only 75,000 miles on the clock, it still has at least 925,000 miles to go before it will need changing. It does have the 1,000,000 mile engine!!

I wonder how many batteries you would go through to do that?
    A lot of pre 2005/6/7 (I dunno, pick your year) engines will do a million with regular maintenance and normal usage.
    Modern engines are highly stressed and disposable and yet they keep pushing the LIE that modern cars are more environmentally friendly.
    People sheeple

A lot of pre 2005/6/7 (I dunno, pick your year) engines will do a million with regular maintenance and normal usage.
    Modern engines are highly stressed and disposable and yet they keep pushing the LIE that modern cars are more environmentally friendly.
    People sheeple

Well the OM602 wouldn't be stressed. Its a lazy old 5 cylinder lump and sounds lovely. I took it down to Spain two years ago and covered almost 3000 miles at an average of 55 mpg just pooteling about. A lot cleaner that a lot of modern cars

Well the OM602 wouldn't be stressed. Its a lazy old 5 cylinder lump and sounds lovely. I took it down to Spain two years ago and covered almost 3000 miles at an average of 55 mpg just pooteling about. A lot cleaner that a lot of modern cars
    I won’t disagree with you. I like the sound of a five pot.
    Shame there aren’t more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Been great reading through this thread. Have just aquired this tank... Slowly doing a resto on it

Anyone know the car??

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Been great reading through this thread. Have just aquired this tank... Slowly doing a resto on it

Anyone know the car??
    I don’t but I’m not long in the W124 ownership club. They definitely grow on you.

I don’t but I’m not long in the W124 ownership club. They definitely grow on you.

Lol I hope so, my wife wasn't too pleased when she saw the shed I'd just got!

Lol I hope so, my wife wasn't too pleased when she saw the shed I'd just got!

A few more photos of the interior would be nice.
    My wife doesn’t like driving it but likes being driven in it.

Been great reading through this thread. Have just aquired this tank...

Well wear! Just watched the latest vid from Jonny Smith's show and guess what cars were on his driveway? Yep. Two W124 stationwagons. You're in good company :D

Well wear! Just watched the latest vid from Jonny Smith's show and guess what cars were on his driveway? Yep. Two W124 stationwagons :D

Car pervert? He truely is a petrol head who is embracing EVs as well. Maybe that’s the perfect answer.

Yep. Not as evangelical about EV only and hammering the point down like FullyChargedShow. I've heard that was the reason why they split and he went his separate way. His channel is picking up very quickly. Not surprisingly. Really nice guy and a true petrol (and electric) head.

Here's his channel

Linky

And here is his vid about the Nissan Figaro where you can see the W124 wagons on his drive:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anyone know the car??

congrats - is that a 7 seater with grey check interior ?

We need more pics pls ! :)

RobAMerc wrote: »
    congrats - is that a 7 seater with grey check interior ?

We need more pics pls ! :)

Thanks robamerc,

I will post some pics shortly. It's a 7 seater with a navy interior.

We are a bit deep into bodywork at the moment...

Lads, I might post this in the main forum... But would anyone here have any recommendations for a spray painter? Very hard to find someone decent around to take the job on and is affordable.

Was thinking of getting it done up north, thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

2019 MB Club Concours
    Would you recommend joining the owners club?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

ba_barabus wrote: »

I wouldn't, and I'm a member since 2012i(ish). Unless you need access to the official parts catalogue, and will make use of the 10% discount on parts, there isn't much added value in joining.

Its a bit Marmite. 10% discount on parts and plenty of events across the UK and Ireland to attend if you want to. Good forum with lots of technical help on popular classic models. I enjoy it, I've been to quite a few events in the UK through the club. Can be a bit stuffy at times but it is a Brit based club with us tagged on

I’m now a W124 owner. Would I sign up the MB club? Nope. Never. Never ever.
    Why? You need to look inwards. As Groucho Marx said (and I live by this), NEVER belong to a club that would have YOU as a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

I was a member for a good few years. Very good club magazine plus you got sent MB's own classic mag a couple of times a year.
    As has been said they put on good events in the UK and have a good presence at pretty much every show.
    Also they did fairly regular spins out or visits to different places inc. MDL's collection.
    Never availed of the parts discount, knew my local parts man so got as good as prices if not better !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I've been a member for 3 years now and would recommend it. It's just 50 quid so give it a try. In any case, you are supposed to be a club member for insurance.

The forum is worth it alone IMO, so many helpful people there. Two examples, some may have seem my post here during the summer where I striped the spark plug thread on my W123, got pointed to a fantastic tool that saved my bacon on that! By a Galway lad! Another time I had a query as to what sub model of gearbox I had, a guy who worked in MB looked it up for me from the VIN.

Not been to any events as I just got the car in Jan so everything has been cancelled.

Got in contact with a member before I bought, he was very helpful in my search and checked the one I got out for me over the Christmas period.

One thing about the EPC access, there seems to be issues with that since MB moved to a new system a year or two back, but there is something in this month's club mag about it so maybe we are in again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

In any case, you are supposed to be a club member for insurance.
    I'm a member of Nenagh Classic Car Club and the Renault Owners Club so that is all in hand.

But I'm happy to read what you've said about the club :)

Advertisement