Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

W124 Mercedes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

The forum is worth it alone IMO, so many helpful people there.

Yes indeed. I remember your post on the spark plug! The technical help is great and you can poke the Brits about Brexit and Boris, sit back and watch them fall over each other! Then there are the two or three members who think EV's are the answer ..... Great craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eagle owl

Hello, owned and ran a W124 1992 230e auto as one of our 2 family cars - for 8 years - loved it , especially as we are living in the city- it has a very good turning circle which is surprising given the length.... anyhow would be interested in opinions- failed NCT in April 2019 for front coil springs. and corrosion all on offside front - got a quote for 600 euro for the corrosion from a professional shop....at the time put into storage and bought a 2005 C180 ..now it is decision time as losing storage- is it worth putting c 1000 euro into this ? what other items to look for - getting it assessed next week on a ramp... jacking points are good - one of the rear sub frame mounts was done in 2016 (ex UK car - car here in 2007) . Not a classic til july 2022 130, 000 miles -....I guessing it is only worth around 1000 at the present? The paintwork is ok - some faults including a door which has a reddish hue - see photo- but I like the colour and dark blue interior, and plastic alloys ! Thanks in advance...paul

attachment.php?attachmentid=534456&stc=1&d=1606574905

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

eagle owl wrote: »
    is it worth putting c 1000 euro into this ?

If you need to ask the question, then it probably isn't ;)
    But seriously though - if you have the money to spend, don't mind never getting it back, like the car and will use it, then why not?

P.S: broken springs every 50k miles is "normal" on the W124 because of the sideways bending workout they get...

eagle owl wrote: »
    Hello, owned and ran a W124 1992 230e auto as one of our 2 family cars - for 8 years - loved it , especially as we are living in the city- it has a very good turning circle which is surprising given the length.... anyhow would be interested in opinions- failed NCT in April 2019 for front coil springs. and corrosion all on offside front - got a quote for 600 euro for the corrosion from a professional shop....at the time put into storage and bought a 2005 C180 ..now it is decision time as losing storage- is it worth putting c 1000 euro into this ? what other items to look for - getting it assessed next week on a ramp... jacking points are good - one of the rear sub frame mounts was done in 2016 (ex UK car - car here in 2007) . Not a classic til july 2022 130, 000 miles -....I guessing it is only worth around 1000 at the present? The paintwork is ok - some faults including a door which has a reddish hue - see photo- but I like the colour and dark blue interior, and plastic alloys ! Thanks in advance...paul

Coil springs break on these cars just like any other. Took me an hour to change two fronts on my E200 and can be bought for €100 a pair.

If you can do all the work yourself then invest in the car. If you cant then sell it on.

Can I have first dibs please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

w124man wrote: »
    Can I have first dibs please?
    In before me! Can I have second dibs!

I've booked my pretty much worthless but otherwise charming 1997 C180 in to have some minor scuffs sorted after Christmas, minor scuffs being both sides and front and rear bumpers resprayed :D

The paint will be worth more than the car it's stuck to! Still love it:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 eagle owl

Thanks for the replies - I'll keep both of your interests in mind. Unfortunately don't have the means or talent for that sort of work (don't even have a garage or a flat driveway...). Whilst up on the garage ramp, I'll photograph the failed corrosion bits..

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Some of you lads were asking me for some shots of the wagon's interior...

Bearing in mind, this has been sat up for possibly ten years, a quick wipe down really had her looking a lot better. A deep interior clean will be on the cards shortly...

Bearing in mind, this has been sat up for possibly ten years, a quick wipe down really had her looking a lot better. A deep interior clean will be on the cards shortly...

Progress...

Rear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Bandito909 wrote: »

Nice car, nice to see another with keep fit windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you'll be shocked how a good clean will bring up the interior of a car, and you tube is chock full of useful tips on it. Magic spong and white vinegar is brilliant

Baby wipes are unreal for getting dirt out of a dashbord ( and your runners ) - hate to think what they are doing to a babies arse !

If only the exterior was as simple...

I've only ever seen one estate with two untouched, unrusted rear side windows

Fair play to you for saving it.

Starting to look a bit better...

Starting to look a bit better...

Very nice. You can do mine when you’re finished :-)

Advertisement