Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union interest rates

• 04-11-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am just trying to get my head around the interest on my loan. I topped up an existing loan on 26/04/2019 which brought it to €18,703.67

80 weeks since getting the loan this week.

My repayments are €90 a week over 5 years and it’s 8.9% interest.

The loan is currently at 11,048.35.

I’ve paid €90 a week. I do pay extra when I can and I have paid €9,503.25 off the loan in a little over a year and a half.

Does the amount of interest so far seem right when over 5 years total interest should be around the €4,500 mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Kaleb2015 wrote: »
    I am just trying to get my head around the interest on my loan. I topped up an existing loan on 26/04/2019 which brought it to €18,703.67

80 weeks since getting the loan this week.

My repayments are €90 a week over 5 years and it’s 8.9% interest.

The loan is currently at 11,048.35.

I’ve paid €90 a week. I do pay extra when I can and I have paid €9,503.25 off the loan in a little over a year and a half.

Does the amount of interest so far seem right when over 5 years total interest should be around the €4,500 mark.

Seem about right.
    You need to get the principle amount down, and with that comes the interest amount. I.e you will pay a lot more interest in Yr.1 than Yr5

8.9% is expensive borrowing. Is that the best rate you can get?

Advertisement