Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OpenEIR Optical cable from ETU to ONT - Can I source my own

• 04-11-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone confirm the type of cable used from the ETU to the ONT?

I assume the following looking at photos:

Mode of fibre type : Singlex Mono-Mode (SM) fi9/125μm G657A2,

Connector A : SC/APC

Connector B : SC/APC

There are a few of us trying to get the newly available openEir 1Gbps FTTH offering in our neighborhood but there is no ducting running from the outside utility box in the porch of the houses into the premises. There are cables running but they are not in their own ducting as such the KN engineer says they'll need to bore a new hole into the house, something I'd like to avoid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yes, you can use your own cable - they prob don't want you to and if there are issues in the future they prob won't help you unless you return the setup back to the original location.
    SC/APC to SC/APC simplex singlemode 9/125 is what you are after - example of a patch lead from Amazon. You can get custom cables made, I've ordered custom fiber cable lengths from FS.com in the past.
    When unplugging/plugging you just need to ensure you don't touch or get the end of the fiber dirty. When you get a new fiber, it will have a dust cap, use it wisely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Thank you, as I need to keep it to 1 meter or less I'm looking at https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/41655.html from the link you provided. Is there a significants to simplexmode? Is that the same as single mode? I found a website that indicates this is a one way cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Manion wrote: »
    Thank you, as I need to keep it to 1 meter or less I'm looking at https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/41655.html from the link you provided. Is there a significants to simplexmode? Is that the same as single mode? I found a website that indicates this is a one way cable?

Simplex just means it will be one fiber strand in the cable instead of two, with the FTTH setup, the one fiber is used for both send/receive just using different wave lengths. The other type would be called duplex and that would be more so for interconnecting local networking devices.
    Singlemode is the wavelength used, the alt. is multimode. Wiki is your friend but for this, focus on singlemode, SC-SC APC which stands for Standard Connector-to-Standard Connector with Angled Physical Contact on each face of the connector. APC is also shown by the green connector :) Yea, wiki is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Thank you. It looks like my plan wont come to fruition as they are installing tomorrow.

Advertisement