Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Masters 40 RR Champ doping ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

What an absolute arsehole. That's not some pressurised youngster or domestique trying to make it or survive in the pro ranks. That's a 47 year old, out and out cheating ****. Pure vanity. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You have to wonder how a person at that age is psychologically made up.

Having a willingness to put that stuff into your body and cause untold harm to yourself for the sake of a cheating your way to a medal at what is essentially a Micky mouse competition takes the personality of a strange strange person.

I can half understand the pros that cheat, There is a huge amount on the line financially, they have dedicated full time professionalism to their sport and feel the need to go outside the rules to be successful.

Just being able to compete at that age on a national level is an achievement in itself, the need to cheat to win is sad. Now the riders name is out there in national press, that’s someone who probably has a job and a family and has to face those people.

I pity the guy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

So he took Anavar and Equipoise... a steroid favoured by women bodybuilders and a steroid originally developed for horses! Mad stuff indeed. You'd wonder about masters events and what some of these guys could potentially be taking to maintain their strength and fitness in the face of declining testosterone levels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not casting aspersions but some of the ICVA league performances are, hmmm, inspirational. There are some people who'd dope to win a local athletics meet or a GAA division 3 league match in Longford. This is hardly the strangest thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm competitive but I want to know it was me who bet you. Doping has to be so mentally empty. At that level it's not a survival thing.

On the same note, not sure I care anymore. As for the Rugby comment. All I'll say is a 120kg, north of 200cm, travelling at a sprint speed that would be competitive at a national, possibly European level in athletics, says all it has too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

velo.2010 wrote: »
    So he took Anavar and Equipoise... a steroid favoured by women bodybuilders and a steroid originally developed for horses! Mad stuff indeed. You'd wonder about masters events and what some of these guys could potentially be taking to maintain their strength and fitness in the face of declining testosterone levels.

I’m a master, strongest racing years of my life age 41 to this year when I turned 43 even with restrictions in place I was competitive. Stronger than when in my Late teens and 20s. There’s plenty of really good riders who train hard and live smart just to be competitive, be they normal weekend races in CI or IVCA races. this is shocking today. I know the lad from racing a few times so in shock. I’m full sure he has cost me a medal that same day, he steamrolled up a 7% hill with a 500 metre sprint closing down a move i was in close to the line. We now know how he was able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

velo.2010 wrote: »
    f declining testosterone levels.

At least he didn't drag in some innocent business into his mess with some Mickey Mouse/ Fred Flintstone scientific test like the last clown caught doping in Wexford

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    I’m a master, strongest racing years of my life age 41 to this year when I turned 43 even with restrictions in place I was competitive. Stronger than when in my Late teens and 20s. There’s plenty of really good riders who train hard and live smart just to be competitive, be they normal weekend races in CI or IVCA races. this is shocking today. I know the lad from racing a few times so in shock. I’m full sure he has cost me a medal that same day, he steamrolled up a 7% hill with a 500 metre sprint closing down a move i was in close to the line. We now know how he was able to do it.

And that's the really gauling thing. I'm in the same boat (fitter now than 20years ago) but a misspent youth mean I was fitter and faster last year then I'd been ever. Thankfully for me, losing races has been due to stupidity or being too weak, but I'd be wretching if I was beaten like this. I can take been beaten because I made an error, or because half the field is better than me but what you describe is theft in my mind.

Won a club league race once, and I gave it everything that day, everything just worked. I broke off on my own, emptied the tank and when I was spent 3 lads went again with me. I gave orders, I got it working and we were like a fuc*ING pro level TTT. I could barely breathe. Last time up Boston Hill, one broke ranks and went for it and my legs were dead, 2nd guy thought we had another lap and asked what the f*ck. We let him know and he tore off. My comrade in arms told me to go for it and I told him I was gone, legs could barely move. He looked at me and said I earned it, go get it.Then it happened the second wind, 600m from the line. As I get out of the saddle and gun it, I think, I'm so glad they insist on an ambulance for the club league. I can't feel my legs anymore. I pass the SDCC rider like it was a dream, I pass my clubmate like we are on a club spin and taking the piss. My body can't feel anything. I come round the final bend and realise it, I'm there, I've won a race, it's happened.

I go to raise my arms for the photo and I barely raise one and the bike barely stays standing. It was no glamorous photo but I earned that win.

This isn't in anyway related, I was just reliving my glory days that only happened 2 years ago :pac: without drugs (bar insulin)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

@CramCycle any excuse to drag that out :rolleyes: :D

People will always cheat, the report issued was funny reading, seems he spiked the supplement he was taking so as to try blame it probably not realising Sport Ireland had bought an untampered version and didnt find some of his tubs ingredients. It will be interesting if he tries to come back, will people give him any respect or might he be shunned into stopping completely. I know i wouldnt work with him if i was in a break in a race with him, which i could be by the time he's back as ill be 40 then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not casting aspersions but some of the ICVA league performances are, hmmm, inspirational.

Ah here - stop stalking my Strava :p

Seriously though - from observation a lot of the top tier IVCA Racers are people who've been racing at the pointy end of Irish competitive cycling for decades and still maintain the training regimes to support that - as Taxuser mentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not casting aspersions but some of the ICVA league performances are, hmmm, inspirational. There are some people who'd dope to win a local athletics meet or a GAA division 3 league match in Longford. This is hardly the strangest thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm competitive but I want to know it was me who bet you. Doping has to be so mentally empty. At that level it's not a survival thing.

On the same note, not sure I care anymore. As for the Rugby comment. All I'll say is a 120kg, north of 200cm, travelling at a sprint speed that would be competitive at a national, possibly European level in athletics, says all it has too.

Probably a ego or self image thing.

It's been my experience people are very critical/indignant/take high moral ground when a cheat is remote from them be that some amateur they don't know or a professional(even then exciting racers are a step up from the less stylish ones).

The bar isn't quite as high when it's closer to home.

My memory from last time is a circling of the wagons in certain quarters but it might be my old age

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

It's been my experience people are very critical/indignant/take high moral ground when a cheat is remote from them be that some amateur they don't know or a professional(even then exciting racers are a step up from the less stylish ones).

My memory from last time is a circling of the wagons in certain quarters but it might be my old age

Yes indeed. We have a guy in Cycling Ireland's Hall of Fame who was caught twice!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think you can get any more close to home than someone you've raced against?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've also had a one place bump as a result of this!!!

It is also the best result i had this year.

I don't think you can get any more close to home than someone you've raced against?

A clubmate/friend or someone who sponsors cycling

I would disagree, having been there on the day. both IADA and CI supported the last rider I know of but only in so far as they would any rider in that they treated him as innocent until proven guilty as anyone should be but there was no circling of the wagons and he got in other less publicised trouble for taking part in events, even social ones without insurance and CI came down hard on him for that as he was on suspension at the time. In fact there case on the day had every corner covered and they had repeatedly given him the out to accept the findings on multiple occasions.

I think the only thing that went was in poor form there was the other side went after everyone involved after the fact even though they were simply doing a test and not taking a side, in fact the lab analyst pointed out flaws in there own test and issues with the chain of custody with the meat provided for testing, and that they them selves were not satisfied with it if they had been asked to do anything other than test the meat provided.

The independent judge of the investigation was the now famous for less admirable reasons Seamus Woulfe who I found a nice person to deal with in the past. In the room on the day of the appeal, both IADA and CI went for him with knives drawn, and anyone who he had hired in the same fashion. He deserved it but i thought trawling through the lab analysts social media profiles and using the fact that he referred to himself as a scientist and a cyclist as some how an implication he was pro doping was disgraceful considering he was very mush a known advocate of anti doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

On more US based forums, there's quite a lot of discussion of people being medically prescribed testosterone, and whether it's doping, impact on performance etc. I've no idea whether medical prescription of it is common here, and whether that is an impact in masters/ vets racing?

However, on this guy, some of the comments around behaviour at the end of the race were interesting.
    All pro sports, and high profile amateur sports have the same questions around them for me. Or rather, I never understand "cycling is dirty I'd never watch that, move over while I watch this rugby/ football/ tennis/ golf".

Macy0161 wrote: »
    All pro sports, and high profile amateur sports have the same questions around them for me. Or rather, I never understand "cycling is dirty I'd never watch that, move over while I watch this rugby/ football/ tennis/ golf".

Indeed but you are looked at with disdain if you point out the clear unbelievably low body fat % of some of our national sports heroes, Tennis and the "holidays" that many of the top players had to take and so on. But as I said before, its not at that level only and it has permeated most levels of most sports, from chess with concentration enhancers, to the lad in A4 down at the Frank O'Rourke who was sucking on an Asthma inhaler like it was a bottle of water in front of the comms (as if he was Team Sky in their hay day) and team cars calling out for POMs across the race radio at stage races up North.

This said, I am of the opinion now that unless I see it in the rider beside me, I am ignoring it because if you go down that rabbit hole, for me at least, you can enjoy nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

This said, I am of the opinion now that unless I see it in the rider beside me, I am ignoring it because if you go down that rabbit hole, for me at least, you can enjoy nothing.

For me it's very simple. If I'm faster it's thanks to my training. If they're faster, they're clearly doping. :D

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    For me it's very simple. If I'm faster it's thanks to my training. If they're faster, they're clearly doping. :D

Some weekends everyone is doping, other weekends I am only suspicious of one or two :P

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Indeed but you are looked at with disdain if you point out the clear unbelievably low body fat % of some of our national sports heroes, Tennis and the "holidays" that many of the top players had to take and so on. But as I said before, its not at that level only and it has permeated most levels of most sports, from chess with concentration enhancers, to the lad in A4 down at the Frank O'Rourke who was sucking on an Asthma inhaler like it was a bottle of water in front of the comms (as if he was Team Sky in their hay day) and team cars calling out for POMs across the race radio at stage races up North.

There are sports out there where doping is prevalent. Or we have seen exposed, cycling, mma, baseball, swimming. And definitely in mma we find people getting caught all the time

Why do we never see rugby/football players caught? Or it is very rare if we do. Do you think it's just the level of money involved allows for better doping plans?

There are sports out there where doping is prevalent. Or we have seen exposed, cycling, mma, baseball, swimming. And definitely in mma we find people getting caught all the time

Why do we never see rugby/football players caught? Or it is very rare if we do. Do you think it's just the level of money involved allows for better doping plans?

I was at a conference many years ago where the Chelsea team doctors were describing infusing Didier Drogba with his own stored blood to increase healing time and help with an injury and to keep his energy levels up. What they had described was plain as day blood doping. When my colleague pointed this out, they seemed genuinely confused, and most of those at the conference seemed shocked at the suggestion. In this regard, how many players are doping without realising it as their own team doctors are misinforming them. Wilful ignorance as much as anything. Brian O'Driscoll admitted taking painkillers to get through the matches and that if you didn't, you wouldn't make it, this is doping and fair play to him for admitting it but no one made a big deal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

The public and media dont seem to care about the likes of soccer etc. There was a very interesting article about Leicester Citys medical programme for their premier league title and how others have also done similar. From memory it suggests Liveroool did it last year and hence wont win the premier league this year as the toll on players is too much to keep it going through another season. I think it largely was to do with extreme levels of caffeine amongst other things

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Not related to this but I have a friend, he's a nice guy but waaaay too competitive. I won't play him in anything because he will cheat, he can't stand losing and cheating is a compulsion. I even caught him cheating in top trumps FFS, he just can't help it. On the other hand, away from anything involving competition, he'd do anything for you.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A number of reasons...
    • Don't test don't find. Or don't effectively test, don't find
    • In some cases, like Operación Puerto, don't bother investigating the footballers and clubs, tennis players implicated. Just focus on the easy fall guy sports like cycling.
    • Things that are doping in cycling, aren't considered doping in other sports. Cram mentions an example. In a football context, they mention injections all the time in press conferences without an eyebrow being raised. Cycling has a no needles policy! It's an old Robert Millar quote "a footb
      aller takes a cortisone injection to play he's a hero, a cyclist does it he's a doper".

The Juventus team in the 90's have pretty much confirmed to have "thick blood".

Personally, as someone who has been watching football since the 80's - the game now is far more predicated on aerobic capacity than it used to be. Notwithstanding the number of matches won in injury time, the effect of being less tired on mental and skill capacity, the fact that the trend is away from squad rotation (compared to the 90's).

Cycling fans search for often often non-existant dots to join - football fans can't see them in front of their eyes. Mainly because "game of skill".

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Doping is cheating, just because it may go on unpunished in other sports doesn't make it
    any more acceptable in cycling.

Let football, tennis and rugby look after their own sports, their failings arent an excuse for practices uncovered in cycling since the 1980s by numerous teams on a systematic basis.

there are still many practices in cycling that need looking at
    Barne Riis an admitted doper running a team??
    Lotto Jumbo using Ketones? UCI report on high usage of tramadol in pro cycling?

And that is just the ones we can see.

What are the current preferred methods or is it the usual old reliable's and fools thinking they can get away with it in the short term, it's been a while since I've done any reading on the subject.

If I recall one young lad was done for EPO earlier in the year, could have be Mexican and had signed for EF if I recall.

Haven't heard what came about after the raid on Arkea's hotel at the tour that time.

Is the testing able to catch everything currently being done in terms of doping, have my suspicions it isn't and is only going to catch the fools or the ones without big bucks.

but only in so far as they would any rider in that they treated him as innocent until proven guilty as anyone should be .

Except the butcher it seems.

Ignoring the Mickey Mouse analysis the amateur hour around the chain of custody you could hardly make up.

The entire defence was based on evidence gathered by the Accused. No receipt, wrong bags....

A customer in the shop who I don't know but who works in department told me the meat comes from...

For years since I read report but it was enjoyable over lunch

• Advertisement

Except the butcher it seems.

Ignoring the Mickey Mouse analysis the amateur hour around the chain of custody you could hardly make up.

The entire defence was based on evidence gathered by the Accused. No receipt, wrong bags....

A customer in the shop who I don't know but who works in department told me the meat comes from...

For years since I read report but it was enjoyable over lunch

It was a weird event, the analyst said it during examination that he told him (the athlete) that it was a waste of time unless he gave him the name of the butchers and he went and got the meat himself, therefore creating a chain of custody. The athlete would have been better of if he had let the analyst do that and when it was negative shrug and say, well I tried. There was no actual analysis other than the sample was tested and showed positive.

Advertisement