Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Masters 40 RR Champ doping ban

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

i'd have assumed horses were tested incredibly regularly. to be fair, they're not shy about giving urine samples.

:D
    It's for things like capsaicin too, can be rubbed on the front cannon bones to make them more sensitive hitting a pole, injections to the coronary band for the same reasons, and that's before you get into high level endurance racing, the stuff done by certain people in that is genuinely bone choking. The things that can be done are horrible and varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

godtabh wrote: »
    If you are competing at A3 or M60 (which my uncle won recently and I've seen the effort put into that) you only get out what you put in.

Jimmy Flynn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

G1032 wrote: »
    So this isn't the first time in this thread that the assertion has been made that the M40 means nothing.
    Ask G Boland who came 4th if it meant nothing.
    Ask all the riders who took to the start line of a 133km race after a long seasons training and racing that would have started back the previous November if it meant nothing.
    It does mean something.. It's a National Championship RR that most racing riders in Ireland would never have a hope of winning because they're just not good enough.
    The race itself seems to be getting very unfairly belittled here a bit by some posters.

It clearly means a huge amount to most competitors. You see the distances riders travel for it and the banter in club circles around it.

But in terms of career or life direction it means nothing. Apart from kudos and personal esteem a win won't change anything

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Some thoughts here. I remember racing go karts as a kid and some of the dads would be adding illegal octane boosting fuel additives. Testing came and went but the practice never stopped for sure. One day I remember the race Marshall letting the karts sit on the grid with the fuel caps off for 15-20 mins to let the additives fume off. That was in the 8-12 class if I recall correctly too

Money makes you fast in karting. And cheating helps. I’ve learned of deep engine mods out of spec that give you extra speed. I still remember some unusual sounding karts and guys I could never keep up with.

Ok relating to cycling I’m sure there were guys in that 40s race who spent €1,000s on ceramic upgrades and watt shaving mods, trained to perfection, spent too much time away from the family and all that stuff and in reality never stood a chance. Left wondering how much of the above they could sustain the next season.

Cheating is fascinating as always and it never surprises what people will do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My family are notorious for addictive personalities. In this regard, being addicted to cycling has been beneficial physically. On occasion I've given up booze, started morning stretching programs, new tyres, removing bolts. All replaced other addictions and you can get really into it. Of all the things I have done, eating well and losing weight is the only thing that had a noticeable affect. Everything else I could have gained more from just racing smarter (which is zero craic). If you are A4 or A3, it's really hard to understand why you'd dope as if you need it at that level, you haven't a hope higher up, so you'll just get humiliated at the higher levels. There is no noticeable difference in my positioning from my times on a steel audax bike to my super light carbon bike over the years. With alot of work I in theory could upgrade from A3. With even more I could survive the Ras but if at any time in the future I surpass these levels, call the authorities.

I suppose the other issue is that this happens across all sports but despite the rules, alot of people don't see it as doping or cheating, cheats will always find a way to justify it to themselves. I've also heard of riders turning round at races when they seem the doping control, my brother in law once told me of a meet out in UCD where the athletes brother waved him off and he sprinted off the track and into the car as the race ended to avoid them. It's insane. Riders who have driven half way across the country then do a u turn at the line, they are all fools if they think it's not noticed.

It's sad too, once he refused the test he should have been handed a ban rather than this muppetry. I realise there are rules but they need to be tightened. Refuse a test and get a 5 year no contest ban and all previous results stripped IMO.

Those athletes who have multiple no shows, can't hear their doorbells, it's all BS and the fact that it is effectively tolerated is a shambles. The fact that GAA has a different set of rules, even though we are all effectively amateur but somehow they get dispensation for the word inter county, because apparently they made those words up.

Christ on a bike, the IADA could be kept busy pointing out the obvious cheats in many sports but funnily enough, they just don't seem to care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement