Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon fire stick 4k

Options
  • 04-11-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Why is Amazon saying the Fire stick cannot be delivered to Ireland?

I bought on from Currys for €59 plus delivery. They are currently £29.99 on Amazon.co.uk and I wanted to buy a second one.
    Are they different from the currys one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

tina1040 wrote: »

I bought on from Currys for €59 plus delivery. They are currently £29.99 on Amazon.co.uk and I wanted to buy a second one.
    I don't know why it can't be delivered directly to Ireland, but you have the option of delivering to Parcel Motel or a UK virtual address and onwards to Ireland which will cost approx. 4 euro in delivery charges i.e. free within the UK and 4 euro charge from third party delivery company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

They are the same. Just use parcel motel/parcel wizard or address pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Thanks. It's a good price so I was hoping it wasn't something that would cause a problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Following my post last night, I checked on live chat last night. The rep I got didn't have the best English so I had to clarify that there was only a delivery restriction and not something that prevents use in Ireland. I went ahead and ordered one.

Late last night I received an email from Amazon. I'm not quite sure what it means.
    This is it:-

I'm writing to follow up on our recent chat conversation.

I understand that you are having issue with the prime video's.

I'm sorry since you have purchased the 3rd gen fire tv stick, you need to have UK payment card and billing address to access the fire tv stick

At this time, Prime Video purchases and rentals are only available on Fire TV and Fire TV Stick devices to customers from the following marketplaces: the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Japan.

Eligible customers outside these countries can use Fire TV Stick Basic Edition to access streaming content from Prime Video. Content available from Prime Video varies by country and does not include purchases or rentals.

When you change the country settings for your Amazon account, you'll no longer be able to access any of your Prime Video purchases or rentals. Your purchases will still be available if you change back to your original country settings, but any rentals will no longer be available.

Some apps and games may not work in your new country. If you have questions about app compatibility, contact the app developer.

Due to the complexity of the problem, and possible missing information, I recommend you to contact us by phone or chat, so that we can work together to solve the problem.]

You can reach our Fire TV Customer Support by phone directly and toll free seven days a week. Click the Contact Us option on the Fire TV Support pages:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/firetvsupport

You can also visit https://www.amazon.co.uk/contact-us and follow the prompts.

Contacting us through the website allows you to verify security and ensures that we have your account information ready when we call you.

If you need help with your Fire TV device, please make sure that you have the device and any additional accessories with you when you contact us.

Thanks for choosing Fire TV.
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Warmest regards,
    Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My brother bought one from Currys, but Amazon Prime Video doesn't work on it here (other services on it do work). When he went to Amazon about it, they said it was because it wasn't supported in Ireland. When he went to Currys about it, they said that was the only one they sold.

This page says that "Fire TV Stick Basic Edition" is the only one that works in Ireland for Prime Video.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201624360

So I assume they don't ship the regular ones here, as they're not supported (in terms of Prime Video at least). Currys don't seem to care about that detail.

However, the Basic Edition that would work here (and doesn't ship to the UK) seems to be unavailable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-TV-Stick-Basic-International/dp/B01ETRGFA8

So it all seems to be wrapped up in geographic licencing rights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Following my post last night, I checked on live chat last night. The rep I got didn't have the best English so I had to clarify that there was only a delivery restriction and not something that prevents use in Ireland. I went ahead and ordered one.

Late last night I received an email from Amazon. I'm not quite sure what it means.
    This is it:-

I'm writing to follow up on our recent chat conversation.

I understand that you are having issue with the prime video's.

I'm sorry since you have purchased the 3rd gen fire tv stick, you need to have UK payment card and billing address to access the fire tv stick

At this time, Prime Video purchases and rentals are only available on Fire TV and Fire TV Stick devices to customers from the following marketplaces: the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Japan.

Eligible customers outside these countries can use Fire TV Stick Basic Edition to access streaming content from Prime Video. Content available from Prime Video varies by country and does not include purchases or rentals.

When you change the country settings for your Amazon account, you'll no longer be able to access any of your Prime Video purchases or rentals. Your purchases will still be available if you change back to your original country settings, but any rentals will no longer be available.

Some apps and games may not work in your new country. If you have questions about app compatibility, contact the app developer.

Due to the complexity of the problem, and possible missing information, I recommend you to contact us by phone or chat, so that we can work together to solve the problem.]

You can reach our Fire TV Customer Support by phone directly and toll free seven days a week. Click the Contact Us option on the Fire TV Support pages:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/firetvsupport

You can also visit https://www.amazon.co.uk/contact-us and follow the prompts.

Contacting us through the website allows you to verify security and ensures that we have your account information ready when we call you.

If you need help with your Fire TV device, please make sure that you have the device and any additional accessories with you when you contact us.

Thanks for choosing Fire TV.
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Warmest regards,
    Amazon.co.uk

Don’t be going drawing attention to anything like this.
    I have 2 sticks I got from
    Amazon and both okaying prime video and working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

So I assume they don't ship the regular ones here, as they're not supported (in terms of Prime Video at least). Currys don't seem to care about that detail.

Curry's seem quite cavalier in selling and/or advertising products that are not fully supported in Ireland.

The regularly advertise TVs as including UK only features such as Freeview Play and then footnote it may not work outside UK (on the Irish site).

Similarly I purchased HP Instant Ink cartridges that included 10 free months only redeemable at HP UK and I have also seen them selling vouchers for the UK service in the past as well. I had to use PM to register in order to use the cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

dam099 wrote: »
    Curry's seem quite cavalier in selling and/or advertising products that are not fully supported in Ireland.

The regularly advertise TVs as including UK only features such as Freeview Play and then footnote it may not work outside UK (on the Irish site).

Similarly I purchased HP Instant Ink cartridges that included 10 free months only redeemable at HP UK and I have also seen them selling vouchers for the UK service in the past as well. I had to use PM to register in order to use the cartridges.

Going back a few years, I bought a dect phone from Currys only to find it had a BT phone connection. They were less than helpful when I pointed this out and suggested I buy an adapter from them! I insisted on a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Given Eir provide free Prime Video with their broadband, you’ll find it is indeed available in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Given Eir provide free Prime Video with their broadband, you’ll find it is indeed available in Ireland
    Not anymore, starting to charge €5.99 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

caddy16 wrote: »
    Not anymore, starting to charge €5.99 a month.

Either way, it's still available here :pac:

Either way, it's still available here :pac:

No ones saying Prime Video isn’t available Ireland. I have it myself, and so does my brother.

The issue is that Amazon Firesticks don’t support Prime Video here (with Irish Amazon accounts). Not sure what Gumbo’s solution to the problem is, but I’d be interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

No ones saying Prime Video isn’t available Ireland. I have it myself, and so does my brother. I can play the content no problem on multiple devices.

The issue is that Amazon Firesticks don’t support Prime Video here (with Irish Amazon accounts). Not sure what Gumbo’s solution to the problem is, but I’d be interested to know.

It's an easy enough work around. You need to install the prime video app from Aptoide market, but first you need to download the Aptoide APK to your firestick.

After you install new prime video app use that to play films instead of the launcher home page.

Here's a horrible video showing a few extra steps

https://youtu.be/JbmdiHaM-nI

You can just cast the film's from your prime video app on your phone to the firestick either if you want the lazy solution, skip all the steps above!

PS: above applies if you have an Irish address prime account

No ones saying Prime Video isn’t available Ireland. I have it myself, and so does my brother. I can play the content no problem on multiple devices.

I have nothing specific done.
    I’m logged in with my standard Amazon account.
    I have prime video. I was watching GT the other day.

I’m Amazon prime member (£3.99 per month) of that makes any difference?
    No VPN blocker thing or anything.

Happy to share settings if someone tells me where I have to look!

That's cool it's working for you. My bro is also paying for Prime Video, and when he logs in on the FS he bought in Currys, it says it's not available in his country. Amazon said that the FS was a British one and wasn't supported here. Currys said it's the only one they sell. He could have sent it back for a refund, but he decided to keep it, as everything else works, and he just casts APV from his phone to it. He said that he's seem people on the web saying that they got on to Amazon and they sorted it out, but they wouldn't budge for him.

TBH, it's not my issue, so I'm not going to spend any time on it myself, just relying his experience, and offering a possible explanation why Amazon don't ship them here.

That's cool it's working for you. My bro is also paying for Prime Video, and when he logs in on the FS he bought in Currys, it says it's not available in his country. Amazon said that the FS was a British one and wasn't supported here. Currys said it's the only one they sell. He could have sent it back for a refund, but he decided to keep it, as everything else works, and he just casts APV from his phone to it. He said that he's seem people on the web saying that they got on to Amazon and they sorted it out, but they wouldn't budge for him.

TBH, it's not my issue, so I'm not going to spend any time on it myself, just relying his experience, and offering a possible explanation why Amazon don't ship them here.

Maybe the difference is that I bought direct from Amazon?

Advertisement