Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlo System...

Options
  • 04-11-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

I bought an Arlo Q years ago and was using it in various rented apartments... So I was in their ecosystem... Last year during black Friday I picked up a twin pack of Pro 2's and an Audio Doorbell... There was a bit of a ****up from Amazon & I ended up with a free pair of Arlo Pros as well...

So, a year later & I finally moved into the house, and I've set everything up, 5 cameras and a doorbell. I've spent some time managing motion detection/sensitivity and stuff like that, but so far they are great. I was worried about them getting signal from the base station, because WiFi and phone signal are having massive issues with the insulation. But it hasn't been an issue.

The audio doorbell is great & I have it connected to a camera above and to the side of the door. When I receive a call from the doorbell, the lag is not bad at all. The tiniest gripe I have is that when the call comes through, you don't get a preview image... But things like the automatic responses are great.

The camera themselves have about a 4-6 second lag... But that's grand. I have notifications turned off, I just want to have a library of videos in case I do need to go back over them.

7 days free unlimited storage is also great. I'll be adding a couple of IFTTT routines to use the cameras motion detection to trigger Hue bulbs in the patch and back garden.

That's it, just thought I'd give a little update as there's so much focus on Ring and Nest systems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I picked up the Arlo Pro for next to nothing during the summer and I'm really happy with mine too. The notifications and geo-fencing are reliable and, while it's not HD, I can't really complain for the price. One thing I'm worried about is that with smart solutions for the home the broadband becomes the main vulnerability insofar as once your connection is compromised you're totally cut off. I only have two cameras and I think a third one would be enough for my needs so I'm thinking of getting the Arlo Go as camera number three and popping a Vodafone V SIM in it (€3 a month subscription I believe). Although, Vodafone have also rebranded this camera and sell a version if it themselves where they offer their own online back-up solution, I'm not sure which to go for in this situation. I feel like having one camera that's not reliant on the home wifi would be sufficient protection if I put it in the living room since that's the centre of the house as such. At least with the Vodafone branded camera there's no faffing around with configuring APNs etc.

The only thing that annoys me is their newer products don't offer 7-day backup without subscription. Also, I've been too lazy to investigate it further, but I would like to be able to activate motion detection during the night while everyone is asleep (so to input night hours) but I haven't quite figured out how to do that in addition to geo-fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Depending on your base station, you can store videos locally on a usb drive or SD card... Also the hubs uses its own mesh, so not reliant on WiFi connection.

You can set up your motion detect on a schedule or geofencing, depending on what you want to achieve.

I use some of the older cameras, as I've no intention of signing up for subscriptions... One of my pet peeves in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Have an Arlo Pro 2 system (4 cameras) for last 2 years, with a doorbell and chime recently added as well. Two cameras are located outside at upstairs roof level, and I have connected them to solar panels so they dont need a power supply; they are totally wirefree

I dont have a subscription for the 4 cameras as the free 7-day free storage is enough for me. The doorbell did not include free storage so I have signed up for a subscription (€3 per month) which gives 30-day storage, but it is worth it.

In my experience it is a really good and reliable system.

Advertisement