Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera (webcam) on Tesco tills

• 04-11-2020 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Was in my local Tesco store today in Artane. While using the self service checkouts, while I was scanning my products I noticed a selfie video of me on the screen in the upper right hand corner! I was a bit shocked but said nothing.

Has anyone else noticed this on the self service tills and what do you think? Invading people’s privacy in my opinion!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Was in my local Tesco store today in Artane. While using the self service checkouts, while I was scanning my products I noticed a selfie video of me on the screen in the upper right hand corner! I was a bit shocked but said nothing.

Has anyone else noticed this on the self service tills and what do you think? Invading people’s privacy in my opinion!

Don't shop there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No. Hadn’t noticed.

No issue.

How was your ‘privacy’ invaded? In a busy shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You were probably on camera going in to the store and several times while in the aisles. What's the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a reminder that there's CCTV; nothing else. Its almost certain that every self checkout you've used, anywhere, has direct CCTV on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You were probably on cctv whilst driving to the store, cctv entering the car park, cctv in the car park, cctv at entrance to the shop, cctv all over the shop, cctv at the tills.

Above applies to almost every store / centre.

If there's an issue, or if you seem suspicious, the cctv comes into its own.

If no issue, it simply gets deleted / recorded over every x number of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Seen it in Tesco on Dame street last week. Have not noticed it any where else yet

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Invading people’s privacy in my opinion!

How exactly?

I'm sure that, on your way in to the store, you walked past signs advising that they use CCTV. That was the time to leave if you don't like it.
    You were probably recorded every minute you were in the store by the ceiling mounted cameras - why should the checkouts be any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Its a way to stop shoplifting at the self-serve tills.

Social Psychology studies have shown that people who who can see themselves in a mirror are much less likely to cheat in exams or assessments, when supervisors appear to leave the room.

But its also reminding you gently that you are on CCTV.

If you don't like the camera, go to a till with a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bicyclette wrote: »

If you don't like the camera, go to a till with a person.

Although there's a significant chance its on camera too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 alig1234

marko99 wrote: »
    How exactly?

I'm sure that, on your way in to the store, you walked past signs advising that they use CCTV. That was the time to leave if you don't like it.
    You were probably recorded every minute you were in the store by the ceiling mounted cameras - why should the checkouts be any different?

under GDPR Tesco cannot assume your consent by placing notices around the door your consent must be explicitly given, two of my family members work in tesco and claim these cameras are operated by a central tesco security hub where tesco loss management security staff view them to see if they are letting friends through with alcohol they havent paid for. understandable but not GDPR compliant,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

L1011 wrote: »

Of course there is, that much money in the till. I actually find it reassuring in such instances, worked in my favour once when I broke a 50 got change of a 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

alig1234 wrote: »
    under GDPR Tesco cannot assume your consent by placing notices around the door your consent must be explicitly given, two of my family members work in tesco and claim these cameras are operated by a central tesco security hub where tesco loss management security staff view them to see if they are letting friends through with alcohol they havent paid for. understandable but not GDPR compliant,

What are you talking about? GDPR just gets thrown about now about everything. You are entering a premises of which CCTV recording is notified around the store for various reasons. If they used this CCTV for something outside of the reasons stated then you could talk about GDPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Quick Google explains more-

In any public spaces, shops, cafés or museums, it is now rare that CCTV is not in place, monitoring the individuals present. This is usually for the purposes of security, which is perfectly legal once the data controller complies with their obligations under GDPR – most importantly, that of transparency to the individual recorded. Once the individual knows of the recording, they may then invoke their right to access the video as a data subject.

It therefore must be reasonably clear to any individual that (a) recording is taking place, (b) the purpose of this recording, and (c) the identity of the ‘data controller’ and any contact information. The normal means of undertaking this is by the placement of appropriate signage in the locus of the recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How is it that in all the years you probably have been going to Tesco that you're only figuring out now that they have security cameras recording you?
    alig1234 wrote:

Some sort of Freeman argument going on there. That's not the way GDPR works. A quick Google would tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

With respect, that's a load of cobblers.

By that logic, CCTV wouldn't exist anywhere. It's a fact of life now, you go into a shop, you'll be recorded on CCTV. This is for the prevention and detection of crime.

Article 23 of the Gdpr exempts this.
    "the prevention, investigation, detection or prosecution of criminal offences or the execution of criminal penalties, including the safeguarding against and the prevention of threats to public security;"

Gdpr isn't some magic cover all. There's loads of reasonable exemptions to it. It was originally brought in as an update to various EU nations Data Protection laws, primarily to stop online companies selling your private data to each other. (which was a relatively knew data issue).

It wasn't brought in to stop you being recorded on cctv in Tesco. Ironically, odds are you've accepted cookies on this website.

Exemptions: https://gdpr-info.eu/art-23-gdpr/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

How is it that in all the years you probably have been going to Tesco that you're only figuring out now that they have security cameras recording you?

I know and knew about cctv. But there has never been the webcam type cameras and my face in a box on the actual screen of the till before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I know and knew about cctv. But there has never been the webcam type cameras and my face in a box on the actual screen of the till before.

Unexpected item?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Invading your privacy while you're out in public?? How does that make any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

L1011 wrote: »

From someone that works in a supermarket, yes. Cameras in retail shops are very high spec nowadays and can easily make a person out. The quality is quite amazing.

Rest assured every single till is under camera and both customer and staff are monitored all the time.

Same goes for when you are out in the car park, in the aisles, theres a 99% change your face is on camera, even if you dont know it.

I welcome the use of cameras on self scan as you'd be surprised the amount of people that abuse the self scans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is the data being used for other purposes though? For example to identify which family member is using the clubcard and to correlate purchasing choices for the purposes of direct marketing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is the data being used for other purposes though? For example to identify which family member is using the clubcard and to correlate purchasing choices for the purposes of direct marketing?

Extremely, extremely unlikely, woukd take a significant investment in facial reog tech to do this and that tech seriously sucks when reading the face of darker skinned people.

Not to mention its utterly useless when everyone is wearing masks.

But if the op wanted to wear a tinfoil hat and agree with you then they could ask tesco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

alig1234 wrote:
    under GDPR Tesco cannot assume your consent

I never mentioned consent, which is not required. I said they were making you aware that they operate CCTV. Once they do it within the guidelines published by the DPC, that's all that's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Theres also a notice on the front door that I forms you that your progress round the store is tracked, by tracking your phone. I knew the technology existed, but it never dawned on me that it had been implemented there.

I wonder how confounded they'd be if I hid my phone next to the tills on the way in and collected it on the way out???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

2 of your family may be incorrect. The guy operating and monitoring them is usually literally sitting at the entrance to most of the stores. It's not to explicitly check if staff are giving friends alcohol for free.

Advertisement