Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do people genuinely enjoy their jobs

• 04-11-2020 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes, but I only work part time and it's never early mornings

It's a case of: job to earn the money whilst trying to become good enough at what you enjoy that people pay you for it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Some of my colleagues do but I don't. For me not hating a job is as good as it gets and that's fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Maybe for a few weeks then it gets repetitive. No matter what it is.

Before you say something never gets repetitive it does. Everything gets repetitive even if its thinking up things that arnt repetitive.

Or of course if they have nowhere else to go each day

I enjoy my job....prob not as well paid as some jobs out there,but no money would pay me to be miserable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I'm a teacher and I do genuinely really enjoy what I do. Of course there are tough days and the paperwork is very demanding, but there's those lessons when you're really in the zone and the children are so into it. That's why I do what I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Would I rather get up and work tomorrow or stay in bed, get up in the middle of the day and flute about for the day? Stay in bed, every time. But I’ve bills to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Software tester here. Absolutely hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

If you enjoy people...a people person, most jobs boil down to 'dealing' with people because the actual job becomes routine. Especially if in the service industries, or any management.
    If you don't particularly enjoy dealing with people (also depends on the peopleðŸ˜) then you should do a job where the actual job is a passion OR at the very least enjoyable/challenging too you.
    Money however raises it's ugly head and leads to people doing jobs that don't suit and to excess hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I spent some of today playing with a pension spreadsheet in excel. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve enjoyed elements of certain jobs, but jobs are repetitive, you have no or little control over your work environment, people who you work for and with.

You might love the work but dislike people you work for or with, you might hate the work but like the people who work with you...or for...

It’s rare but possible where all the three elements align, where you like the work, employees and employer. I worked in a situation where I did, but in other jobs it was difficult to find that happiness and common ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I honestly do love my job, and I loved my last job too, there are elements that aren't great but there are days when i have so much fun.

I am not mad about the money however, I am in the third sector and know of I did a similar job in the public sector I would be on at least 30% more money not to mention other entitlements, but I would probably also be drowning in paperwork and have little room for creativity so I guess over all I am better being happier with less money, not great when trying to get a mortgage though.

Software tester. I enjoy my job when I'm left alone.

If I won the lotto tomorrow I'd quit and find a part-time job in a book shop and spend my time telling people they're buying and reading the wrong books.

They wouldn't listen but I'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I enjoy mine, no day is the same.

If you are going to be spending the major part of your day doing something, then do something you will enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nope, hate it. It's something to do and they pay me, that's about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I quite like my job, the work itself can be interesting. When I'm left alone to do it. It's always other people; whiney, needy co-workers that suck the joy out of it. WFH is a dream tbh. Just stick the "BUSY" marker on and they can all fcuk away off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

I am an industrial software engineer and I like my job. It pays well, it's reasonably challenging and people I work with are very smart. No need to wear a suit or to start at 9am sharp, but the work needs to be done. It is a bit stressful though.

Overall even if I had enough money not to work, I would probably continue to work 3-4 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been in the same industry many years and love it, or at least enjoy it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Work in a theater ATM so it's grand for me TBH. Dealing with customers/clients can be an interesting experience by times, esp over the phone, but there are far worse jobs out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Yes. Paramedic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I like my job it's interesting, I work part-time, I am always a little put off the idea of people saying they love their work.

Always work to live not live to work.

• Advertisement

Used to be a credit controller, and I kinda hated it. I was good at it, which was nice, but it's soul destroying work.

Now. Lecturer in China. Yup. Totally love my job. Living in a very different culture, and my university likes to send me to other countries to help their Chinese professors. Good times. Alas, online teaching now, which sucks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm in mobile IT for a multinational so it has its ups and downs. My manager is a great guy to work for so it could be a lot worse. The work can be repetitive and boring but I do get some nice new tech to play with every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Physio here and I genuinely love it. I'm lucky to be self employed and really enjoy working with my clients especially the elderly and children. They can be hilarious and just make you smile. <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm in mobile IT for a multinational so it has its ups and downs. My manager is a great guy to work for so it could be a lot worse. The work can be repetitive and boring but I do get some nice new tech to play with every year.

I'm a window cleaner, it has its ups and downs also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm starting to hate it more and more. Wouldn't say i ever really loved it, but it was ok, there was work to be done but the pay was decent and a bit of craic to be had. Recent change of management and it has just sucked the life out of the place, zero respect for people, very dishonest, treat employees like they are getting in the way of their management glory rather than actually doing the fúcking work. Place is teetering on the brink of collapse, yet these shower of prícks are strutting around as if they're running amazon. Horrible, horrible place at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

im in IT until jan 2020 we were a 15 person company and it was stressful but you got stuff done, since then we were taken over by a uk company not bad, boss gave us a few quid from the sale. 3 months later uk company was sold to an american company hopeless (our way or the highway attitude) and very difficult now to get any work done as we are an outlier site.

but i did get a cuddly lion in a company t shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

self employed, the job can be tough at times but being your own boss is great, most of the time its employers and colleagues that make people hate their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

lalababa wrote: »
    If you enjoy people...a people person, most jobs boil down to 'dealing' with people because the actual job becomes routine. Especially if in the service industries, or any management.
    If you don't particularly enjoy dealing with people (also depends on the peopleðŸ˜) then you should do a job where the actual job is a passion OR at the very least enjoyable/challenging too you.
    Money however raises it's ugly head and leads to people doing jobs that don't suit and to excess hours.

I enjoy dealing with nice people but I also deal with absolute scum some of the time, it is rare enough but they do appear once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I changed to a manufacturing job this year while I finish college.
    Its such a sh@te-show.
    Dregs.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    I like my job it's interesting, I work part-time, I am always a little put off the idea of people saying they love their work.

Always work to live not live to work.

Really? I love my work. It's part of me and is more than just a job. It can get tiring and I need to be mindful of burn out but I feel I have the balance right. If I won the lottery in the morning I'd still keep a foot in the industry. It's something I can't ever see myself leaving behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i love my job - wouldnt swop it for the world

I dont mind my job but I'd like to be working less hours. 9 to 5 five days a week is too much. I'd like to do 4 days max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its like everything else, it is what you make it. I like my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I enjoy my job. Always learning, almost always busy, interesting (to me) work, colleagues are sound, pays decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Was there a thread on here recently about people who had retired from their job at a young age adn retirement in general?

I can't seem to find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I work in a prison and there's some amount of scumbags in there. And then there's the inmates as well.

Advertisement