Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get back in Social Care profession

Options
  • 05-11-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction on this one.

I graduated as a Social Care Worker in 2014, after completing my work placement in Drug Addiction. When I was just out of college there were no Social Care Worker jobs close to me whatsoever and of course as I needed to make money I ended up taking a job in a call centre. This job was in insurance, and as the months passed I found myself really enjoying it and ended up completing my insurance exams, now CIP qualified and still working there 6 years later.
    However, my passion is and always has been Social Care and I am looking to try and get myself back into that line of work. Unfortunately as I have no experience (except for 3 months work placement) I fall outside criteria for any jobs advertised. As well as that, after 6 years I wouldn't be on the ball with a lot of things in this department.
    I've tried searching revision courses but haven't found anything.
    Is there anything anyone can recommend here? A course to do/an organisation that would employ someone with no experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

A lot of organisations take students who are yet to qualify so you should definitely be able to find a job through Nua Healthcare, TTM or CPL. Join the Social Care Workers of Ireland Facebook page too, it is a great resource for beginners. Also, if you don't drive, make a start on that. It seems to be a requirement in many roles at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

I am a team leader in social care. It is a broad area, what kind of work are you looking for, when you decide this it will narrow down the search.
    If looking to get into residential care, a driving licence is definitely needed. It is very frustrating have staff in units who can not drive.

Advertisement