Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark to cull up to 17 million mink amid coronavirus fears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any tests done in the bird life in Denmark, as far as I know seagulls are another contributor or so I seen in reports, they apparently infected the minks. Wasn't one seagull detected to have covid in one of its feet around the area of the mink farms.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That will come as a relief to the mink

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would prefer if they just culled them all and ended the horrible practice once and for all

I would prefer if they just culled them all and ended the horrible practice once and for all

Absolutely, grotesque practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

They are stopping the cull to protect the industry, not to save the mink.... Although they will get a bit more "growing time" before they are due to meet their same faith anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Some quotes from Prof Francois Balloux, director of the Genetics Institute at University College London:

"SARSCoV2 mutations acquired in minks are not concerning. We already knew that SARSCoV2 can transmit from minks to humans.

There are thousands of mutations in SARSCoV2 arising constantly. The fact that a few have been observed in minks will not change the strains in circulation in humans. If they were beneficial for the virus to infect its human host, they would be at high frequency already.

The 'vaccine escape' scare story is just idiotic. Vaccine-escape mutations may (or not) arise in humans in the future, if they are advantageous to the virus (once vaccines will be deployed). They definitely won't be fuelled by mutations having emerged in minks.

This is a typical example of all that is wrong with science and its communication in the COVID19 era. An interesting observation gets misunderstood and blown out of proportion and ends up as a silly and confusing story fuelling further fear and confusion in the public

It would be really helpful if scientists, journalists and politicians all tried to be a bit more careful and responsible in the future. Such hysterical COVID19 pseudo-science is of benefit to no one."

TL:DR - The mink thing is a complete non-story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I do not know if there are other species in this universe, but hard to imagine any would have deserved their eventual extinction more than ours. It will truly be a glorious, majestic day for existence once our endlessly cruel, genocidal asses peace out. And I really hope there is at least someone out there who will dance on our collective grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

The_Brood wrote: »
    I do not know if there are other species in this universe, but hard to imagine any would have deserved their eventual extinction more than ours. It will truly be a glorious, majestic day for existence once our endlessly cruel, genocidal asses peace out. And I really hope there is at least someone out there who will dance on our collective grave.

Seems irrelevant either way.

One could argue we are a product of nature too or god's handiwork and this is how we were designed and nature is running its course.

Beavers build dams, we build bombs and pollute the place

Other animals destroy the habitat if allowed to overbreed too.

• Advertisement

Looks like all mink are to be culled in Ireland now. I can't believe these factories exist in Ireland. Hopefully that's the end of the industry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Looks like all mink are to be culled in Ireland now. I can't believe these factories exist in Ireland. Hopefully that's the end of the industry here.

I’d like to see the payments they receive from this publicised. Seeing as the ‘industry’ was doomed here anyway. I’m betting there’s a cushy payment involved from their friends in government. Dirty end to a dirty business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Why the f*ck do we have these farms here in this day and age? I really don't know how anyone involved in this kind of business sleeps at night. Scumbags.

Mostly for the China and Hong Kong market. They don't have the same regard for animal rights or husbandry as we do. One of the reasons we're in this mess in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1329364296745111555?s=19

I love the way RTE just refer to his title instead of naming him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Danish minister for Agriculture has resigned after it emerged his earlier order to cull all minks in Denmark was illegal.
    The government only has the authority to cull minks in areas where outbreaks have been detected.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/18/coronavirus-denmark-s-agriculture-minister-resigns-over-illegal-order-to-cull-mink

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Mostly for the China and Hong Kong market. They don't have the same regard for animal rights or husbandry as we do. One of the reasons we're in this mess in the first place.

What regard is that? We're the ones bloody farming them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What regard is that? We're the ones bloody farming them.

I'll be honest, I thought we'd banned it. But turns out we haven't.

https://www.hsi.org/news-media/fur-trade/
    Yes, fur farming has been banned in Austria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Luxembourg, the Netherlands (fox farm ban 1995, chinchilla 1997, mink 2024), Northern Ireland, Republic of Macedonia, Serbia, Slovenia, United Kingdom. Brazil’s State of Sao Paolo introduced a fur farming ban in 2014. In addition, fur farming has been/is being phased out in Denmark and Japan. In Germany (effective 2022), Sweden and Switzerland the welfare requirements on fur farms have been made so high as to effectively make fur farming economically unviable. In New Zealand, the import of mink is prohibited, which effectively bans mink farming. Ireland, Poland, Lithuania and Ukraine are currently considering fur farm ban legislation. India, Sao Paolo in Brazil, and West Hollywood and Berkley in the United States have all banned fur import or sale

No issue banning it but the link with a covid mutation that causes vaccine problems was I thought discredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Apparently Danish health officials are now asking people in two municipalities to seek a Covid test and limit their contacts, this is in West Jutland where they've got the mink farms. 115,000 people live in those municipalities - 180 "mink-related" cases so far (50% of them in those two places).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Danish minister for Agriculture has resigned after it emerged his earlier order to cull all minks in Denmark was illegal.
    The government only has the authority to cull minks in areas where outbreaks have been detected.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/18/coronavirus-denmark-s-agriculture-minister-resigns-over-illegal-order-to-cull-mink

Should be more resignations and possible prosecutions from what friends in Dk tell me.

PM apparently was fully aware that orders were illegal as were senior police chiefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Polar101 wrote: »
    Apparently Danish health officials are now asking people in two municipalities to seek a Covid test and limit their contacts, this is in West Jutland where they've got the mink farms. 115,000 people live in those municipalities - 180 "mink-related" cases so far (50% of them in those two places).

Have you a source for that please? I don't see it anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

El Sueño wrote: »
    Have you a source for that please? I don't see it anywhere
    Some work on Mink farms etc.

None linked to cluster 5 which was the one of concern, hasn't been a case linked to that since September.

The normal mink mutations have been reported in multiple countries and don't appear to be a problem.

https://twitter.com/TheLocalDenmark/status/1330932382661107712?s=19

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The thing about cluster 5 though, we may not know about it until the vaccine is in circulation and there could be a selective effect then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The thing about cluster 5 though, we may not know about it until the vaccine is in circulation and there could be a selective effect then?

Theres sequencing of strains on going all the time. Only the 12 cases recorded in Denmark and none since September. Whatever people's opinion on the monk industry the Danes are fairly upfront now in that culling was unnecessary & illegal.

Even at that there's been a good bit of chat from scientist's who study vaccines & disease, a lot of excellent twitter threads, varying opinions but most dont see cluster 5 as having too much of an adverse impact on vaccines

That's reassuring, thanks Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Yep, you just knew in 2020 burying mutant minks in shallow earth wouldn't be sufficient to stop them rising from their graves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I notice they have been skinned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

How were they all killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Gael23 wrote: »
    I notice they have been skinned

Wonder was it before or after they rose from the dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Back from the mink

Advertisement