Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Don't think so. Political parties aren't mentioned either, as far as I know. Nor in the US Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bad news lads, your favourite periodical agrees with me on this.

There isn't a hope in hell Ryan will be permitted to bring forward such potentially significant and impactful legislation as the hind-tit add on of a minor bill on variable speed limits and powered scooters.

From your point of view, you should also be seeking primary legislation that is robust, sustainable and ambitious, because the alternative will be, as the tweet describes, years of litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If it circumvents EU Directives, it won't get through the AG (even if it got out of the Department). Straw clutching there I feel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Paris managed to shutdown half the city to cars without circumventing any EU directives so I think we'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Where you trying to make some sort of point or looking for someone to endorse dangerous acts to allow you to do some kind of "gotcha"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mediocre walkability is something Dublin could only dream of to be honest. Walking around the city is worse than cycling, and much of that is to with the light sequences and waiting times for crossings and the fact that so much has been done to accomodate vehicular traffic in the city

Except outside leinster house. That thing changes within seconds of being pressed.

The "walkability" in the parts of Dublin around my office are massively improved with the covid changes, mainly to facilitate outdoor dining. Pretty sure Mannix was specifically against at least one of them too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Think Dublin Cycling Campaign might be having a protest of some sort over this.

That area actually has improved quite a bit in the last year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've seen plenty of cars parked entirely on the footpath outside Leinster House, though only during evening/night.

This is just the Council Executive trying to up the ante and create hysteria, ahead of the yet undetermined public consultation. No surprise that they have pulled the stunt in the middle of bike week for maximum effect.

They should proceed with the uncontentious elements without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I think we all know who upped the ante by challenging legality of active travel measures of council in the High Court. If ever there was a case of winning the battle but losing the war that was it. A much cleverer strategy would have been to challenge the approach based on evidence gathered during trial, which would be basically irrefutable. This is assuming of course that the end of civilisation did really occur due to a bike lane.

As regards a stay on active school travel, I think the real reason might be because Brexit. Or because Greens infighting. Or because… It’ll be some craic to read back over this thread again when the new legislation comes in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So we have to wait for the public consultation, even though we had a public consultation (several of them) that showed overwhelming support. Gotcha

Its almost as if the stunt pullers hate to see others pulling stunts......imagine that. Sounds like someone doesn't appreciate the bad press and pressure from parents who want to see their children to be able to travel safely to school.

I have been posting in a thread on the cycling forum for the last while about the impact cycle buses are going to have on the overall quality of bike infrastructure and to a lesser extent on the census next year.

Its a hell of a lot harder to say no to putting in protected infrastructure when you are talking about the alternative being 5, 6, 7, 8 year olds mixing with HGV's, buses and Chelsea tractors.

The more prolific cycle buses become, the fewer councilors will stop bike infrastructure and the more that will actively push for this infrastructure instead.

Strand Road and Deansgrange both went through (overwhelming positive) public consultations. Didn't stop the minority "upping the ante" running to the court.

• Advertisement

Nobody gotcha'd me, cos I don't give a monkeys if they go ahead one way or the other, but its pretty juvenile carry-on from unelected Council officials who will add to the cost of the overall project by their unprofessional actions and thats something I do object to.

Who's looking for "gotcha"? It's just an inconsistent position. Pro public consultation, unless the answer is wrong.

Its not a stunt if it falls within the powers of Councillors, its just the law. Its not a stunt if its ordinary people seeking legal recourse, its just the law.

Whats happening here is public officials in DLR (some of whom love a bit of public profile and empire building) acting outside of their obligations as unelected public servants, by adding unnecessarily to the overall cost of the combined project by their actions (temper tantrum), which without good reason is a violation of the Public Spending Code and probably of the terms of contract with the provider(s) doing the work. In other words they are playing with fire.

Unless, of course, their actions suit your anti-cycling agenda, in which case, "shure they're grand lads altogether"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

You publicly accused Robert Burns of improper behaviour weeks ago and you're alluding to it again. I presume you've actually done something about it if it offends you so much?

Yes I've spoken with several Councillors of my acquaintance about the conduct of the executive as a whole, because it is a collective under the Chief Exec. I was far from the only one raising such concerns and it has been acted upon. No doubt it will be again.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Was it in a private capacity as a concerned citizen or in your professional capacity as a planning consultant for developers that you spoke with them about it?

Well, given that developers have nothing at all to do with this (or even if they did, its not any that I'm aware of or any I'm providing services for) it was in a private capacity as a taxpayer and an opponent of waste and dereliction in the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Those that complain most shout loudest in politicians ears, and get listened to. Weak minded and easily influenced politicians seem to forget that they disproportionately hear more from people complaining than those in support.

• Advertisement

And if they were "weak minded" in a fashion that agreed with you, what would you call them then?

Advertisement