Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

Does this mean they'll be forced to make Deansgrange oneway?

The horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"[Brennan] said it would include the Deansgrange section of the project because the setup means it is "all or nothing". Asked if it will be a hard vote to win he said that "all votes are hard to win".

So basically anyone voting no to this is saying they don't want safe travel for kids in 65 schools

Ahh, you've got to love politics lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

looking forward to a time when cycle lanes and the merits and demerits extend beyond “Won’t somebody think of the children”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Council Chief Exec is not obliged to follow a Section 140, if in his opinion to do so would jeopardise public safety , so the whole exercise is a hollow bit of grandstanding anyway.

But the remainder of the scheme should be carried on with anyway, without Deansgrange, this shithousery by Burns and Co must not be tolerated.

The Council Chief Exec is not obliged to follow a Section 140, if in his opinion to do so would jeopardise public safety 

I've no doubt he will not determine safer infrastructure to be a risk and would follow through on building the full, complete, entire network, Deansgrange included. In fact, in his shoes, I would prioritise Deansgrange to ensure that any further shenanigans would result in the same situation again.

But the remainder of the scheme should be carried on with anyway, without Deansgrange, this shithousery by Burns and Co must not be tolerated.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm loving how much this is irritating you

Doesn't your taxes being spaffed up the wall by this incompetent Council irritate you at all? Cos it should.

Deansgrange will be a two-way solution or not at all. If that sinks the whole scheme, albeit unnecessarily, then so be it, it'll be laid at the Chief Execs door either way.

Doesn't your taxes being spaffed up the wall by this incompetent Council irritate you at all? Cos it should.

Only you could depict safe infrastructure as a waste

Deansgrange will be a two-way solution or not at all. If that sinks the whole scheme, albeit unnecessarily, then so be it

So screw the attendees of 65 schools because those in the Chelsea tractors would have a detour on their spin back from Brown Thomas.

Priorities, not sure you understand what the electorates are

it'll be laid at the Chief Execs door either way.

Only by those who are feeling the pressure after their antics blew up in their collective faces, everyone else knows where the blame lies for this delay

• Advertisement

Never say anything is safe. Its merely safeR.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can't take you seriously anymore when you call certain things shithousery and seem to praise the abject shithousery of Flynn and his ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭cletus

I'll say again, for the record, I have no skin in this at all, but do you think, if the Council Chief Exec objected to this on the grounds of public safety (the only reason you give as the basis for an objection) that it would constitute a legitimate objection?

Neither position is tenable, but its clear the Executive and the Councillors behind the Section 140 are acting together to squeeze the Deansgrange objectors.

The Executive first said they would proceed with the balance of the scheme pending a solution for the Deansgrange section and then sometime later said they couldn't do that on grounds of safety, specifically the integrated nature of the project, and so would suspend all works.

The S140 isnt just compelling them to restart the balance of works but also to complete the Deansgrange section, against the position already conceded by the Executive a fortnight ago, i.e. to reevaluate Deansgrange.

So, you ask me would the Executive ignoring the 140 be legitimate? I say their previous position that led to this particular 140 wasn't legitimate anyway and that two wrongs don't make a right. I also say they've created a hell of a mess with their muddled and amateurish carry-on.

Neither position is tenable, but its clear the Executive and the Councillors behind the Section 140 are acting together to squeeze the Deansgrange objectors.

Got some kind of evidence to back that up or did you mean to post it in the conspiracy theory forum?

The S140 isnt just compelling them to restart the balance of works but also to complete the Deansgrange section, against the position already conceded by the Executive a fortnight ago, i.e. to reevaluate Deansgrange.

Correct, the S 140 is saying forget your evaluation and get to work building the full network as you had planned to do

As for how this will all play out, who knows. Maybe the full network will be built, starting with Deansgrange, maybe nothing will be built and the status quo will remain. My money is on the former but if its the latter I am not going to stress about it too much. This infrastructure is coming one way or another

Not in the manner of a two-way cycle route on a traffic lane of the Deansgrange Road section, it isn't.

Why? Cos if DLR try and force it through, they'll get Mannix Flynned. And the precedent is there.

Strand Road went to Court and the petitioners were vindicated for the Council's lack of proper planning.

Its exactly the same here and the Council keeps changing the message and the parameters. Therefore, the shithousery is unilateral.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's either a network, or it isn't. Only someone who has never cycled Deansgrange in rush hour would think it appropriate to end a network aimed particularly at children to use at rush hour and expect them to negotiate that clusterf*ck. As a confident adult cyclist I have looked at alternatives, as Deansgrange is on my commute.

Nobody thinks it would be appropriate.

Whats being asked for, is two-way shoulder cycle lanes that maintain two-way vehicle traffic for vital access to businesses and the cemetery and for the 84 bus route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Vital for access to businesses and the cemetery or most simply that it is the most convenient way to drive there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

One way systems are obviously not vital then. Must write and tell the local authorities to rip them up or replace them with 2-way roads.

Its a one-way road, not the apocalypse. Looking at Galway, hundreds of businesses are surviving fine on one-way streets, including undertakers and even the buses operate without issue. Its the same in Cork and Limerick too.

Looking closer to Deansgrange, around Dublin City, there are loads of places where one-way is in use and has not caused issues.

Deansgrange is just not that special

Which would be a valid observation if the change wasn't to be isolation. But it is to be, and side streets, local estates and already congested and inefficient main roads nearby (thanks to more DLR stupidity) are the expected to bear the diverted traffic with no mitigation.

Thats why the proposal as it stands won't be tolerated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

main roads are mostly inefficient because the volume of traffic has far surpassed what they were ever designed for because there are far too many single occupancy vehicles making journeys of less than 5km, but lets continue with that.

I've no doubt you're right, mostly, but with stick must come carrot and with change must come valid alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Motorists (yourself included) seem to be under the illusion that cycle lanes are built to punish you. The alternative is the cycle lane that people can cycle on. They're not taking one lane and flinging it into outer space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

The carrot is the cycle lane, to encourage more people to cycle. The valid alternatives are to use the one way system if you have to drive, or else cycle! 😃

I think the issue is you are only able to see the stick and can't see the carrot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Personally I’m all for change, except this particular change that inconveniences me.

Advertisement