Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whatever about parking in a cycle lane, they're damaging council property (the bollards) - the council should send the store manager a bill, including the cost of sending guys out to replace the bollards, that would quickly put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That truck will not fit through the arch that leads to the rear carpark of the SuperValu. What else are they supposed to do to conduct their business? The Council should have been more concious of the reality on the ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

use a smaller truck? park a bit further away in a loading bay? remove the arch? park outside the bollards and block the road rather than the cycle lane and also not damage the infrastructure? it's hardly the council's problem.

I'm sure this is not the only supermarket that can't pull a van right up to it's front door, they can adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Remove the arch........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Have you never noticed that here in ireland many many people still havnt grasped the walk/cycle left, pass right thing. Have a go at trying to run a lap of Marlay Park sometime, its a real eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah, but then go to Dundrum and the escalators have stickers saying stand right, pass left!

No wonder we are in such a state!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cycle on the left, walk/run on the right is the rule.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is where some companies have gone had used specifically adapted vehicles to get into spaces they wouldn't ordinarily get. There is also a loading bay directly across the road still is there not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's incredibly bad form by SV.

You could even point out the gross hypocrisy of them asking people about 'what small changes' they can make for a more sustainable world, when their own drivers are pi$$ing all over those who choose to travel in a sustainable manner.

https://twitter.com/SuperValuIRL/status/1467433567114469382

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

Musgrave delivery truck will not fit in the 2 car loading bay across from Supervalu Ranelagh quite apart from the fact that loading bay usually occupied.

If you have ever used the Supervalu car park you will know the  trouble there is in getting  a turn in the very oddly shaped car park never mind negotiate the wall separating car park from residential lane if another car waiting to come out when you go in.  Agree with Labre, the council should have been more conscious of this.

This loading bay, that would quite clearly fit the trucl pictured, and a van too most likely?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.325609,-6.2551772,3a,75y,226.7h,64.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxjL4sEWB5QM8NG6yIX4fXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Supervalu have had a long time to address this themselves and find solutions, but nope, lets create an obstruction

I have parked in this loading bay at night on many an occasion waiting for son in Flyefit while watching the huge delivery trucks unload pallets outside SuperValu, trust me 2 cars is all that fits in this loading bay

Post edited by Trudee on

What solution do you think SuperValu should have arrived at short of drone delivery?

That’s an odd question as I did not mention exemption from law but I do know that I see a council not fully reconciling consequences of putting in cycle lane without provision for allowing deliveries to a supermarket that provides a service to a huge population and many of them elderly who don’t cycle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a dead end road literally 20m away they could have stopped down.

Google street view has 3-4 vans in it on one of the shots. it has a flat bed truck and a a truck in it too. Musgraves have a variety of different trucks. They most definitely have 50 or so, that would handily be arked in that loading bay with room to spare for a second nearly.

Would your Son not cycle from Flyefit, or can't he because of the massive obstruction

They did make provision for deliveries, they put in a loading bay. Unfortunately some private motorists think they can park there waiting for their kids

Ah here's the inane elderly people who don't cycle. hate wind, need to drive or they'll be completely isolated from all of society argument.

That cycle lane has been a mandatory one (as in vehicles can't stop in it) for at least 12 years. Likely a lot longer judging by the 2009 images of it and the big 24 hour sign in front of it. So Supervalu have had a long, long time to evaluate how to do this differently

• Advertisement

Yes cycle lane was in situ in Ranelagh but with time limits which were removed this year or late last year, up to then parking outside SuperValu could be done after 19pm but since 24hr cycle lane introduced no parking for trucks at any time therefore council should have worked to provide a compromise.

As to DaCor comment about private motorists parking in loading bay obviously doesn’t know that again loading bays have time restrictions therefore perfectly legal to park in loading bay after 19pm regardless of who they are waiting for or even if waiting for nobody.

As to comment about elderly people who don’t cycle - I have no idea why you think elderly people who don’t cycle are inane.

There was a 24 hour notice there in 2009 so it's not a new thing.

No the comment is inane as it's a lazy argument with very little basis

In fact, it's only been a supermarket for 14 years anyway, so they really should have solved that issue themselves either when converting from a pub to a superquinn or when musgraves took over

Cycle lane was not 24 hr in 2009 and it is very dismissive to suggest that the fact that there is an elderly cohort living around Ranelagh that need a supermarket within walking distance is a lazy argument

I’ve parked there and I take it you haven’t so I can categorically say a Musgraves truck will not fit in loading bay as it is now across from Supervalu Ranelagh.

Second question is bordering on snide.

And how does a delivery truck turn when it goes down a ‘dead end’

Sounds like the loading bay should be made 24 hr so, problem solved

APologies, I was going by google street view history and it said 2009, but didn't actually change image. It has been a mandatory cycle lane for at least that long, and it has been ignored for the hours of operation from the moment it became a supermarket.

But, the elderly argument is incredibly lazy. It's basically the same as Helen Lovejoy, somebody think of the children. There's elderly people everywhere. Elderly people are not all disabled, infirm, dementia addled, dependent people who need care. Hell I'd say our elderly people are a a hell of a lot more robust and capable of independent living than the people who harp on, but but but the elderly.

There are shops that can load goods without creating a traffic obstruction throughout the day and property damage.

Musgraves have different trucks. They should be using different trucks for some of their urban locations. Other supermarkets and retailers do this. The long double decker reefers as they are called, have absolutely no place in delivering to stores such as this one, and should be for depot deliveries. The smaller trucks such as the one pictured a page ago, and their refrigerated versions, should be used,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Has anyone communicated with Super Valu and / or the council over this damage to public property and illegal parking?

Advertisement