Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Whoever has been redesigning this junction over and over again for the last three years is clearly just not qualified for the job. Like, what the hell is that? Coming from the right and turning right towards Pearse Street looks like a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Because then you would have people walking in both directions on both sides of the path which is currently happening. Throw in a few dog walkers with head down on their phone and a couple of kamikaze kids on scooters and bikes whose parents cant be arsed to supervise them and you have mayhem. Why do you think that in some parks the enlightened council have painted "keep left" on the paths or even better Wicklow County Council painted on Bray promenade "Ah come on, keep left", brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Because some 'enlightened' councils have a windshield view and think that the left is the correct side to be, even when you're not in the car.

It's irresponsible, because the same people then continue to do the same on the roads, where you should walk on the right (with exceptions, as tomasrojo points out). The rule of thumb for the entire country of Ireland is to walk on the right, cycle and drive on the left. Why some councils feel the need to create pockets of exceptions for this is beyond me, unless someone thought "well I drive on the left on the road, so everyone should walk on the left on the path".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think ye maybe reading too much into what are essentially covid issues to try and have physical distancing. I certainly don't recall any markings on Bray Seafront pre-covid (except for no bikes).

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

But what have the elderly got to do with delivery drivers blocking and damaging a cycle lane? Why mention them at all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So I cycled alongside one of those Musgrave's delivery trucks today, it would fit in the ranelagh loading bay with room to spare for a car

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

I live in Ranelagh, I think there is space in the loading bay across from SuperValu to fit the existing size delivery truck they use - have a look at Google Streeview and you'll see a similar size truck illegally parked in the Bus Stop further down the road.

One of the Taxi Ranks at the Triangle should be repurposed into a Loading Bay for the village (if not both) but no matter what is done, delivery drivers will still park illegally including inside wands and cycle tracks because there are no implications for doing so, AGS do not give a fiddlers, SuperValu and other businesses don't care either - I'd urge anyone who cycles not to buy in Joy's Flowers as they consistently park on the footpath there even though there's a loading bay directly across from them that is often empty.

I've stopped shopping in SuperValu in Ranelagh because of this, I shop in Lidl instead, how come Lidl delivery drivers don't park like muppets? Never seen it happen once since Lidl opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lidl takes in its deliveries from its goods entrance to the side, off the Main Road on Westmoreland Park. Its not a reasonable comparison.

And the fact you would stop supporting a local Irish franchise just because trucks can't access a particularly tight and awkward urban carpark, is just churlish.

They can use the loading bay across the road. They don't. That's the point.

A truck blocking the cycle lane for a while is a hazard.

A delivery driver pushing pallets and bogeys full of produce across a busy main road for a while is a hazard.

Thats just life in an urban village, shaped 300 years ago.

• Advertisement

A truck blocking a mandatory lane is illegal. A truck destroying public property is illegal.

Keep ignoring the fact the supervalue is only there 10 years, 14 if we include the superquinn.

You're all about planning. They've never once applied to make any sort of amendment to how they can access. That's on them.

There's a crossing right there too. Not much of a hazard in comparison

We could also say buses around sandymount streets is life in an urban village.

Sure, if you like. But what has that got to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

And a truck blocking one directional general traffic lane for a while is a __________.

a) Crime against the hard pressed motorist Joe.

b) Further chipping away at Dublins unique character

c) Loony Leftie Green idea endangering EVERYONE

d) Part of life in an urban village

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Why can't SuperValu use Westmoreland Park then? It's an additional 50 metres from the shop, I know Ranelagh Avenue is usually too full but it's potentially another option.

You say "churlish" I say it's an appropriate solution when they don't listen to complaints. Also the mini-Irelander approach is nonsense, Lidl support Irish jobs and Irish businesses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Musgraves are a multiple, same as any other, and one of the biggest when you include the centra's too. I've zero issue supporting Lidl, who are renowned fair employer over supervalu (where the franchise owners can be hit and miss from what I hear anecdotally). Lidl in Ranelagh have solved the issue of deliveries for them. Supervalu ranelagh have done nothing that anyone can find to solve the issue of deliveries (assuming using smaller trucks and/ or wheeling a cage across a road is actually an issue in all but a car centric mindset).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Short-term set-down and delivery areas should be considered as part of any major road space reallocation system, as well as hybrid car-parking bays that double as additional loading bays before 10/11am, for example,

The above quote from the TUD study on Blackrock is quite telling.

While I would give credit to DLR for going the extra mile to find a balance in the schemes they have introduced, its clear that the DCC attitude to genuine and frequent conflict issues, such as this, is the 'it'll be grand' defence. That's just not good enough for any category of road user, or for customer facing businesses in the DCC area who are already in a very serious existensial crisis. Does it occur to no person in DCC that these businesses are their own primary funders, through commercial rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

How about turning the space outside the Emerald Court and Sound Hire (where buses currently pull into the bus stop) into a loading bay, and moving the bus stop a few metres further towards the Luas station and building the footpath out to the road at that point, so buses stop in the road rather than pulling in? There's a big chunk of space between the Emerald Court and the disabled parking space at the Luas station that looks like it could be used as a loading bay (from Street View it's clear that the Pulp shredding company has already anticipated this).

That could be said of the businesses too. There's been double yellows outside that shop in the article for at least 20 years. IT's never been legal to park outside and use as a loading bay, but ah yeah, sure it's grand. There's a very large and capable loading bay about 10 metres up that belongs and is operated by the ILAC centres for the various tenants there, one of which is Star Asia Foods.

They quite literally have one for them and it's not used, because ah sure it's grand, we used to be able to park illegally for years and years and was alright if we had the flashers on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Remember, you can park on double-yellows to unload for up to 20mins IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Well there is something new to me - I thought the exeption only covered breakdowns, roadworks, emergency etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

That exception applies only to section 38 though by my reading. It doesn’t over-ride section 36 ( double yellow lines).

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I think you may be looking at the wrong part, Section 5 (details below) seems to cover it.

5 Non-application of certain Prohibitions and Restrictions

5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

(2) Save where otherwise expressly provided in these Regulations, a prohibition on the entry of a vehicle to a road or an area or the prohibition on the stopping or parking of a vehicle imposed by these Regulations shall not apply to—

a ) a vehicle used in connection with the removal of an obstruction to traffic;

b ) a vehicle being used in connection with the carrying out of roadworks;

c ) a fire brigade, an ambulance, or a vehicle being used by a member of the Garda Síochána in performance of the duties of that member;

d ) a vehicle which has been damaged or has broken down, during the period necessary to effect repairs to the vehicle or remove it from the location;

e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was cycling out of Sandymount the other day and noticed it now says 50km/h instead of 30 as you enter the Strand Road from Ringsend, has this been changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Yes the correct 50 km/h default urban speed limit was restored on Strand Road / Beach Road recently.

The 30km/h was a temporary measure, a questionable one in my opinion, following a number of minor alterations that had been made to some junctions prior to works on the planned cycleway being injuncted by the High Court.

With that full judgment having been made last summer and no prospect of the appeal getting a hearing for at least another year, local reps forced the Council executive to give up the untenable position of trying to leave the inappropriate 30 limit in place, if for no other reason than it was unenforceable as a temporary road works speed limit, with no road works taking place.

I have no doubt the local Garda traffic inspector was glad to see the back of it too, for the headaches it created.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Only a matter of time before they limit entry into Sandymount to those who hold a Sandymount passport.

• Advertisement

The HGV ban is necessary and fair, but there won't be ramps on the R131, it's an important bus and emergency services route.

Advertisement