Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm wasting my breath with you lot. Injunction incoming from the combined local groups, try not to burst a blood vessel when it stops the trial before it starts eh? Nobody can say they weren't warned.

543026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Anyway, I'm wasting my breath with you lot. Injunction incoming from the combined local groups, try not to burst a blood vessel when it stops the trial before it starts eh? Nobody can say they weren't warned.

I mean most people weren't expecting the council to plough ahead, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed. I'd question how much High Court time €16.5K will buy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

loyatemu wrote: »
    I mean most people weren't expecting the council to plough ahead, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed. I'd question how much High Court time €16.5K will buy though.

It'll cover Day 1 of the legal fees. Are the locals prepared to be on the hook for the Council's legal costs when they (the locals) lose?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Injunction incoming from the combined local groups, try not to burst a blood vessel when it stops the trial before it starts eh? Nobody can say they weren't warned.
    From memory, you don't live in the area.
    Where are you getting your info on their plans?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Peregrine wrote: »
    It's been three weeks since the Sandymount opponents declared at the Lord Mayor's forum that they would submit a section 5 referral to An Bord Pleanála. Or rather that they instructed their professional advisors to do so. Does anyone have any idea what happened? I can't find it on the weekly new cases list for any of the past three weeks.
    One month after the opponents said they were submitting a section 5 referral to An Bord Pleanála and demanded that DCC halt any works in the meantime despite no requirement to do so, as of the 5th of February, they have not submitted a section 5 referral to ABP.

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2021/new/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Brian? wrote: »
    People drive for all manner of reasons. It rarely makes it right.

what ? Driving of any sort is now wrong ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Some more new info today (at least I think it's new). NTA funding allocated to permanent route:
    More than €240 million has been allocated for cycling and walking projects around the State, almost half of which will be spent in Dublin.

The College Green Plaza, the Liffey cycle route, and a permanent cycle path along Dublin Bay through Sandymount, are among the schemes which will secure the National Transport Authority (NTA) funding.

Whilst it's great that there is decent investment in infrastructure for active travel, it is a pity that it is not subject to any basic standards so looking at the list of projects by county on the NTA site, I'd say that therell be a fair bit of crap being developed :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1359887998050054146

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes, lots of good stuff in there but there will be some amount of crap too. Shared spaces, painted lanes, lack of connectivity etc. I'm expecting it to be better than the last one though. The last one gave millions to resurface roads and then repaint the cycle lane. Local authorities weren't ready for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Your comment about the current access to seafront at Strand Road leaving people "in fear of their lives" is pathetic.

How many families with small children do you see cycling along Strand Road? And how many do you see if you look at the CMR in DLR? Once it's safe, less able people will use it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

p15574 wrote: »
    How many families with small children do you see cycling along Strand Road? And how many do you see if you look at the CMR in DLR? Once it's safe, less able people will use it a lot.

That's exactly what he's afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Vote for me & I will reverse it at the next election

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Great reply. :D But there's no chance anyone will get two flat whites for a fiver in Sandymount.

Irish Cycle have published a video of DCC (SE Area) councillors discussing the new trial on their webpage @ https://irishcycle.com/2021/02/15/watch-strand-road-trial-disused-by-south-east-area-councillors-on-february-8/
    Some of the comments from those opposing it are bizarre ("see you in court"), whilst their concern over an Irish Rail safety audit comes across as pathetic

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1361324936917311493

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Irish Cycle have published a video of DCC (SE Area) councillors discussing the new trial on their webpage @ https://irishcycle.com/2021/02/15/watch-strand-road-trial-disused-by-south-east-area-councillors-on-february-8/
    Some of the comments from those opposing it are bizarre ("see you in court"), whilst their concern over an Irish Rail safety audit comes across as pathetic

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1361324936917311493

Ah the predictable two that I picked before I watched that. Dermot "I'm a cyclist myself and don't oppose cycling infrastructure except all the infrastructure being proposed" Lacey and Mannix "No to absolutely everything that might improve Dublin City" Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A fairly instructive video clip. Another demonstration of the holes in both the process and design of this entire mess. They haven't nailed down what the revised traffic arrangement at Merrion Gates will be or even what will be acceptable to Irish Rail in that regard. I mean Jesus wept.

Its good to hear the local Councillors standing behind their constituents and the clear majority view locally. As Cllr Lacey says, it is a very dark day for the elected representatives in local government that they can simply be ignored if it doesn't suit the agenda of the unelected bureaucracy. As I've said before here, if the same flagrant sidestepping of planning law was being utilised to undo existing cycling measures somewhere in the City, you guys would be strapping yourselves to bulldozers someplace, so be very careful about accepting precedents that meet your needs now yet may be used to sideline you in the future.

Noteworthy too that Hazel Chu states she agrees that the opinion of those that will be most impacted locally should be weighted in any consultation, yet she stands over the works being rammed through without that having been the case.

The 'see you in Court' comment, is just a matter of fact. The legal fund is just a few hundred quid off its €20,000 objective and I'm aware that the preparation of various legal interventions is well under way. I would suggest staying tuned to the Community Forum meeting this Friday in that regard.

It sounds like Mr O'Brien of the Council executive gets more than a little shirty when he's called out on the deficiencies of this whole mess, as if he somehow expected to have a free hand here and sidestep due process for public works, in his pandemic Trojan Horse. For certain the incompetence of the Council in this matter will be forensically analysed in the forthcoming legal actions and its a good thing for the wider City and the future of public works involving tax payers money that this should be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Noteworthy too that Hazel Chu states she agrees that the opinion of those that will be most impacted locally should be weighted in any consultation, yet she stands over the works being rammed through without that having been the case.

Great thing the the Irish constitution see everybody as equals.
    Locals own it rent the property. That is all.

I’d hazard a guess and say there’s slot more stakeholders who us the roads as opposed locals. The majority of the vocal locals look like they are reaching he stage where they don’t be driving.
    Look at the acre profile of the committee. : https://samra.ie/notification-of-samras-annual-general-meeting/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d hazard a guess and say there’s slot more stakeholders who us the roads as opposed locals. The majority of the vocal locals look like they are reaching he stage where they don’t be driving.
    Look at the acre profile of the committee. : https://samra.ie/notification-of-samras-annual-general-meeting/

You're underestimating the entitlement Ted. When Sandycove was made one way, there were complaints that someone won't be able to bring the granny out for her "scenic drive" in the direction she's used to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to join SAMRA and raise a motion that the committee would be better advised to spend the funds they've raised to buy e-scooters for themselves so they don't get stuck in traffic in their X5s.

i'm going to join SAMRA and raise a motion that the committee would be better advised to spend the funds they've raised to buy e-scooters for themselves so they don't get stuck in traffic in their X5s.

You could do that, but SAMRA didn't raise the money and don't have control of the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

ted1 wrote: »

I'd never come across SAMRA's site before... they have an interesting, I guess it's a mission statement?
    Dublin Bay is a unique environment, on the doorstep of Ireland’s capital city and MUST be protected from these threats for our future generations.

To enable us to protect and preserve Sandymount Environs, Heritage for ourselves and our children.

One of their recent posts is a letter to Eamon Ryan as Minister for Transport asking for an off-road cycle track - i.e. build it in Dublin Bay. So much for that mission statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

strandroad wrote: »
    You're underestimating the entitlement Ted. When Sandycove was made one way, there were complaints that someone won't be able to bring the granny out for her "scenic drive" in the direction she's used to.

Oh God yeah, whoever that woman was blocked me on Twitter for challenging her on that one. It was something along the lines of my mother loves the view when I drive her along the coast and we'll only be able to do it the other way around now due to one way.
    This is what you're up against.

Oh God yeah, whoever that woman was blocked me on Twitter for challenging her on that one. It was something along the lines of my mother loves the view when I drive her along the coast and we'll only be able to do it the other way around now due to one way.
    This is what you're up against.
    But most importantly, was she pro-cycling despite that?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

But most importantly, was she pro-cycling despite that?

Probably an avid one.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Ah the predictable two that I picked before I watched that. Dermot "I'm a cyclist myself and don't oppose cycling infrastructure except all the infrastructure being proposed" Lacey and Mannix "No to absolutely everything that might improve Dublin City" Flynn.
    One thing I meant to add yesterday was how surprised I was to hear Cllr Lacey describe how he broke the law and cycled the length of the path two Sunday's ago. Surely he should know better!

One thing I meant to add yesterday was how surprised I was to hear Cllr Lacey describe how he broke the law and cycled the length of the path two Sunday's ago. Surely he should know better!

Surely every adult cyclist in christendom should know better than to break red traffic lights, but theres no sign of that catching on.

If you're struggling to play the ball and have to target the man, it ends up looking a bit pathetic.

• Advertisement

Surely every adult cyclist in christendom should know better than to break red traffic lights, but theres no sign of that catching on.

If you're struggling to play the ball and have to target the man, it ends up looking a bit pathetic.
    Why do you think I'm struggling?
    He proudly said it and he is wrong for having done it!

While you're on, maybe you'll provide me with a response to my previously unanswered question about how do you know the details of the plans of the group when you're not a resident there?

Advertisement