Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options
1117118119120121123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

A couple of months late responding, but I understand it is intended that the site adjoining the laneway will be developed in the not too distant future. I assume any issues re the widening of the laneway will be addressed at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Yes, looks good. Just a shame they cant extend it up to Sandymount.

I know thats DCC and there are objections in Sandymount. But that really should be the start of the Dublin Bay south route.

It is a lovely cycle on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Will the residents come out to protest, with their massive "Save our Parking" signs? Is it too late for them to ask for the one-way system they previously rejected to be reconsidered, it's going to be one-way for 6 months anyway.

There's a lesson here for future objectors elsewhere, don't assume the status quo is a possible outcome. Councils are obliged to facilitate and improve active travel, they're not necessarily going to just shrug and say "well the residents object, so we won't build anything here".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Absolutely. Progress doesn't hold up well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I wonder was it gridlock on pottery road this morning?

I think Monday's are quiet enough still, tomorrow will be the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not that I noticed at 8.30 ish. I went that way and on to Stradbrook Road rather than through Clonkeen Park (given the closure) this morning. Quite impressed with the Pottery Road cycle path to be honest, although a couple of bad potholes on Stradbrook Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭knockoutned

Does anyone know is there any plans on continuing the two way cycle lane on the rock road to the Merrion gates or further in towards town?

It stops at the county boundary, so the rest of it is Dublin City Council territory and I believe it's tied up with the Strand Road plans that are currently with the High Court. Merrion Gates into Ballsbridge is part of BusConnects, so there are plans, but it won't be built anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Same as normal. I live right by there and the traffic was backed up to Clonkeen Crescent which is par for the course with rush hour and school drops. Always a pleasure to cycle past 😁

Kill Lane was more blocked up than normal going home through Clonskeagh. Johnstown Road was fine when I was crossing from park to park.

I'm sure a wet day like today will be very bad (always is), particularly as these changes always take a few weeks to bed/ people forget they've even happened until they get there.

Assuming the bit they've coned off is going to be the two way cycle track, still time for the residents to save their parking by backing the original plan...

It is a pity it doesn't carry on too the Merrion Gates though, pending that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

S**t getting real now. Traffic backing up past lidl most mornings as drivers start to explore alternative routes.

For all the crap Strand Rd caused, we've a lot to be thankful for as regards the legal challenges, specifically, they allowed for legislation to be drafted/ammended to allow these types of developments to go ahead without issue into the future.

Another such update is coming from the Dept of Transport which aims to "firm up and clarify the legal powers that local authorities can use to quickly implement cycling and bus priority measures using Section 38 of the Road Traffic Act."

Also clarifies the situation in regards to consultation, planning applications, environmental surveys etc etc

This is a good thing as it will allow more schemes to progress faster without threat of legal challenge in the future

Thanks Mannix 👍️

Deansgrange cycle path is now open, though there's still a bit of work to tie it into the junction at Deansgrange village. The tie-in at the other end is part of a different project. They've gone with the counter-intuitive "cycle on the right" arrangement which I hate.

Having one section of two-way lane in between sections of either-side lane isn't ideal - I used this route during the week and crossing over to the new lane and back over again at the end (when heading south) is a pain, but it does mean not getting caught in the traffic coming into Deansgrange.

On the right kinda makes sense if you're following the route that brings you out at Springhill Ave. Definitely much better than trying to get through the traffic in the evening. However, been blocked a couple of times this week during the morning school commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

I think I've just converted to Pottery Rd full time. It's easier.

On the way in in the mornings, I generally go up Kill Lane after coming out of the park then left onto Abbey Rd→Stradbrook Rd. It's just easier that trying to navigate the crossroads at Deansgrange.

I think Deansgrange will be alright once they finish the works at the crossing. More lights on the Kill Lane option.

I came home the N11 yesterday - first time on that section of the Dodder Greenway - handy to get past Donnybrook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

So the solution to allowing southbound cyclists on the new right-side-only bidirectional cycle path on Deansgrange Road to continue south (or go left) across the Deansgrange crossroads junction is to just stick up a set of cycle crossing lights that differ from the existing pedestrian lights only by remaining lit a little longer. As far as I can tell, everything else is the same - if pedestrian or cycle crossing button is pressed, they both go green together after southbound main carriageway (motor traffic) gets red. Cyclists are presumably meant to wait until pedestrians crossing the south (or east) side of the junction have dissipated - maybe that's the reason for the extra few seconds on the bike green? Or dismount to cross - which was what I often did before the cycle lane anyway.

I'll certainly be continuing to just cross back from the cycle lane to the main carriageway before the junction if its light is green and traffic both ways is light enough to do so safely. Or maybe it would be better to just not bother crossing into the cycle lane in the first place.

Oh, and kudos to the driver of the council vehicle blocking most of the cycle lane while waiting to exit the cemetary a few weeks ago who refused to move back, making me squeeze by an inch from their bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Oh, and kudos to the driver of the council vehicle blocking most of the cycle lane while waiting to exit the cemetery a few weeks ago who refused to move back, making me squeeze by an inch from their bumper.

In such situations I find that stopping with half the bike in THEIR lane in front of THEIR vehicle for a minute or two can be remarkably effective in persuading them to move back.

So why the extra time on the bike green vs. pedestrian, then? Maybe right-turning southbound cyclists (who I hadn't thought about before, despite being one there occasionally) are supposed to cross east and south between the new markings, before continuing west? But there's no bike lights for the last bit, anyway. Maybe they're supposed to wait for the main carriageway east-bound green? But then why the extra time? And is anyone, cyclist or pedestrian, who wants to cross 2 legs really going to avoid just going diagonally across the junction?

In my experience, people just go diagonally - really no need for separate cycle lights - they should be just flashing amber ones. Shared paths seem perfectly acceptable to the authorities, so shared lights should be equally acceptable imo.

Advertisement