Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

1118119120121122124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I plaster myself and my bike (separately) against the outer wall to let people pass; occasionally get a "Thanks".

The one time I walked my bike past a collection of walkers who had been letting other cyclists pass, having initially done the plastering, but being expected to proceed, I got a "There's a cycle lane on the road above" from an entitled walker. Yeah, there's a footpath up there too. Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Google maps directed me down there one day, never again. I wouldn't have gone that way if I'd known

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Any time I use it I stop to let pedestrians coming towards me pass and never try to pass those going the same way. It's a pain but I've never gotten any abuse. Roll on the planned route through the garden of Deepwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you take up more space walking beside the bike, anytime I've used that path I've stayed on the bike and just stopped and leaned against the wall to allow pedestrians past. But I never use it anymore, it's too much hassle, roll on the new path.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭cgcsb

All that's missing is a sandymount road cycle route and a new bridge to connect ringsend to the city centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the new cycling bridge beside the EastLink is due around 2030, though the new Dublin port bridge might get built quicker as they've just put in for planning. As for Strand Road, god knows (is it still mired in the courts?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure that's all that's missing - if you're going in straight into town along the Merrion Road, there's still a good few pinch points to be dealt with. Ballsbridge and Mount Street Bridge always messy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I use it all the time, meet loads of pedestrians and cyclists, everyone on a bike slows and leans against the wall. Never heard anyone giving or getting abuse. I can imagine it happens but presumably either from a cyclist where the pedestrian makes no attempt to go to one side or from the pedestrian if the cyclist doesn't stop but a few times a week at busy times and I've never seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I see work on linking the Dodder Greenway will start tomorrow on Butterfield Avenue. Glad to see this happening at last.

Advertisement