Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Peregrine wrote: »
    Local naysayer councillor Mannix Flynn and Fianna Fáil anti-abortion activist Peter Carvill.
    Think this is more part of his anti-cycling activities than his local activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

It’s just a publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't wish to have any negative emotions in my body and mind but I really hate Mannix Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I don't wish to have any negative emotions in my body and mind but I really hate Mannix Flynn

To be fair (and it's very ****ing hard to be fair where Mannix is involved), there is no one in this project covering themselves in glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

brucky wrote: »
    It’s just a publicity stunt.

I can assure you, it very much is not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'd be easier to convince people of that were it not being spearheaded by two well known contrarians.

Naturally it will generate publicity, but its no stunt. The only people this is aimed at convincing, is a judge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mannix Flynn is a counsellor for an entirely different part of Dublin though is he not? He opposes any and all cycling infrastructure. His is hardly any ringing endorsement.

He's not a man who has ever let evidence get in the way of a good argument, so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Weepsie wrote: »
    Mannix Flynn is a counsellor for an entirely different part of Dublin though is he not? He opposes any and all cycling infrastructure. His is hardly any ringing endorsement.

Correct, he's a ward over.
    He's not a man who has ever let evidence get in the way of a good argument, so you know.

He's a convicted arsonist. That being said, a very nice man in person. But prolifically anti-cyclist for no apparent reason other than the fact that there's votes in opposing any change whatsoever - particularly with regards to parking.

He won 8% of first preferences and took the last seat in his ward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Dublin_City_Council_election#South_East_Inner_City

In fairness opposing cycling infrastructure would win you favour with possibly the majority of your constituents, so I see why he does it.

• Advertisement

Mannix Flynn is a counsellor for an entirely different part of Dublin though is he not?

He seemed to hate the Bernard Shaw when it was on Richmond Street about as much as he hates the Sandyford trial.

His website, mannixflynn.com, has this under his "Committed to" section:
    Greater cycling infrastructure

I honestly can't think of a single cycling project in the Dublin City Council area that he has supported. Probably easier to list ones he hasn't opposed.

In fairness opposing cycling infrastructure would win you favour with possibly the majority of your constituents, so I see why he does it.

Not necessarily. The opponents seem to be a vocal minority in most communities. It probably varies a bit though.

I think he genuinely hates "the type of people" he perceives to be cyclists. It would explain his weird statements better than him trying to curry favour with the electorate.

It would be interesting to really carry out this summary:
    https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1362411425113776135

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He seemed to hate the Bernard Shaw when it was on Richmond Street about as much as he hates the Sandyford trial.
    What on earth did the Bernard Shaw do to him? I loved that place! Then again, I’m a cyclist, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I wonder is it the same Catriona O'Sullivan. Maybe somebody objected to her own planning application to DCC back in the day and she's exacting revenge now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

He's a councillor for South East Inner City. Most of the route is in the Pembroke ward but Beach Road on the border. The plans were presented to the joint South East Area Committee.

He has opposed cycling projects, pedestrian plazas, bus lanes, a metro, homeless hostels, parking enforcement. The list is endless. His default position on everything is 'No'.

I once asked a journalist why they keep adding quotes from Mannix Flynn in their articles. They said "When I can't find anyone else on the opposite side of something, I go to Mannix. He's guaranteed to oppose it."

He was trying to defend parking on footpaths last time he was on Pat Kenny. The sad thing is I have friends like him that drive me nuts. One mate was giving out about this Sandymount thing because it's a nice drive he said, he lives in Donabate ffs.
    So there's definitely a market for our Mannix.

He was trying to defend parking on footpaths last time he was on Pat Kenny. The sad thing is I have friends like him that drive me nuts. One mate was giving out about this Sandymount thing because it's a nice drive he said, he lives in Donabate ffs.
    So there's definitely a market for our Mannix.

The day that the council took down the barriers to the Causeway on Bull Island, on what was a gloriously sunny day, I went down for a run and noticed many people just sitting in their cars doing nothing. They hadn't been able to park down there for weeks but just had to rush back down on Day 1. Irish people and cars, its an obsession.

Its a pity that barrier wasn't put back up for the latest Level 5, great initiative.

It's supposed to be a nature reserve and it's like tailgating at a Nascar event when the sun comes out.
    If they had any balls they'd ban cars altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The day that the council took down the barriers to the Causeway on Bull Island, on what was a gloriously sunny day, I went down for a run and noticed many people just sitting in their cars doing nothing. They hadn't been able to park down there for weeks but just had to rush back down on Day 1. Irish people and cars, its an obsession.

Same thing happened when they blocked some parking spaces on Vico Road. A wave of complaints on local social media ensued, when pointed out that locals can easily walk there or drop someone off for a walk many replies were along the lines "but I like the view from my parked car". How do you even argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its a pity that barrier wasn't put back up for the latest Level 5, great initiative.

In fairness, plenty of kitesurfers, windsurfers etc use dollymount and the gear simply isn’t able to be carried by bike. That’s one thing I didn’t support

strandroad wrote: »
    Same thing happened when they blocked some parking spaces on Vico Road. A wave of complaints on local social media ensued, when pointed out that locals can easily walk there or drop someone off for a walk many replies were along the lines "but I like the view from my parked car". How do you even argue with that.

Same thing again across the wooden bridge at Bull Island. People sitting inside their car reading the paper on a fine day.

2 of the best days of the year down there are when the Clontarf half marathon is on and they close the bridge to traffic. Also enjoyable on a sunny summer day watching cars take althe guts of an hour to exit the island because traffic is so heavy :D

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness, plenty of kitesurfers, windsurfers etc use dollymount and the gear simply isn’t able to be carried by bike. That’s one thing I didn’t support

Strictly speaking you can carry windsurfing equipment by bike. I knew someone in the Netherlands who had a special trailer. But I'm just being pedantic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

strandroad wrote: »
    many replies were along the lines "but I like the view from my parked car". How do you even argue with that.
    this is a city where a planned raising of a wall designed partially as a flood defence didn't proceed, partly because of complaints from people that it'd ruin the view from cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Peregrine wrote: »
    He's a councillor for South East Inner City. Most of the route is in the Pembroke ward but Beach Road on the border. The plans were presented to the joint South East Area Committee.

He has opposed cycling projects, pedestrian plazas, bus lanes, a metro, homeless hostels, parking enforcement. The list is endless. His default position on everything is 'No'.

I once asked a journalist why they keep adding quotes from Mannix Flynn in their articles. They said "When I can't find anyone else on the opposite side of something, I go to Mannix. He's guaranteed to oppose it."

Some would call him a Mannix Street Preacher

he's certainly pro for cycle emptiness.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Strictly speaking you can carry windsurfing equipment by bike. I knew someone in the Netherlands who had a special trailer. But I'm just being pedantic.

Not a Windy day, when you need it. Believe me I have tried it. !!! And over several kilometres. The Netherlands is very flat. No hills that contend with and safe segregated routes.

ted1 wrote: »
    Not a Windy day, when you need it. Believe me I have tried it. !!! And over several kilometres. The Netherlands is very flat. No hills that contend with and safe segregated routes.

How about we let you in with your windsurf and ban the rest of cars?
    No but they're all nuts driving there on a sunny day. I drove down there a few Sundays ago when I knew it would be mayhem, just parked in some random street in Clontarf and walked down. Of course the bridge was bedlam with cars. And half of them just park and sit there.
    Which is fine and all but just by being there you're kind of making the experience worse for everyone else if you're just parking up your car half on the pavement.

€1,990 has been donated to the opposition legal fund since the announcement of the court action this morning.

Donations have been suspended at €21,345.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    €1,990 has been donated to the opposition legal fund since the announcement of the court action this morning.

Donations have been suspended at €21,345.

Is this for the challenge that was lodged today?
    Who or what entity is it going to ?

Advertisement