Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

PaulieC wrote: »
    This happened on Monday night after some preliminary work was done at the roundabout on beach road 😂

Yeah no surprises there. Any local social media will have the foaming at the mouth types whenever cycling is mentioned, most seem to be in the 50-60 yo bracket, when has this generation lost the use of their legs? Cars for everyone were far from standard in the 80s when they were kids, where does this obsession come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

strandroad wrote: »
    Yeah no surprises there. Any local social media will have the foaming at the mouth types whenever cycling is mentioned, most seem to be in the 50-60 yo bracket, when has this generation lost the use of their legs? Cars for everyone were far from standard in the 80s when they were kids, where does this obsession come from?

It's their hard won right. And by hard won, I mean not hard won.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    At one point friend, I worked on the redesignation of national and regional routes when the motorway network was developed. I'd suggest its yourself who hasn't a clue.

With the exception of short sections of the N11 and N31, the highest designation of arterial route within the M50 now is Regional. Regional routes *ARE* major routes.
    Was the R131 designated as such to include traffic from Dun Laoighre Harbour which no longer as commercial operations

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »
    Was the R131 designated as such to include traffic from Dun Laoighre Harbour which no longer as commercial operations

No I don't recall there being any connection between the two.

The last review of Regional routes was around 2011, DL was long past being a serious commercial port by then and in any case, port traffic from DL is directed to the M50 and N11.

The R131, which includes Strand Road, is defined as junction with R132 Drumcondra Road at Clonliffe, via the East Link to junction with R118 Merrion Road at Merrion Gates. Its an important arterial route in itself, but not tied to the fortunes of Dun Laoghaire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This happened on Monday night after some preliminary work was done at the roundabout on beach road ��
    are they removing it? hopefully they are.
    i was always amused by this nearby - 'no parking allowed here, this private business owner has laid claim to public parking for his own ends'.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3344526,-6.2134017,3a,37.5y,153.99h,78.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slWz1qXUaRtKPMOESO-BAvQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i was always amused by this nearby - 'no parking allowed here, this private business owner has laid claim to public parking for his own ends'.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3344526,-6.2134017,3a,37.5y,153.99h,78.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slWz1qXUaRtKPMOESO-BAvQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

he is my mechanic, hands off bud!!! :D the sign is mainly just so someone doesnt park in front of the garage which is fair enough , if it was just a householder's garage you would probably see a notice to that effect

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Hard to tell from the fairly basic design drawings, but do we know if all the on street parking will be removed from there as a consequence of the new southbound traffic lane? Could be the end of your mechanic if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Could be the end of your mechanic if so.

Hopefully! Less mechanics, less cars. Win win!

Hopefully! Less mechanics, less cars. Win win!

I could be wrong,but I don't think demand for cars is based on the availability of mechanics

It's patched up but still readable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

I care deeply about that area.

And, you're wrong, it's scrapped.

It's not scrapped. Its gotten permission again on Jan 13 this year. article on Irish times about it. I cant post links, a wee google wouldn't go amiss

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hard to tell from the fairly basic design drawings, but do we know if all the on street parking will be removed from there as a consequence of the new southbound traffic lane? Could be the end of your mechanic if so.

There is no on-street parking on this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In fairness you can’t block an exit...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many of the cars parked there are ones he's working on, i wonder?

Peregrine wrote: »

If you take a look at magicbastarder's post above, that links to a google street view, you'll see thats an incorrect statement.

Yes, the section by the mechanic's place shows parking against a continuous white line in part, but those cars adjacent to the broken white line are parked absolutely legally.

Those homeowners should know if they will lose that parking option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Huh? - There are loads of cars parked on various sections of the road (and footpath) between St Johns Road (Martello tower) and Leahys Terrace (the National School).

maybe (s)he meant there's none in the plan?

Well thats another massive problem with the plan if that proves to be the case.

Ok, that makes more sense
    However, this means that there will be hell to pay, as there are loads of sections where there are no driveways - DCC have allowed this issue to fester, as there are loads of areas with double-yellows, but they magically disappear in other places, and cars are allowed to park on the footpath seemingly without any risk of being clamped:

https://goo.gl/maps/cnNyr2dCs2chn1LS6

• Advertisement

huh, great minds...

huh, great minds...

Indeed :)

If you take a look at magicbastarder's post above, that links to a google street view, you'll see thats an incorrect statement.

Yes, the section by the mechanic's place shows parking against a continuous white line in part, but those cars adjacent to the broken white line are parked absolutely legally.

I suppose it's semantics. They're parked on the side of the road but they're not designated as on-street parking spaces. DCC intentionally didn't designate them as parking spaces to avoid people claiming their parking was removed in the future (but not now). Generally a parking space for residents permit parking or pay & display is what's considered on-street parking.

Most of the cars parked on the side of the Beach Road are legally parked but the vast majority on Strand Road are illegally parked.
    Those homeowners should know if they will lose that parking option.
    They won't. There won't be parking spaces marked in but there will still be enough width to park a car at the vast majority of places where there was before. All the illegal parking will continue to be illegal and will likely be ignored. Effectively, not much change.

They're parked on the side of the road but they're not designated as on-street parking spaces. DCC intentionally didn't designate them as parking spaces to avoid people claiming their parking was removed in the future (but not now). Generally a parking space for residents permit parking or pay & display is what's considered on-street parking.

All of this is nonsense.

All of this is nonsense.

Dearie me. I hope, for their sake, that this is not the strongest part of their complaint
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0221/1198466-cycle-lane-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Dearie me. I hope, for their sake, that this is not the strongest part of their complaint

Maybe they have a point. We might have to restrict both lanes to walking and cycling then :)

All of this is nonsense.

You left out the part where I said it was largely semantics. DCC refers to it as "informal parking". Needless to say, I don't consider every carriageway with a broken white line and no double yellows to be on-street parking. It's problematic because when I extend that definition, it would mean if cycle lanes were introduced on a road like this then it could be claimed that on-street parking was removed. Or that this road with a broken white line and an advisory cycle lane has on-street parking because it's completely legal to park on it just like Strand Road.

I'm not saying it's illegal but I don't buy that definition. I'll freely admit that I didn't realise others did. Since there's no legal definition of on-street parking and I did say it was largely semantics, I'm not really sure what we're going to argue about here.

The issue was whether there would be changes to parking (on-street, informal, whatever) on Strand Road/Beach Road and the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

How is that relevant?

It’s very relevant. That road should be a regional road and should not be used as a national route. It is heavily used by vehicles that should be using national routes and motorways. I’d be quite certain that there are many regional roads where there is no alternative and so there is little option than to have an overly busy regional road. You seem to want Strand road to be a national road for some weird reason.

So what is your skin in the game? You come across like you are directly involved in the high court action.

So what is your skin in the game? You come across like you are directly involved in the high court action.

No, I'm not. In fact only two people are directly involved in the Court action, excluding legal team.

I've given a few informal pointers to friends who live in the area, but no more than that, no paid work or formal advice.

I read that latest news report, I knew the application to An BP was due, but that argument about the social distancing is daft, I would never have raised it and in PR terms it undermines the substantive issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Jesus, they're really grasping at straws now. Are they suggesting that all roads in the country should now be shut down to extend each path into the middle to allow for proper social distancing?

Advertisement