Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A week ago folks were on here, 'wheres all the court action, wheres all the Bord Pleanála appeals, you're spoofing!'

Show me how things aren't playing out over this "trial" more or less exactly how I said they would.

I haven't the time to quote that many posts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I haven't been following this that closely, but even I can come up with this one:
    I'm hearing from sources that the Govt are going to step in and cancel the proposed Dublin City Council cycle lane "trial" on Strand Road, Sandymount.

The proposal to start the trial in January is in direct conflict with the emergency Dublin Port Traffic Management Plan, published last week to deal with anticipated widespread congestion at the Port and in the wider City area due to Brexit delays to cargo vehicles. That plan requires the R131 Strand Road to be fully open in both directions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll take some hope from the fact that resident crank, and main objector Peter Carvill, spent ages trying to belittle people who wanted to repeal the 8th when that was on the agenda, and stated many peoples jobs were untenable once it became apparent it was untenable.

I can only assume, he's a cantankerous nimby who opposes any sort of change.

Is Mannix Flynn's writing any good? I mainly know him from being an übergrouch and anti-cycling obsessive but he does have a parallel career in literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't imagine it being very good if he is as narrow minded as he continually proves to be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'll take some hope from the fact that resident crank, and main objector Peter Carvill, spent ages trying to belittle people who wanted to repeal the 8th when that was on the agenda, and stated many peoples jobs were untenable once it became apparent it was untenable.

I can only assume, he's a cantankerous nimby who opposes any sort of change.

I had assumed that Mannix and Carvill were separate to the STC group who raised all the money but the Irish Times are reporting that Carvill is representing STC. So maybe this is the the court case they fundraised for after all.

I don't know why, I thought they would want a better image than a councillor from another ward known for being a contrarian and someone whose last appearance in the media consisted of a dozen letters belittling a popular movement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In fact I'd expect big pressure on Owen Keegan's position in the aftermath.
    the man who is - so far - successfully pushing through a whitewater rafting facility in the city centre, is endangering his job with a cycle path?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Is Mannix Flynn's writing any good? I mainly know him from being an übergrouch and anti-cycling obsessive but he does have a parallel career in literature.

Flynn is a member of Aosdana, which carries with it a stipend of around 11,000 euro per annum. Somebody must think he's some good.

I can't imagine it being very good if he is as narrow minded as he continually proves to be

Yeah, his career as a councillor appears to be mostly getting in front of cameras and condemning things, and he seems to enjoy fighting with people more than can possibly be useful. He has had a hard life though, and some contrarians put in good work in the arts, so just wondered whether he managed to not be tedious in the other endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

the man who is - so far - successfully pushing through a whitewater rafting facility in the city centre, is endangering his job with a cycle path?

No, not in isolation. I would say the biggest pressure on him is over housing delivery. The whitewater thing is an irrelevance.

In terms of the Covid mobility measures though, the Council really have made a rod for their own back by pushing on bald-headed with Strand Road, because the case now taken affects not just Strand Road, but all of the other temporary cycle and walking measures in Dublin and across the Country. If the Court or the Board finds that there is no statutory basis for them, they may all have to be removed and that would be a pity for the schemes that have improved local areas appropriately and proportionately.

• Advertisement

Least appealing characteristic:Can lose his sense of humour and become hectoring and relentless.

This is from a profile of him published 13 years ago. The profile is mostly sympathetic and discusses his troubled early life. I understand (well I don't, I never could, like few could), rather I sympathise with the crap he went through and why it has made him the person he is, but this anti cycling thing is to me just a 100% anything that the people in power want to do, I'm against.

It's like he thinks it's a middle and upper class war on the working class (the working class who would have benefitted most from cycling at large parts through history)

He's also had a few fights with Aosdana and made some factually incorrect accusations that he had to row back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Don't know his writing , but he is an excellent actor/speaker

No, not in isolation. I would say the biggest pressure on him is over housing delivery. The whitewater thing is an irrelevance.

In terms of the Covid mobility measures though, the Council really have made a rod for their own back by pushing on bald-headed with Strand Road, because the case now taken affects not just Strand Road, but all of the other temporary cycle and walking measures in Dublin and across the Country. If the Court or the Board finds that there is no statutory basis for them, they may all have to be removed and that would be a pity for the schemes that have improved local areas appropriately and proportionately.

Shame the residents of Sandymount don't want to see the results of a trial to see how it may in fact improve the area.

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is from a profile of him published 13 years ago.

Hectoring and relentless is very much my perception of his activities as a councillor. I've never got the impression he's very well suited to the role, but he does keep getting elected.

Interesting about the artistic side of him though.

I know someone here drew attention to it a few days ago, but its worth mentioning again. There's this huge reverse snobbery bias on social media and less so here, that the local opposition to the cycleway comes from inconvenienced locals among the leafy avenues of Sandymount.

But the opposition in Ringsend and Irishtown is just as strong if not stronger. I hear talk of barricades and physical obstruction of the works if the Court does not stay the scheme for the duration of the reviews.

I'm not saying I agree with interfering with contractors just doing a paid job, especially during Covid restrictions, but the extent of the ill feeling about it should be understood.

Yep, no doubt about that, the taxi drivers and white van men of Ringsend etc are hating this news, I've seen it on Facebook. Not just the poshos of Sandymount.

I hear talk of barricades and physical obstruction of the works if the Court does not stay the scheme for the duration of the reviews.

Government sources? I remember you're well in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I know someone here drew attention to it a few days ago, but its worth mentioning again. There's this huge reverse snobbery bias on social media and less so here, that the local opposition to the cycleway comes from inconvenienced locals among the leafy avenues of Sandymount.

But the opposition in Ringsend and Irishtown is just as strong if not stronger. I hear talk of barricades and physical obstruction of the works if the Court does not stay the scheme for the duration of the reviews.

I'm not saying I agree with interfering with contractors just doing a paid job, especially during Covid restrictions, but the extent of the ill feeling about it should be understood.

Well that's not very democratic and it goes against the majority who responded to the consultations

Government sources? I remember you're well in there.

No, my Govt sources are a bit busy trying to get their head out their arse the last few days. I heard it from someone involved in the combined residents associations group.

Coincidentally, this just turned up on my timeline.
    https://twitter.com/francis_rojo_/status/1364273279490543617

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 CHESSMUTANT

Imagine going to the High Court because bicycles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Imagine going to the High Court because bicycles.
    They're not. They're going because of cars!

Mamma mia.

The bus routes already diverted down Park Avenue were causing chaos today I hear also. Completely unsuitable route for buses.

Can't be any worse than St John's road, buses can barely get down that road with the parked cars on either side

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they could make the road flip direction for motor traffic based on time of day.
    what would port traffic be like? i.e. would it follow normal rush hour traffic patterns?
    i would say based on what i saw when commuting, that in the morning, there were more HGVs outbound than inbound, the opposite of what rush hour traffic would usually be, but am very cognisant of the fact that i'd be more likely to notice a HV breathing down my neck, than one passing on the other side of the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mamma mia.

The bus routes already diverted down Park Avenue were causing chaos today I hear also. Completely unsuitable route for buses.

Was out there during 'rush hour'. No such chaos spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Mamma mia.

How so? Wide enough road in the heart of a populated area, rather than at the edge of an area where the sea is at one side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

All in sundry with the cycle track going in who need to drive and heading towards the city , are going to make a right turn coming from strand road down Sydney Parade and onto Park Ave to avoid the traffic build up on merrion road . It’s going to get very sporty then re bus access. I can see the council making St John’s Road and Park Ave one way or it’s going to be grid lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

duskyjoe wrote: »
    All in sundry with the cycle track going in who need to drive and heading towards the city , are going to make a right turn coming from strand road down Sydney Parade and onto Park Ave to avoid the traffic build up on merrion road . It’s going to get very sporty then re bus access. I can see the council making St John’s Road and Park Ave one way or it’s going to be grid lock.

This is more scaremongering, and Mannix was saying the same thing about people having to turn right onto strand road when going to the city centre. How many of the journeys into the city centre require cars? Public transport is available. People will change habits. The vast majority of people have more sense than to drive to the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How so? Wide enough road in the heart of a populated area, rather than at the edge of an area where the sea is at one side.

Buses should not be driving round populated areas as they just cause too many delays. They should all be rerouted onto roads away from densely populated areas

Advertisement