Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Buses should not be driving round populated areas as they just cause too many delays. They should all be rerouted onto roads away from densely populated areas

I was saying in in the context of Sandymount residents that will barely walk to their cars, yet alone a bus. They need to be tempted to busses on their doorstep before implementation of the likes of bus connects where they may have to walk a few minutes to get to a bus stop. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not sure if serious - you want traffic evaporation, for people to start using alternative means of transport, but move their bus stops further away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

This is more scaremongering, and Mannix was saying the same thing about people having to turn right onto strand road when going to the city centre. How many of the journeys into the city centre require cars? Public transport is available. People will change habits. The vast majority of people have more sense than to drive to the city centre.
    I am not scaremongering- just facts. People commute and to jobs that are not in the city so cars for some are a necessity to get to work. We have dire public infrastructure to replace cars for commuters travelling north side or afar imo.

I was saying in in the context of Sandymount residents that will barely walk to their cars, yet alone a bus. They need to be tempted to busses on their doorstep before implementation of the likes of bus connects where they may have to walk a few minutes to get to a bus stop. :pac:

What about the elderly ? This is not all about the young and those that are lazy to walk to a bus - there are others out there unlike us that can’t walk the the km to a bus. You need to keep all age groups in mind or should we just abandon these people for the greater good of cycling and what it promotes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I am not scaremongering- just facts. People commute and to jobs that are not in the city so cars for some are a necessity to get to work. We have dire public infrastructure to replace cars for commuters travelling north side or afar imo.

It's true, there's no way to get from somewhere like Sandymount to the northside using public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

What about the elderly ? This is not all about the young and those that are lazy to walk to a bus - there are others out there unlike us that can’t walk the the km to a bus. You need to keep all age groups in mind or should we just abandon these people for the greater good of cycling and what it promotes ?

So bus stops outside every house?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure if serious - you want traffic evaporation, for people to start using alternative means of transport, but move their bus stops further away?

I was definitely being sarcastic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    It's true, there's no way to get from somewhere like Sandymount to the northside using public transport.
    it's very handy in normal times, we can get the 1 bus from about a 5 or ten minute walk from our house, to almost the doorstep of the vintage inn (very near irishtown garda station). they do excellent grub on a friday and saturday - again, in normal times, i hope they weather this storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I lived on a street like that in London. Don't know why this one particular street was a request stop street but I assume it was just too small to fit a stop or no one would give up their parking or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

it's very handy in normal times, we can get the 1 bus from about a 5 or ten minute walk from our house, to almost the doorstep of the vintage inn (very near irishtown garda station). they do excellent grub on a friday and saturday - again, in normal times, i hope they weather this storm.

Oh that sounds like a nice evening out!

And if you had a fold up bike that you can take on the bus, you could cut that walk to a 1 or 2 min cycle

• Advertisement

There’s no talking to you guys - it’s either all or nothing, therein lies the divide and it’s turning into a vicious divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

There’s no talking to you guys - it’s either all or nothing, therein lies the divide and it’s turning into a vicious divide.

I think you'll find this entire thread is about a six month trial of one lane of one road, which is hardly all? People can drive cars in the other lane, and on aaaaall the other roads in the city. So on that basis, we can assume you support the trial? :)

it’s turning into a vicious divide.
    ah, could you not have said 'vicious cycle'? cos i can't use what you did say in a bad pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its difficult to not see it be a success during the next few months as driving around is so easy at the moment. It will be easier to take a view after the summer, personally Ill be happy so long at there are not lines of traffic back into the village as that would be new.
    There is one odd downside of this, The Merrion centre is the main Supermarket for people in Sandymount, there will now be no direct way to get home, you essentially need to drive up to the carriageway and come back by Donnybrook church do a 2k trip would become a 4 or 5k one.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    iThe Merrion centre is the main Supermarket for people in Sandymount, there will now be no direct way to get home, you essentially need to drive up to the carriageway and come back by Donnybrook church do a 2k trip would become a 4 or 5k one.
    there’s a tesco in Sandymount , albeit no parking but just buy a cargo bike and your sorted ! I wouldn’t hold up the merrion centre as a doyen of shopping, a kip if you ask me

there’s a tesco in Sandymount , albeit no parking but just buy a cargo bike and your sorted ! I wouldn’t hold up the merrion centre as a doyen of shopping, a kip if you ask me

its only a metro, its ok for small walk in shopping but one would still need to go to a bigger supermarket once a week

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

this popped up in my twitter feed this morning (posted by david o'doherty, a keen cyclist so i can only speculate as to his reasoning for doing so:

Every NIMBY’s Speech At a Public Hearing
    Friends, neighbors, it’s good to see all of you. I know you, you know me, and just seeing all of your faces at this city council meeting reminds me why I love living in this town. Because I feel comforted by stasis and regularity, both fed by ignorance, and which combine to perpetuate injustice.
    https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/every-nimbys-speech-at-a-public-hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

silverharp wrote: »
    its only a metro, its ok for small walk in shopping but one would still need to go to a bigger supermarket once a week

why couldn't you come back via Serpentine Ave, or Sydney Parade & Park Ave?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Has anyone brought up the difficulty of carrying a double bass on a bicycle yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yep, no doubt about that, the taxi drivers and white van men of Ringsend etc are hating this news, I've seen it on Facebook. Not just the poshos of Sandymount.

Good to see that it's not just inverse snobbery...plenty of inverse inverse snobbery too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

loyatemu wrote: »

I presume because there is no right turn on Merrion Road towards Sydney Parade?

Somewhat related, if not in location, but there is a campaign to stop the wooden bridge closing to motor traffic. One of the points they are using is that the light sequence for motorists coming off/onto the bridge are too short and are asking for the cycle lane green light phases to be shorter.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I presume because there is no right turn on Merrion Road towards Sydney Parade?

There is a right turn down serpentine, which brings you to Claremont road and into the village. The original complaint was that Sandymounters who go Merrion would have to use the N11 to get home.

No turn right at Sydney Parade from merrion rd .

this popped up in my twitter feed this morning (posted by david o'doherty, a keen cyclist so i can only speculate as to his reasoning for doing so:

Every NIMBY’s Speech At a Public Hearing

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/every-nimbys-speech-at-a-public-hearing

NANBYs are the new NIMBYs. I'm Not A Nimby But

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Has anyone brought up the difficulty of carrying a double bass on a bicycle yet?
    a friend has become much more interested in cycling recently (though i think more as a concept than an actual activity so far). she's a cellist and is about 5'1" and has managed so far without a car. though a taxi driver nearly once knocked her out with her own cello while trying to get it into the boot.

It’d have to study bus connects but it is possible that they will move to Merrion Road with a circular route linking them. I’m saying that not having studied the bus connects plan for the area though. It will probably end up in court too!

Sydney Parade has always been a no right turn , merrion gates was the only way of getting back from Tesco, Serpentine I guess, but it means going from one end of Sandymount to the far end and doubling back and using Claremont road (for me) which isnt a good road anyway and seems to be one of the roads mentioned as a new rat run

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

PaulieC wrote: »
    Somewhat related, if not in location, but there is a campaign to stop the wooden bridge closing to motor traffic. One of the points they are using is that the light sequence for motorists coming off/onto the bridge are too short and are asking for the cycle lane green light phases to be shorter.

Who is campaigning for that? Any time the weather is nice far too many cars go there, the only thing they can do is restrict them at this stage, as it's just going to get worse and worse as the years go on.

• Advertisement

No. It is about a few that are determined to drive everywhere up to and including 100m to the local shop. You do realise that many elderly are very capable of cycling too. Many do.

Advertisement