Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The elderly and disabled are just used to score points, I really don't think anyone gives a f*ck about them, they just don't want any restrictions on cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

a friend has become much more interested in cycling recently (though i think more as a concept than an actual activity so far). she's a cellist and is about 5'1" and has managed so far without a car. though a taxi driver nearly once knocked her out with her own cello while trying to get it into the boot.
    As I understand it you can get cello backpacks and trailers. The latter are better for shorter people, I assume.

I usually use a BackAx harness these days when I have to carry a guitar on the bike, but I assume they're a little easier to carry than a cello, let alone a double bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

silverharp wrote: »
    Sydney Parade has always been a no right turn , merrion gates was the only way of getting back from Tesco, Serpentine I guess, but it means going from one end of Sandymount to the far end and doubling back and using Claremont road (for me) which isnt a good road anyway and seems to be one of the roads mentioned as a new rat run

still better than schlepping up to the N11.
    Some journeys by car becoming slightly longer to accommodate safer and more direct cycling routes is an acceptable trade-off, and the sort of thing that should be happening everywhere. Encourage cycling, discourage driving for short trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Sydney Parade has always been a no right turn , merrion gates was the only way of getting back from Tesco, Serpentine I guess, but it means going from one end of Sandymount to the far end and doubling back and using Claremont road (for me) which isnt a good road anyway and seems to be one of the roads mentioned as a new rat run

Yes Sydney Parade has no right turn, not that it means much to loads of people. Those who want to be seen to be more correct turn left and then do a u-turn to cross Merrion road.

On the subject of rat runs where people are guessing, unless it is efficient, it will not be used. I can’t remember Claremont off the top of my head, but it may not be used. Traffic calming measures could also be requested by residents to prevent rat runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

tomasrojo wrote: »

As I understand it you can get cello backpacks and trailers. The latter are better for shorter people, I assume.

I usually use a BackAx harness these days when I have to carry a guitar on the bike, but I assume they're a little easier to carry than a cello, let alone a double bass.

Sandymount locals can't carry their cellos on bikes coz the elderly, covid, special needs kids, families and rights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there a feasible one way system to adopt on affected roads? i.e. create a few loops, maybe join them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

is there a feasible one way system to adopt on affected roads? i.e. create a few loops, maybe join them up?

Computer (a few residents) says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Mamma mia.

The bus routes already diverted down Park Avenue were causing chaos today I hear also. Completely unsuitable route for buses.

Teething problems, there’s always going to be issues at the start with any change.

its difficult to not see it be a success during the next few months as driving around is so easy at the moment. It will be easier to take a view after the summer, personally Ill be happy so long at there are not lines of traffic back into the village as that would be new.
    There is one odd downside of this, The Merrion centre is the main Supermarket for people in Sandymount, there will now be no direct way to get home, you essentially need to drive up to the carriageway and come back by Donnybrook church do a 2k trip would become a 4 or 5k one.

You don’t need to drive 2km. You could get a wheelie trolly like every granny had in the 80s and 90s. Or get it delivered.
    Driving a 2km round trip is where the problem is.

Hoppa Lightweight Shopping Trolley Folding 2 Wheel Large Capacity Shopper (Black Flamingos) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KSCC16W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_TXFHH124WVTF585P46DA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Buses should not be driving round populated areas as they just cause too many delays. They should all be rerouted onto roads away from densely populated areas

That kind of defeats the purpose.
    Perhaps Dublin Bus should relocate to Donegal.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    You don’t need to drive 2km. You could get a wheelie trolly like every granny had in the 80s and 90s. Or get it delivered.

Hoppa Lightweight Shopping Trolley Folding 2 Wheel Large Capacity Shopper (Black Flamingos) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KSCC16W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_TXFHH124WVTF585P46DA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    My wife has a trolley like that, and I have something really similar but it also attaches to a bike.

Based on comments we get, and this lady on Twitter, the perception that they're for old people who can't drive is very strong, and militates against people who care acutely about how they are perceived using them.

https://twitter.com/HBudnitz/status/1296053968704086016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

PaulieC wrote: »
    There is a right turn down serpentine, which brings you to Claremont road and into the village. The original complaint was that Sandymounters who go Merrion would have to use the N11 to get home.

I wonder to soften the blow for Sandymount residents if there could be a temporary right turn from Merrion Road to Sydney Parade. For example, no right turn during peak hours (07.00 - 10.00 and 16:00 to 19:00) but otherwise permit it.

Sorts out access from Vincents, Merrion centre, N11, coming from Blackrock ect.

There are motorised hand trolleys now too. I think they do like pedelecs, and the motor starts up when you push them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yes Sydney Parade has no right turn, not that it means much to loads of people. Those who want to be seen to be more correct turn left and then do a u-turn to cross Merrion road.

yeah thats me :pac: , if more people do it, plod will take an interest in it.
    On the subject of rat runs where people are guessing, unless it is efficient, it will not be used. I can’t remember Claremont off the top of my head, but it may not be used. Traffic calming measures could also be requested by residents to prevent rat runs.

it brings you out at the green beside the "Spar" its just one of those bendy roads with cars parked where 2 cars cant pass each other going in opposite directions. It works with low traffic volumes, if you dont turn there you end up on Tritonville road which again only works with low volume

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

ted1 wrote: »

Let's start a trend of using shopping trolleys!

In fairness the kooky looking flamingo one you have linked to is quite adorable :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny enough, we were recently treated to a (humorous, and very expletive laden) slagging match between two shop assistants, concerning the recent purchase by one of a 'granny trolley'. she seems to swear by it.

funny enough, we were recently treated to a (humorous, and very expletive laden) slagging match between two shop assistants, concerning the recent purchase by one of a 'granny trolley'. she seems to swear by it.

Lol

I love my Ikea "Granny Trolley".......but my husband not so keen to walk with me when I am using it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Mamma mia.

The bus routes already diverted down Park Avenue were causing chaos today I hear also. Completely unsuitable route for buses.

A lot of the road space in these areas is taken up with people storing their private property on the public road.

Same thing happens in Glasnevin, people park their cars on the road and the buses struggle to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hope Dublin Bus are ready to quickly move the routes back to Strand Road once the trial is called off tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

If there is an injunction to stop works pending a full review would that not just mean dropping tools and leaving any in progress partially completed works in place until the hearing. It'd be a waste of money to undo everything to only redo it again at a later date.

That'd be a terribly ironic outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I wonder to soften the blow for Sandymount residents if there could be a temporary right turn from Merrion Road to Sydney Parade. For example, no right turn during peak hours (07.00 - 10.00 and 16:00 to 19:00) but otherwise permit it.

Sorts out access from Vincents, Merrion centre, N11, coming from Blackrock ect.

Sea swimmer that’ll never happen. In reality a no right turn inbound policy really needs to be from the merrion gates (happening) all the way into the grand canal at Warrington Place. Traffic will come back post covid and this will protect the residents from rat runs, ensure cyclists have some space and protect that triangle of residents being swamped with traffic .... I honestly don’t see anyway around it and pray to ones god that the “evaporation theory” that has been preached time and time again will work on the merrion rd. DCC have in their pamphlet worked out percentages and the traffic forecast looks bleak for merrion rd especially I think when reality returns next sept with schools etc . Here hoping .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

its only a metro, its ok for small walk in shopping but one would still need to go to a bigger supermarket once a week

Get your shopping delivered, or else deal with the increased traffic as it's only once a week as you say.

Tesco Metro in the village is fine for everything else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Going forward, facts rather than facebook posts and unconfirmed government sources, most of which have not born out to be true over the course of this thread. Unless DB has announced they are changing routes back, lets mute the discussion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Effects wrote: »
    Get your shopping delivered, or else deal with the increased traffic as it's only once a week as you say.

Tesco Metro in the village is fine for everything else.

I wouldnt be into getting shopping delivered and I like to use the butcher . I dont mind so much any personal inconvenience but my support would drop if I noticed a deterioration around the Village in terms of traffic, or a deterioration in my kids cycling commute to school

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I wouldnt be into getting shopping delivered and I like to use the butcher . I dont mind so much any personal inconvenience but my support would drop if I noticed a deterioration around the Village in terms of traffic, or a deterioration in my kids cycling commute to school

Yes the butcher is a nice guy in Merrion shopping centre.

Fingers crossed the trial doesn't show a deteroriation in condition for the kids cycling to school

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Grassey wrote: »
    If there is an injunction to stop works pending a full review would that not just mean dropping tools and leaving any in progress partially completed works in place until the hearing.

No, in that event the Council would have to reinstate some or all of what they've changed so far. Maybe some of the new kerbing could remain, but junctions and mini roundabouts would have to be restored to their previous arrangement for everyone's safety.

Don't forget, even though the Court has scheduled a judicial review hearing for April, he may well defer to the determination of An Bord Pleanála which has been applied for. Given the An BP backlog, that could take months. If they determine a Part 8 or other environmental assessment process must be carried out, you're looking at another 6 months - thats if the Council decide to revisit it once pandemic impacts have begun to fade. (also don't forget if it goes against them, ALL of their covid mobility schemes around the City will have to go through Part 8, the Council will have to prioritise according to their resources)

In short, if trial is halted tomorrow, it'll likely be a year before there is any chance of work on the ground resuming. And acknowledging the Mod ruling above, I base that opinion on long experience of such processes, not just random numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

Next Monday DCC close Merrion Gates to northbound traffic so first turn right being Serpentine Avenue which has no pedestrian lights nor are there any pedestrian lights to cross at Merrion Road at junction of Serpentine Avenue,
    seems that pedestrians are way down pecking order. DCC own figures have a 114% increase morning peak hours on Merrion Road after Merrion gates heading towards town which doesn’t seem to be helpful for pedestrians and cyclists who currently use Merrion Road. Very hasty decisions made by DCC could very well jeopardise people adjacent to Merrion Road from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Trudee wrote: »
    Next Monday DCC close Merrion Gates to northbound traffic so first turn right being Serpentine Avenue which has no pedestrian lights nor are there any pedestrian lights to cross at Merrion Road at junction of Serpentine Avenue,
    seems that pedestrians are way down pecking order. DCC own figures have a 114% increase morning peak hours on Merrion Road after Merrion gates heading towards town which doesn’t seem to be helpful for pedestrians and cyclists who currently use Merrion Road. Very hasty decisions made by DCC could very well jeopardise people adjacent to Merrion Road from Monday.

There is a Ped crossing about 10 metres away from the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Not sure if this was shared? Some positive news, plans and stats about cycling to school in DLR:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-press-releases/council-encourages-schools-apply-cycle-and-scooter-parking

Advertisement