Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

There is no pedestrian crossing/lights at Serpentine Avenue which will be the first right hand turn now from 1st March, the pedestrian lights you are talking about are half way between Serpentine Avenue and Ballsbridge Avenue which is of no value to anybody who wants to cross Serpentine/Merrion Rd, the ped lights you refer to were put there initially when AIB said they were relocating all their staff to AIB HQ which of course never happened. Fact remains that come Monday 1st March this turning off Merrion Road is lethal for pedestrians walking towards Ballsbridge along Merrion Road opposite RDS side and lethal for anybody coming up Serpentine who wants to cross to other side to walk towards Ballsbridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Report it on fixmystreet.ie with the above comments. If its as bad as you say they should act fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I assume works will cease in Sandymount tomorrow but when will it go to court properly? In the summer?

DCC should have rectified this before going ahead with closing Merrion Gates on Monday, they worked out the traffic data so they would know that this turning now is the turn that will receive more traffic from Monday so not a lot of joined up thinking there, fixmystreet leads back to DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Trudee wrote: »
    There is no pedestrian crossing/lights at Serpentine Avenue which will be the first right hand turn now from 1st March, the pedestrian lights you are talking about are half way between Serpentine Avenue and Ballsbridge Avenue which is of no value to anybody who wants to cross Serpentine/Merrion Rd, the ped lights you refer to were put there initially when AIB said they were relocating all their staff to AIB HQ which of course never happened. Fact remains that come Monday 1st March this turning off Merrion Road is lethal for pedestrians walking towards Ballsbridge along Merrion Road opposite RDS side and lethal for anybody coming up Serpentine who wants to cross to other side to walk towards Ballsbridge.

I've attached an aerial view for your perusal. Marked it up for you too. Your use of hyperbole is interesting.

• Advertisement

Don’t see aerial view you speak about but short of levitating across Serpentine Avenue it will be lethal

If you have managed to find a pedestrian crossing light at junction of Serpentine Avenue/Merrion Road you are way ahead of DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Next Monday DCC close Merrion Gates to northbound traffic so first turn right being Serpentine Avenue which has no pedestrian lights nor are there any pedestrian lights to cross at Merrion Road at junction of Serpentine Avenue,
    seems that pedestrians are way down pecking order. DCC own figures have a 114% increase morning peak hours on Merrion Road after Merrion gates heading towards town which doesn’t seem to be helpful for pedestrians and cyclists who currently use Merrion Road. Very hasty decisions made by DCC could very well jeopardise people adjacent to Merrion Road from Monday.

14% is a minimal increase. When writing like 114% it sounds like a lot. But it’s not.
    It just means instead of 50 cars it’s 57.
    What is the base number?

There’s a cycle lane/ bus lane going in on Merrion road. Shouldn’t make a difference to cyclists

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

PaulieC wrote: »
    I've attached an aerial view for your perusal. Marked it up for you too. Your use of hyperbole is interesting.

It's uncontrolled so effectively useless.

Was this issue brought up by the opponents at any point? DCC installed pedestrian crossings on Sandymount Green so I don't see why they would be against the idea of installing them here. I'm surprised it's not already there. That corner radius needs to be reduced too.

Don’t see aerial view you speak about but short of levitating across Serpentine Avenue it will be lethal

Yeah, having to walk the extra few yards there could be the difference between life and death

• Advertisement

This is not a pedestrian crossing and you are obviously not familiar with the traffic light sequence here, a left filter light off Serpentine coincides with a right filter off Merrion Road onto Serpentine Ave so pedestrian has no chance, there is no pedestrian button on these lights to go from one side to other of Ave or Road

Again you have obviously never been at this junction during Leinster matches in RDS or large events in RDS everybody who comes up Serpentine from DART or walking crosses at Serpentine Ave/Merrion Road junction which again I repeat has no pedestrian lights to halt traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

ted1 wrote: »
    14% is a minimal increase. When writing like 114% it sounds like a lot. But it’s not.
    It just means instead of 50 cars it’s 57.
    What is the base number?

There’s a cycle lane/ bus lane going in on Merrion road. Shouldn’t make a difference to cyclists

Em, I have no opinions on this infrastructure, don't live up there, but a 114% increase is not a increase of just seven, it would be an absolute difference of 57 from the original value, 50, for an overall increase of 107

Peregrine wrote: »
    It's uncontrolled so effectively useless.

Was this issue brought up by the opponents at any point? DCC installed pedestrian crossings on Sandymount Green so I don't see why they would be against the idea of installing them here. I'm surprised it's not already there. That corner radius needs to be reduced too.
    This is not a pedestrian crossing and you are obviously not familiar with the traffic light sequence here, a left filter light off Serpentine coincides with a right filter off Merrion Road onto Serpentine Ave so pedestrian has no chance, there is no pedestrian button on these lights to go from one side to other of Ave or Road

Jesus wept... how the f**k do you people manage to stay alive day to day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I assume works will cease in Sandymount tomorrow but when will it go to court properly? In the summer?

Judge gave them a date in April. That may change depending on the Council's appearance in Court tomorrow.

He could well convene in April and ask have An BP made a determination at that point and if not, adjourn the case until they have. I think thats most likely.

We’ve managed because Merrion Gates wasn’t closed off to all Northbound traffic but come Monday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Again you have obviously never been at this junction during Leinster matches in RDS or large events in RDS everybody who comes up Serpentine from DART or walking crosses at Serpentine Ave/Merrion Road junction which again I repeat has no pedestrian lights to halt traffic

Trudee is right - that junction has always been lethal for PEDs.... DCC have really messed up here not addressing it re the cycle track going in

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We’ve managed because Merrion Gates wasn’t closed off to all Northbound traffic but come Monday....
    ...what?
    If you read the screening report you'll see the following...
    According to modelling carried out by the NTA in October 2020 (ref Appendix I), removal of northbound traffic will reduce traffic volumes by approximately 40%. During the trial operational period, it can be anticipated that traffic, noise and air quality impacts the scheme area will be less than at present.

The NTA traffic modelling predicts that the displaced northbound traffic will disperse through a number of alternative routes for the duration of the scheme. During the a.m. peak (the ‘worst case’) the changes in traffic on alternate routes are estimated to range from - 9% to +63% (ref Appendix I). This displaced traffic will be monitored and managed by DCC Transportation and Environment section in accordance with their normal remit to manage City traffic efficiently and sustainably.

During operation of the scheme, its benefits and impacts will be monitored and managed by DCC Transportation and Environment section in accordance with their normal remit to manage City traffic efficiently and sustainably.
    As noted above, two new pedestrian crossings are to be installed at Sandymount Green and these can be expected to help reduce potential effects due to displaced traffic.
    Should monitoring indicate a need, further standard traffic management interventions can be implemented to ameliorate effects of traffic displacement due to the Strand Road scheme, particularly in the local Sandymount area. Such intervention would be within the normal remit of DCC.
    https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2021-01/eia-screening-report-for-strand-rd.-trial-cycle-route.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is there anything being done to connect the DL route to the Sandymount Road route or do you just have to go out onto the Rock Road and Ringsend road?

These schemes should really be joined up if they're to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is there anything being done to connect the DL route to the Sandymount Road route or do you just have to go out onto the Rock Road and Ringsend road?

These schemes should really be joined up if they're to be successful.

The longstanding Sutton 2 Sandycove objective had a near continuous off road cycleway as the optimum solution, but DCCs Strand Road plan makes that kind of connectivity impossible.

However it would be unfair to ignore the decent cycleway on the DLR section of the Blackrock / Merrion Road from Monkstown to the county boundary at the Applegreen service station, its only DCC that have persisted with the bizarre shared bus and cycle lane design in their administrative area north of that point.

• Advertisement

None of the above is of any use to Serpentine Avenue/Merrion Road junction for Monday; traffic lights on Sandymount Green are of no use to someone crossing at Serpentine Avenue. DCC have already said in Final Report on Strand Road Cycle Trial page 20 that Serpentine Avenue/Tritonville Road is ‘the route which will require the most careful monitoring’.
    The traffic lights installed on Sandymount Green were not part of Strand Road Trial they were a separate measure which Cllr’s and others had been looking for for several years.

Jesus wept... how the f**k do you people manage to stay alive day to day ?

Didn't realise wanting pedestrian crossings on all arms of the junction outside the RDS means I struggle to stay alive. Weren't you giving out to me about polarity a few weeks ago?

Cycleway trial on Strand Road or not, there should be pedestrian crossings on all three arms of that junction. One safe crossing 50m away from the junction which doesn't allow two of the three possible crossing combinations at the Serpentine Avenue junction plus one unsafe uncontrolled crossing at the junction that's completely unsuitable for children and people with reduced mobility is just not good enough. Everyone would benefit from safety improvements on that junction. There are sub-standard junctions like this all down the Merrion Road.

Sadly, I think if the opponents on Serpentine Avenue, Tritonville Road and Claremont Road had actually focused on how to improve this plan and not on how to torpedo it, they may have gotten these pedestrian crossings and the area would have been a better place for it. I'll raise it with DCC and hopefully it can be installed soon.

uHgBy2h.jpg

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Trudee is right - that junction has always been lethal for PEDs.... DCC have really messed up here not addressing it re the cycle track going in

again, the use of hyberbole to describe a pedestrian crossing is very interesting

None of the above is of any use to Serpentine Avenue/Merrion Road junction for Monday; traffic lights on Sandymount Green are of no use to someone crossing at Serpentine Avenue. DCC have already said in Final Report on Strand Road Cycle Trial page 20 that Serpentine Avenue/Tritonville Road is ‘the route which will require the most careful monitoring’.
    The traffic lights installed on Sandymount Green were not part of Strand Road Trial they were a separate measure which Cllr’s and others had been looking for for several years.
    erm...
    Should monitoring indicate a need, further standard traffic management interventions can be implemented to ameliorate effects of traffic displacement due to the Strand Road scheme, particularly in the local Sandymount area. Such intervention would be within the normal remit of DCC.
    i.e. lights or other interventions will be added if required.
    Your posts suggests that they are required so therefore one can assume that DCC will add them there.
    Have you made your views known to any of the councillors though?

I have made my views known on this junction for many years as I walk to work this way and for years my children walked to school by crossing at this Serpentine Ave/Merrion Road junction every day - it beggars belief that in 5 days time this junction will be the first right hand turn for all traffic coming in from Deansgrange/Blackrock and DCC have to date not done anything- the focus is on removing roundabouts etc along Strand Road.

I have made my views known on this junction for many years as I walk to work this way and for years my children walked to school by crossing at this Serpentine Ave/Merrion Road junction every day - it beggars belief that in 5 days time this junction will be the first right hand turn for all traffic coming in from Deansgrange/Blackrock and DCC have to date not done anything- the focus is on removing roundabouts etc along Strand Road.
    Just to be clear, have you made your views known in writing?
    What was the response?

I have made my views known in writing and was told by a member of DCC that a design team would visit, maybe they did maybe they didn’t but right now Sandymount, Strand Road and Merrion gates is at full throttle so unless DCC have planned to send in a crack team that can realign junction between tonight and Sunday night it’s looking very much the same as it has been for years regardless of protestations

I have made my views known in writing and was told by a member of DCC that a design team would visit, maybe they did maybe they didn’t but right now Sandymount, Strand Road and Merrion gates is at full throttle so unless DCC have planned to send in a crack team that can realign junction between tonight and Sunday night it’s looking very much the same as it has been for years regardless of protestations
    ...and have you mentioned your concerns to your elected representatives?
    Some of them are quite aware of the improper prioritisation of cars over vulnerable road users which this project is about (whilst unfortunately some seem to prefer the prioritisation of cars, etc.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

umm... we cyclists complain a lot about councils magicking 'infrastructure' out of thin air with a couple of lines of paint. this pedestrian 'crossing' appears to be more of the same. it's not controlled; there is no button to request pedestrian lights to cross, nor are there pedestrian lights. the only thing here is a small island in the centre to 'shelter' in while halfway across the road.

how do people manage to stay alive day to day, you ask? i would not regard that as an adequate crossing for someone trying to herd kids, for example.

they should either provide a proper crossing, or not bother with the pretence of one. it's an R road, not a boreen.

• Advertisement

I've just requested pedestrian crossings on the Serpentine Avenue junction along with a reduced corner radius in the interest of pedestrian safety. It should have been done years ago and I'm disappointed that the local opposition groups didn't use their considerable voice constructively and call for this. I'd appreciate if others would make a similar request. It's a win for everyone.

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/covid-mobility-measure-request-form/

Advertisement