Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

...and have you mentioned your concerns to your elected representatives?
    Some of them are quite aware of the improper prioritisation of cars over vulnerable road users which this project is about (whilst unfortunately some seem to prefer the prioritisation of cars, etc.)

I have made my views known to my local elected representatives but at the end of the day it is DCC/NTA who have taken the decision to close Merrion Gates 1st March without putting in place safety measures for the pedestrians and cyclists who will be using this junction

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I must have been up and down Serpentine hundreds of times over the years. Unlike Sandymount avenue, it doesnt have a Dart station so the amount of pedestrians would be limited. If you are coming from Ballsbridge you would cross up the way and there is no real reason to be walking from the other direction or you would cross at the Simmonscourt junction. I could see a case for a pedestrian crossing on Serpentine itself maybe.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

And what about all the people who arrive in cars and park from top of Serpentine down as far as end Tritonville Road when going to matches or concerts do they not count as pedestrians once they get onto footpath? I take it you have not been at this junction on a match day or concert/RDS event. Even on a regular day Serpentine has loads of people walking up and down so not sure how you arrive at limited pedestrians and even if there was only 1 person a day walking from Serpentine across Merrion Road junction they are entitled to be able to cross safely.

Trudee wrote: »
    And what about all the people who arrive in cars and park from top of Serpentine down as far as end Tritonville Road when going to matches or concerts do they not count as pedestrians once they get onto footpath? I take it you have not been at this junction on a match day or concert/RDS event. Even on a regular day Serpentine has loads of people walking up and down so not sure how you arrive at limited pedestrians and even if there was only 1 person a day walking from Serpentine across Merrion Road junction they are entitled to be able to cross safely.

on match days its chaos anyway, people will just be wandering where they like. I assume there has to be a balance, more traffic lights would slow the main road and Merrion road is an important route for buses

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CHESSMUTANT

silverharp wrote: »
    Ill be happy so long at there are not lines of traffic back into the village as that would be new.
    Where is this magical place in Dublin that's never had traffic congestion?

• Advertisement

It is not about more traffic lights it's about reconfiguring the current set of lights at this junction because from Monday this will be the first turn right once Merrion Gates are closed which DCC/NTA say will be from Monday 1st March, first turn right along this busy route and no pedestrian lights for people to cross from one side to other - buses are not affected one way or the other whether this week or from next week the bus lane is as it is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Trudee wrote: »

You should be questioning the decision to allow people park on this roads in the first place. Far, far, far too much public road space is given over to private vehicles going nowhere.

Well they are going somewhere- the RDS mainly whether it’s to vote in elections such as the Moldovan elections held there recently or the Horse Show or conferences etc so unless the RDS want to stop hosting events I don’t see that happening anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weepsie wrote: »
    You should be questioning the decision to allow people park on this roads in the first place. Far, far, far too much public road space is given over to private vehicles going nowhere.

Speaking of which;
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drivers-must-pay-690-to-park-outside-own-homes-in-plan-to-cut-pollution-k3h77wpx6

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was quite surprised there was no ped lights on Merrion Road, right beside Serepentine avenue, I cycled through their for years, now no issues for peds crossing at peak traffic as traffic was at a standstill but I really thought they got a crossing when the right turn light went on. Either way, except for cost, its an easy solution. Put ped lights on there and link it to the right turn light, then put ped lights on Serpentine Avenue and have the merrion road lights change to a straight ahead and left filter to allow the pedestrian crossing. That alone will accomodate pedestrians but it will probably have more of an affect on traffic than the entire works carried out on the strand road. Personally it should be done, but then I also feel they should get rid of the left hand driving lane for cars before their in the direction of town and make that a bus lane. It would certainly encourage bus use, and then they would have to stop the right hand turn onto Serpentine as it would be a log jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

silverharp wrote: »
    The Merrion centre is the main Supermarket for people in Sandymount, there will now be no direct way to get home, you essentially need to drive up to the carriageway and come back by Donnybrook church do a 2k trip would become a 4 or 5k one.

As stated elsewhere, a left & a U turn at Sydney Parade would sort. My main point is, though, is this: As with every single argument relating to diverting traffic somewhat, if you are in a car, you have an engine under you that can effortlessly take you anywhere, it's not that difficult. An extra 500m means nothing.

On the other hand - and this is more related to suggested cycling diversion routes around Rathmines, I think - when you're cycling, you're under your own steam. If it's lashing rain and you're just trying to get to your destination, you're always going to take the direct route, not the extra-kilometre-in-the-direction-you're-not-going one. Having said that, I certainly will be taking a diversion some days from my usual cycle commute from town to South city to use the Strand Road route as it will be such a beautiful cycle when it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Any insiders know what time the arguments are being heard?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't see anything on http://legaldiary.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/high-court/8BA61A2CCF3D188880258686005039EC?OpenDocument for it (I'm not sure who is hearing it or what the description is).

Strangely, I do see this which I'm assuming is for the development beside Connolly Station...
    FOR ELECTRONIC JUDGMENT
    MR JUSTICE MC DONALD
    2020 248 JR DUBLIN CYCLING CAMPAIGN CLG -V- AN BORD PLEANALA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

site_owner wrote: »
    Any insiders know what time the arguments are being heard?

I’m expecting live updates from inside the courthouse from our resident expert :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Dublin City Council's Parks Department have made some changes to the Strand Road plan. More planters, benches and bike parking. Local opponents: ban this sick filth.

nEzhVG4.png

3xoD6hEl.png

lkpMpYFh.png

Q8CPvSL.png

ShuWysTh.png

m9Wf8sO.png

Hyn5udV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Still no word on court today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Peregrine wrote: »
    Dublin City Council's Parks Department have made some changes to the Strand Road plan. More planters, benches and bike parking. Local opponents: ban this sick filth.

Look at all that lovely reclaimed space! I'm fierce jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm taking bets now.

By May when all the re-landscaping is done, the mini roundabouts are gone, there's less traffic, lots of people walking cycling and sitting on benches etc.

The Sandymount residents crowd will be acting like it was a brilliant idea and they were 100% for it the whole time, and those that weren't were ignorant. It'll be Sandymount's equivalent to the divorce referendum, i.e. nobody remembers opposing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

I just hope, that as part of this, they widen the entrance into the park / beach at the junction of Beach Road and Marine Road. They build a really great and popular playground and then leave the nearest access point so narrow that people walking with buggies or bikes cannot pass each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

nEzhVG4.png

Does anyone else feel sorry for that lad in the suit? It looks like he's processing some really bad news or struggling with something existential :(

They got the car right though. Looks like a '07 Jag Xj6. Proper leafy South Dublin local there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'm taking bets now.

By May when all the re-landscaping is done, the mini roundabouts are gone, there's less traffic, lots of people walking cycling and sitting on benches etc.

The Sandymount residents crowd will be acting like it was a brilliant idea and they were 100% for it the whole time, and those that weren't were ignorant. It'll be Sandymount's equivalent to the divorce referendum, i.e. nobody remembers opposing it.

I don't think so, some nice weather will lead to traffic jams in the village etc (which would have been jammed anyway) and they'll be freaking out pointing at this in a told you so manner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

fat bloke wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel sorry for that lad in the suit? It looks like he's processing some really bad news or struggling with something existential :(

They got the car right though. Looks like a '07 Jag Xj6. Proper leafy South Dublin local there.

That's Mannix. Or Labre. Or both..

None of the people in that drawing are wearing masks - and that lad on the right looks like he has a tissue in his hand. The next wave of Covid kicking off in front of us and DCC just don't care. #sandymountstrain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also - the circular tree planter. what's wrong with non-circular trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

daragh_ wrote: »
    That's Mannix.

Lost in thought, working out how to get the boots of the middle class off the necks of the stout-hearted working-class residents of coastal Sandymount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'm taking bets now.

As soon as estate agents start hyping the new strand in their ads, raising the value of Sandymount property throughout.
    Sitting on more money, getting nice new amenities for your summer walks - all you have to do is... nothing. Just let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Hopefully after landscaping, they put in decent seating and planters - I'm not too keen on garden furniture that looks like it could be used in a beer garden being provided in the public realm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

God, I hadn't noticed that...quite disturbing :(:(:(

Also, the woman sitting on the bench at the left seems to be a ghost:confused::eek:

remind me again about the off street parking on the strand road, is that going, if not it would mean cars crossing the cycle lane? if they throw up popup stalls n' stuff in its place during the trial it would be popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm taking bets now.

By May when all the mini roundabouts are gone...

I was out that way today, by car, and all the mini rounabouts I passed have already been removed. I think they started work on it last week.

Advertisement