Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fat bloke wrote: »

They got the car right though. Looks like a '07 Jag Xj6. Proper leafy South Dublin local there.

But it’s in yellow plates. Well beyond it’s 5km

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Still no word on court today?

It's tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Trudee wrote: »
    Well they are going somewhere- the RDS mainly whether it’s to vote in elections such as the Moldovan elections held there recently or the Horse Show or conferences etc so unless the RDS want to stop hosting events I don’t see that happening anytime soon

Double yellow lines will get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Well they are going somewhere- the RDS mainly whether it’s to vote in elections such as the Moldovan elections held there recently

How many foreign elections are held there that it's causing such an ongoing parking problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

Effects wrote: »
    How many foreign elections are held there that it's causing such an ongoing parking problem?

I never said there was a parking problem if you go back over my posts, I said there was a safety issue with crossing Serpentine/Merrion Road, two very different things

• Advertisement

I never said there was a parking problem if you go back over my posts, I said there was a safety issue with crossing Serpentine/Merrion Road, two very different things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It should be chased up separately as it long preceded the Strand Road changes.

It should be chased up separately as it long preceded the Strand Road changes.

Separately to what? It’s DCC who govern traffic light changes so at the moment they are changing roundabouts and putting in rht from Strand Rd into Merrion Rd Southbound so as the decision is for Serpentine Avenue to now become 1st turn right for traffic coming in from DunLaoighaire/B’rock then the safety of pedestrians at this junction should be a priority now more than it ever was in the past.

Separately to what? It’s DCC who govern traffic light changes so at the moment they are changing roundabouts and putting in rht from Strand Rd into Merrion Rd Southbound so as the decision is for Serpentine Avenue to now become 1st turn right for traffic coming in from DunLaoighaire/B’rock then the safety of pedestrians at this junction should be a priority now more than it ever was in the past.

Set up a STC group for it. It would be money better spent than objecting to the cycle track in Strand road.

Set up a STC group for it. It would be money better spent than objecting to the cycle track in Strand road.

That’s very constructive, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

The city centre HGV ban will be extended to the Sandymount area for the duration of the trial. Hopefully that has a positive effect on the area and residents' concerns.

https://twitter.com/SusanTheSilent/status/1364988513553383426

That’s very constructive, thanks.

Well you are trying to lump it in to do with cycling, when it has been a issue since motor vehicles, and the roads existing. It seems that the STC group have had some success delaying a badly needed cycling and reclaiming the streets for people project. Get them on board for your cause. Although on second thoughts, they would probably object because it would delay them driving through the junction for another few seconds while waiting for pedestrians to cross.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also, the woman sitting on the bench at the left seems to be a ghost:confused::eek:
    Dealing with that crowd (or most local groups) on FB would make you long for the sweet release of death I imagine. Maybe the architect was projecting their dreams.
    I was out that way today, by car, and all the mini rounabouts I passed have already been removed. I think they started work on it last week.
    I thought some had been removed a good while ago, not that they made much of a difference bar one positive that people did slow, slightly, while driving over them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    The city centre HGV van will be extended to the Sandymount area for the duration of the trial. Hopefully that has a positive effect on the area and residents' concerns.
    is it/will it be policed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was out that way today, by car, and all the mini rounabouts I passed have already been removed. I think they started work on it last week.
    i think i found the kick out of the kerb at the roundabout more irritating than the roundabouts themselves:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3366121,-6.2179068,3a,75y,110.59h,65.67t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYh2iKw8SL1r4_MQUC-2tnw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DYh2iKw8SL1r4_MQUC-2tnw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D70.35471%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

i think their sole purpose was to irritate cyclists. or maybe just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Well you are trying to lump it in to do with cycling, when it has been a issue since motor vehicles, and the roads existing. It seems that the STC group have had some success delaying a badly needed cycling and reclaiming the streets for people project. Get them on board for your cause. Although on second thoughts, they would probably object because it would delay them driving through the junction for another few seconds while waiting for pedestrians to cross.

Is this a reclaim the streets forum or a cycling forum? You come across as a prize bully .

is it/will it be policed?

There is an app where people can report trucks. It should move the vast majority of 5 axles to the m50. Surely that is a winning situation for all of south Dublin from the coast to the m50.

duskyjoe, if you have an issue with FT's posts, use the report button, or drop the name calling.

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Is this a reclaim the streets forum or a cycling forum? You come across as a prize bully .

When you resort to name calling you have lost any argument you had.

A poster came to this forum going on about an issue that has existed for decades as if it is directly related to the Strand Road trial. It is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

A poster came to this forum going on about an issue that has existed for decades as if it is directly related to the Strand Road trial. It is not.

I’m not name calling - RTFP- “you come across “ is not name calling. You might peruse a dictionary re the word ‘assumption’. Safe cycling

• Advertisement

duskyjoe - don't post in this thread again, thanks. any issues, PM me.

I came about an issue that is a by product of the Strand Road Trial - Merrion Gates closed on Monday 1st therefore Serpentine Avenue will become the first right hand turn for cars/vans coming from DunLaoghaire/Blackrock/Deansgrange direction along South Coast Dublin route - the issue is the increase as predicted by DCC in their own Public Consultation Final Report - traffic along Merrion Road will increase northwards from Merrion gates by 114% and also by their own admission 'Serpentine route 'is the one that will require the most careful monitoring' so not a problem that has existed for decades but a problem that is predicted by DCC themselves to occur from March 1st and directly related to Strand Road Trial.

I came about an issue that is a by product of the Strand Road Trial - Merrion Gates closed on Monday 1st therefore Serpentine Avenue will become the first right hand turn for cars/vans coming from DunLaoghaire/Blackrock/Deansgrange direction along South Coast Dublin route - the issue is the increase as predicted by DCC in their own Public Consultation Final Report - traffic along Merrion Road will increase northwards from Merrion gates by 114% and also by their own admission 'Serpentine route 'is the one that will require the most careful monitoring' so not a problem that has existed for decades but a problem that is predicted by DCC themselves to occur from March 1st

When I was working in Bankcentre years ago it was an issue. You mentioned it in previous posts that it is an issue for you and your kids presently. So it is an old issue. With the trucks being banned from Sandymount, there should be little to no traffic to the port from them, and so that should reduce that percentage by a bit. Although 114% certainly does not mean a 114% increase on Serpentine Avenue.

When I was working in Bankcentre years ago it was an issue. You mentioned it in previous posts that it is an issue for you and your kids presently. So it is an old issue. With the trucks being banned from Sandymount, there should be little to no traffic to the port from them, and so that should reduce that percentage by a bit. Although 114% certainly does not mean a 114% increase on Serpentine Avenue.

When you worked in the Bankcentre years ago Serpentine Avenue was not the only rht which it will be from Monday so what was a historical issue will become a dangerous issue from Monday and there is no denying this fact particulary when there are no pedestrian lights. I never said there was an 114% of traffic on Serpentine Avenue, I said DCC have stated Serpentine Avenue 'is the one which will require the most careful monitoring'.

When you worked in the Bankcentre years ago Serpentine Avenue was not the only rht which it will be from Monday so what was a historical issue will become a dangerous issue from Monday and there is no denying this fact particulary when there are no pedestrian lights. I never said there was an 114% of traffic on Serpentine Avenue, I said DCC have stated Serpentine Avenue 'is the one which will require the most careful monitoring'.

So give them feedback during the monitoring period. Get your neighbours, family, friends etc to do the same.

There is money to be spent in that area on exactly the infrastructure you are looking for. Literally millions!

If I was you I'd be working on getting a ground swell of support for these additions to be added as part of the trial

There is a 5 axle ban in place 7am-19pm Mon-Sun

There is a 5 axle ban in place 7am-19pm Mon-Sun

Which is changing to a full 24hr ban from Monday as part of the trial

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116405622&postcount=792

Trudee, while I fully support you in wanting these pedestrian crossings at the Serpentine Avenue/Merrion Road junction, why didn't you or any of the Serpentine Avenue residents ask for it during the consultation?

Having requested it myself, I feel like I've done more for the cause than anyone on Serpentine Avenue.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Trudee, while I fully support you in wanting these pedestrian crossings at the Serpentine Avenue/Merrion Road junction, why didn't you or any of the Serpentine Avenue residents ask for it during the consultation?

Having requested it myself, I feel like I've done more for the cause than anyone on Serpentine Avenue.

I did request it as I did in the past too before Strand Road Public Consultation

• Advertisement

I did request it as I did in the past too before Strand Road Public Consultation

That's interesting because I requested all 2650 responses to the Strand Road consultation from Dublin City Council and filtered them for ones containing the words "serpentine", "pedestrian" and "crossing". Out of the 2650 submissions, there were no submissions that asked for pedestrian crossings at the junction of Serpentine Avenue and Merrion Road.

Maybe I missed yours but it still wouldn't be a lot.

Advertisement