Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

https://sandymountcycleforall.ie

Enlightening to say the least.

"The current DCC version of the Sandymount Cycle track (supported by the Green Party) will deliver an overall citywide increase in NOx levels of pollution in Dublin. This increased volume of pollution will not disperse as easily or as quickly as the the current lower volumes of NOx."

MUST. KEEP. CARS. MOVING. OR. EVERYONE. WILL. DIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This sort of thing turns up if you look for #NOx7688 on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/ForStrand/status/1358895548623904771

They seem to be claiming that 7688 diverted motorised vehicles would mostly cram into the backstreets of Sandydmount, but would also mostly disperse around the city, raising NOx everywhere. Claire Byrne, Green councillor, points out that air-quality monitoring is part of the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

daragh_ wrote: »
    https://sandymountcycleforall.ie

Enlightening to say the least.

"The current DCC version of the Sandymount Cycle track (supported by the Green Party) will deliver an overall citywide increase in NOx levels of pollution in Dublin. This increased volume of pollution will not disperse as easily or as quickly as the the current lower volumes of NOx."

MUST. KEEP. CARS. MOVING. OR. EVERYONE. WILL. DIE.
    If they are upset about the NOX from cars. We better not tell them about the 3 power plants in ringsend...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This sort of thing turns up if you look for #NOx7688 on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/ForStrand/status/1358895548623904771

They seem to be claiming that 7688 diverted motorised vehicles would mostly cram into the backstreets of Sandydmount, but would also mostly disperse around the city, raising NOx everywhere. Claire Byrne, Green councillor, points out that air-quality monitoring is part of the trial.

And they don't take into account that more people might actually cycle if their is a safe, dedicated route taking them right into the city centre too meaning less vehicles.

Planning permission is great and all, but when it comes to the greater good, it's being used as a poor excuse for people who just want to stomp their feet and oppose change. If every single step of this "part 8" was followed to the letter, this would probably get the green light because their is an appetite for it, and it's only going to grow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how is the cycle path intended to ferry people further on into the city centre? ringsend can be a bit messy traffic wise.

• Advertisement

how is the cycle path intended to ferry people further on into the city centre? ringsend can be a bit messy traffic wise.

I presume as part of the greater network that Mannix Flynn must surely support! (Based on mannixflynn.com)

545082.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was talk of a route there and bridges over the dodder and grand canal to sir john rogerson's quay.

A cycle route from Sandymount to Ringsend and into the City Centre has been on the cards since at least 2013, yet people act shocked and appalled when it actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

But his interest does seem to arise from his general dislike of cycling infrastructure, and maybe cyclists.

actually quite surprised he is so anti cyclists - I know he can be opinionated, but never struck me as a keen motorist - maybe he drives around city centre a lot - always thought of him a walker.

thebaz wrote: »
    actually quite surprised he is so anti cyclists - I know he can be opinionated, but never struck me as a keen motorist - maybe he drives around city centre a lot - always thought of him a walker.
    Yeah, I have no idea why he keeps coming back to this subject. I mean, that Oliver Bond quote was like a text-book idée fixe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bike W@nkers gave me the laugh I needed that day, but cowardly anonymous abuse like the Mayor received is despicable, the actions of a pathetic moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nothing wrong with more cycle paths but the Sandymount Strand thing was more about messing up motorists than anything else. I'm happy it has been stopped but it shouldn't have needed the Courts to do it.

Loose canons like Keegan need their wings clipped.

First Up wrote: »

Loose canons like Keegan need their wings clipped.

545092.jpeg

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bike W@nkers gave me the laugh I needed that day, but cowardly anonymous abuse like the Mayor received is despicable, the actions of a pathetic moron.

You come across as a really nice person. Yes that was sarcasm. How come you aren’t up in arms about the cost of relaying a section of concrete to fix it like you were about other costs earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

You come across as a really nice person. Yes that was sarcasm. How come you aren’t up in arms about the cost of relaying a section of concrete to fix it like you were about other costs earlier?

It'll probably have a plaque donated by STC over the weekend to commemorate the war. Sandymounts very own V-Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Perhaps it should be left as a monument to Keegan's failed folly. Either that or bolt in a set of Sheffield stands over it, so that only when its empty of bikes can the inscription clearly be read. That would be poetic wouldn't it?

No you're right, I'm not in the mood. See ye in 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Bike W@nkers ...........Mask slipping there @Labre34........stay classy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can't **** while cycling anyway.

eh, so someone told me.

eh, so someone told me.

I won't post it here, but if you search
    rollerskating from:youngvulgarian
    on Twitter, you get a surprising anecdote

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

eh, so someone told me.

I thought it was about **** a bike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Perhaps it should be left as a monument to Keegan's failed folly. Either that or bolt in a set of Sheffield stands over it, so that only when its empty of bikes can the inscription clearly be read. That would be poetic wouldn't it?

No you're right, I'm not in the mood. See ye in 9 weeks.
    Nothing has failed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cosmos7

Diesel Dickheads

Wouldn't it be great if all decisions for road realignments were determined after a bit of a trial to see if it works out ok or not.

Petrol hell hole

Whilst out on the bike in strong winds I was one time almost blown off

Inconveniencing motorists in Sandymount not ‘the end of civilisation’ says Keegan. Dublin city council ‘committed’ to Sandymount cycle project despite order

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/inconveniencing-motorists-in-sandymount-not-the-end-of-civilisation-says-keegan-1.4496336?mode=amp

Keegan has form with this sort of thing. When he was with DLRCOCO some years ago he introduced a set of "temporary" road closures in Mount Merrion. He then had a half-assed review carried out by a UK consultant who was here for something else and then used that as an excuse to make the closures permanent.

He has his own agenda.

Keegan has form with this sort of thing. When he was with DLRCOCO some years ago he introduced a set of "temporary" road closures in Mount Merrion. He then had a half-assed review carried out by a UK consultant who was here for something else and then used that as an excuse to make the closures permanent.

He has his own agenda.

His agenda seems to be to provide the most benefit to most people. Isn’t that his job? Or are you trying to tarnish his name?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Dundrum Main Street layout change was quite strongly opposed locally, as well as supported. I don't know enough about the layout of Strand Road/Sandymount to comment on the viability of different routes, but I assume they'd all have been met with opposition, because every change like this is.
    The Dundrum one seems to be working rally well, with many of the shops who were very vocal not batting an eyelid now, unless I am mistaken.

He has his own agenda.

Were most of those closures not a good idea considering the dangerous rat running that used to go on around there? It still does as people adapt but at least now its been reduced considerably with only a minor inconvenience to small number of people that makes their streets safer, while also improving traffic flow on the main roads in the area.

• Advertisement

His agenda seems to be to provide the most benefit to most people. Isn’t that his job? Or are you trying to tarnish his name?

If that was his agenda, they would build a dedicated bicycle path over the strand.

Advertisement