Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

His agenda seems to be to provide the most benefit to most people. Isn’t that his job?
    he's also the chap who is pushing through the whitewater rafting facility, so is no saint on the 'providing the most benefit to people' front. and as a whitewater rafter himself, he's left himself open to accusations of having an agenda there. you gotta take the rough with the smooth unfortunately, is i guess what i'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

CramCycle wrote:
    Were most of those closures not a good idea considering the dangerous rat running that used to go on around there? It still does as people adapt but at least now its been reduced considerably with only a minor inconvenience to small number of people that makes their streets safer, while also improving traffic flow on the main roads in the area.

Have you experienced the "improved traffic flow"?

First Up wrote: »
    Keegan has form with this sort of thing. When he was with DLRCOCO some years ago he introduced a set of "temporary" road closures in Mount Merrion. He then had a half-assed review carried out by a UK consultant who was here for something else and then used that as an excuse to make the closures permanent.

He has his own agenda.

My heart bleeds for drivers who can't use residential streets as rat runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If that was his agenda, they would build a dedicated bicycle path over the strand.

Maybe his agenda is to have less cars on the strand. My agenda would be to have less people driving, which is why I want a one way road instead of a purposely built one. I'm sick and tired of motorists being mollycoddled in the city. I want it to be less convenient.

ronoc wrote:
    My heart bleeds for drivers who can't use residential streets as rat runs.

I doubt it has taken one car off the streets. All it did was force cars onto fewer roads

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

traffic evaporation - the opposite of induced demand - is not regarded as theory by designers, it's accepted fact.

Maybe his agenda is to have less cars on the strand.
    Then he should say so, not use a cycle way as an excuse. Forcing cars off the strand and onto other roads isn't a solution to anything and certainly not an improvement.

Then he should say so, not use a cycle way as an excuse. Forcing cars off the strand and onto other roads isn't a solution to anything and certainly not an improvement.

All progressive cities are looking to reduce car usage. It would be a huge improvement for people not driving to the coast.

All progressive cities are looking to reduce car usage. It would be a huge improvement for people not driving to the coast.

Strand Rd has two car parks, a path along the strand, re-cycling bins and a Christmas tree dump in January. It is also the easiest route for many to the toll bridge and Dublin Port. There are legitimate reasons to use it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I doubt it has taken one car off the streets. All it did was force cars onto fewer roads

Drivers make that choice, not the cars. What it does is show drivers there is an alternative to sitting in traffic, a.very convenient clean, green and safe alternative.

Noone is forcing people to drive , Dublin is a comparatively small city. It's not that hard to cycle from one side to the other

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I would put money on it that most cars using that stretch of road at peak time have one occupant who could easily take public transport. South county Dublin has amazing public transport links, probably the best in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Strand Rd has two car parks, a path along the strand, re-cycling bins and a Christmas tree dump in January. It is also the easiest route for many to the toll bridge and Dublin Port. There are legitimate reasons to use it.

And you still can use all of these things with a one way system. I do wonder have many of the people posting here actually used the Strand Road much. As someone who lived in the area for many years, it was awful for cyclists and motorists. There was no convenience and for short trips, walking was quicker than driving a lot of the time. The only time I drove it in recent years was in the middle of the night, not sure why anyone would drive it in the middle of the day if they had alternative choices as it is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

he's also the chap who is pushing through the whitewater rafting facility, so is no saint on the 'providing the most benefit to people' front. and as a whitewater rafter himself, he's left himself open to accusations of having an agenda there. you gotta take the rough with the smooth unfortunately, is i guess what i'm saying.

I think the white water rafting would be great for the city. It will attract tourists, and clean up a derelict basin (if that’s what it is called). It will attract people to spend money in the city meaning that there will be more taxes to spend on amenities, services, etc.

CramCycle wrote: »
    And you still can use all of these things with a one way system. I do wonder have many of the people posting here actually used the Strand Road much. As someone who lived in the area for many years, it was awful for cyclists and motorists. There was no convenience and for short trips, walking was quicker than driving a lot of the time. The only time I drove it in recent years was in the middle of the night, not sure why anyone would drive it in the middle of the day if they had alternative choices as it is awful.

Yeah I never understood this. Who thinks, on a Saturday like today with lovely weather, oh I'll just drive to the Phoenix Park or Sandymount Strand or bull island? I mean they kind of get what they deserve, being stuck in horrible traffic, it's just not fair on the rest of us.

Weepsie wrote:
    Noone is forcing people to drive , Dublin is a comparatively small city. It's not that hard to cycle from one side to the other

Cycling is great and I'm all for it. But it doesn't work for some people and for some journeys - long distance, shopping, families with small kids, old people and commercial transport to name a few.

Closing Strand Rd to northbound traffic won't put many more bicycles on the road but it will put a lot more cars and trucks through Sandymount village.

Cycling is great and I'm all for it. But it doesn't work for some people and for some journeys - long distance, shopping, families with small kids, old people and commercial transport to name a few.

Closing Strand Rd to northbound traffic won't put many more bicycles on the road but it will put a lot more cars and trucks through Sandymount village.

Practically all of what you said there is untrue, and long distance is laughable. Long distance is not around the city, especially with electric bikes.

Why would trucks go through the village?

CramCycle wrote:
    And you still can use all of these things with a one way system.

Yes, one that takes people into residential areas and out again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There has been a massive modal shift in Dún Laoghaire. I don't think you understand how traffic works. Hint: it's not how you think it works.

He did. The cycleway is a means, not an excuse. Reducing traffic by reallocating space and providing alternatives.
    There are going to have to be difficult decisions. Some people will probably perceive themselves, and will actually be, inconvenienced but it’s not the end of civilisation.
    A move to sustainable travel was “inevitable” he said. “There’s is notion that there will be unfettered private car travel, those days are over, it is not sustainable.”

He's the manager of a medium sized European city. Do people actually expect him to do anything other than reduce traffic and increase usage of sustainable transport modes? Are people somehow surprised that he doesn't want continued dominance of single occupancy cars?

Inconveniencing motorists in Sandymount not ‘the end of civilisation’ says Keegan
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/inconveniencing-motorists-in-sandymount-not-the-end-of-civilisation-says-keegan-1.4496336

Practically all of what you said there is untrue, and long distance is laughable. Long distance is not around the city, especially with electric bikes.

What bits are untrue? You think oil tankers should be pulled by bicycles? You want babies and infants on the back of bikes propelled by their grandparents?
    Not all traffic into Dublin Port starts in Blackrock or Monkstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I made the mistake of engaging with someone on Facebook on this matter. Their reply used the words "road tax" and "entitled", which sums up this sad situation.

Peregrine wrote:
    He did. The cycleway is a means, not an excuse. Reducing traffic by reallocating space and providing alternatives.

Lets hear what he has to say when the first child is killed by a truck on Sandymount Green.

Why would trucks go through the village?

To get to where they need to go without using Strand Rd.

What bits are untrue? You think oil tankers should be pulled by bicycles? You want babies and infants on the back of bikes propelled by their grandparents?
    Not all traffic into Dublin Port starts in Blackrock or Monkstown.

You did hear of the port tunnel. It opened years ago and leads onto the m50 which circles most of the city?

Lets hear what he has to say when the first child is killed by a truck on Sandymount Green.

The 5 axle ban is extending to Sandymount too.

I think the white water rafting would be great for the city. It will attract tourists, and clean up a derelict basin (if that’s what it is called). It will attract people to spend money in the city meaning that there will be more taxes to spend on amenities, services, etc.
    i think you're probably in the minority on that.
    if i go on a city break to budapest, say, i don't think whitewater rafting would be top of the list for what i'd want to do there. maybe for stag parties.

You did hear of the port tunnel. It opened years ago and leads onto the m50 which circles most of the city?

Some will. Many won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The 5 axle ban is extending to Sandymount too.

Thats been suspended along with the cycleway works (per DCC twitter yesterday). Hopefully we will see the buses revert to their regular routing too asap.

Some will. Many won't.

Report them. There is an app for that.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats been suspended along with the cycleway works (per DCC twitter yesterday). Hopefully we will see the buses revert to their regular routing too asap.

Yeah it’s sad that 5 axles can still go through Sandymount village at will.

Advertisement