Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes. The court action ensured that 5 axles can drive right through Sandymount for another while. Some locals and yourself must be delighted to have trucks in the village.

They should be allowed on Strand Road, not through the back streets unless they have business to conduct. Banning heavy vehicles from a Regional route would have been stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They should be allowed on Strand Road, not through the back streets unless they have business to conduct. Banning heavy vehicles from a Regional route would have been stupid.

Not stupid at all when they have access to the port tunnel. Who in the right mind would allow them through residential areas when they can avoid them?

ted1 wrote: »
    Why would they ? It’s only suspended. It’s the route they’ll use in Future

You're worse than Trump over the election Ted.

I'm aware there is a process to be gone through, but I believe the following is going to happen.

The Court and An BP in some combination will find that the City Council acted improperly and will compel them to conduct a Part 8 (most likely) or other appropriate assessment. That takes us into May, or even later, depending on BPs timeline.

Then, the City Council will have to draw up the considerable report required by a Part 8 (including new baseline data) before it is published for consultation. That involves far more background work than they put forward heretofore. However, there must be a question mark over whether the Council do choose to go forward with it again, as by May or June, we expect that restrictions will be lifting and traffic patterns may be returning to more normal patterns, raising a serious question over the Covid justification.

But, you might argue and you'd be correct, the Council can proceed with a Part 8 irrespective of Covid, based on the cycleway being an appropriate proposal for the long term use of the R131. If they do that, the Part 8 will end up before the full City Council membership to vote on. I don't think it will pass regardless (it might get 25 of 63 votes on a good day)

And so Ted, if you think either a trial or the permanent installation of a cycleway on a traffic lane of Strand Road / Beach Road is going to proceed, I would respectfully suggest you are dreaming.

And so, given the very long lead time before this is ultimately put to bed, I'd expect the buses to revert to their normal routing without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Larbre is right imo, I wasn't going to believe this was happening until I cycled on it myself, but it definitely wont go ahead now.
    We sometimes forget how carcentric this country is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No it wouldn’t, we built a tunnel so they can go via the M50. Unless they have a specific reason for not using it. That’s what they should use

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You're worse than Trump over the election Ted.

I'm aware there is a process to be gone through, but I believe the following is going to happen.

The Court and An BP in some combination will find that the City Council acted improperly and will compel them to conduct a Part 8 (most likely) or other appropriate assessment. That takes us into May, or even later, depending on BPs timeline.

Then, the City Council will have to draw up the considerable report required by a Part 8 (including new baseline data) before it is published for consultation. That involves far more background work than they put forward heretofore. However, there must be a question mark over whether the Council do choose to go forward with it again, as by May or June, we expect that restrictions will be lifting and traffic patterns may be returning to more normal patterns, raising a serious question over the Covid justification.

But, you might argue and you'd be correct, the Council can proceed with a Part 8 irrespective of Covid, based on the cycleway being an appropriate proposal for the long term use of the R131. If they do that, the Part 8 will end up before the full City Council membership to vote on. I don't think it will pass regardless (it might get 25 of 63 votes on a good day)

And so Ted, if you think either a trial or the permanent installation of a cycleway on a traffic lane of Strand Road / Beach Road is going to proceed, I would respectfully suggest you are dreaming.

And so, given the very long lead time before this is ultimately put to bed, I'd expect the buses to revert to their normal routing without delay.

Trump ? You are the one giving out saying they should have stopped the count...
    You’ve made lots of wild claims which have just been fictional. Whatever happened the government stepping in and stopping the scheme as the route is needed for BREXIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

First Up wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure you suffer no end but that has nothing to do with the plans for Sandymount, which is what we are talking about.

Well it does. The plan is to make it more accessible for cyclists. At the moment they have to share the roads with motorised traffic. Look I get this can be a difficult pill for some to swallow. If you rely on your car for every single journey and can't see alternatives beyond this, the proposal is going to appear like a travesty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Of course they are but they are not being inconvenienced.

Not being inconvenienced, eh?

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1340648194003378176
    https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1331729635369947138

I couldn't find the tweet I really wanted, showing the Sandymount driver very nearly taking out a child cycling earlier this year with a dangerous overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I couldn't find the tweet I really wanted, showing the Sandymount driver very nearly taking out a child cycling earlier this year with a dangerous overtake.

This? https://twitter.com/alandub13/status/1331596920448487425?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Pinch Flat wrote:
    Well it does. The plan is to make it more accessible for cyclists. At the moment they have to share the roads with motorised traffic.

Then make it more accessible (and safer) for cyclists by building a cycle path over a few hundred meters of beach.

Robert Burns is the director of traffic in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. He absolutely has a vested interest in justifying his own work and in encouraging these schemes in other areas. As an official rather than an elected person, I think he should stay in his own lane, pun intended, but DLR seem happy to involve themselves in this mess, which is interesting considering the outcome of the Court case affects the basis on which they installed their measures too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Then make it more accessible (and safer) for cyclists by building a cycle path over a few hundred meters of beach.
    Why on earth was this not thought of before now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Why on earth was this not thought of before now?

Probably because it didn't fit with Keegan's agenda which is mostly to inconvenience motorists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Robert Burns is the director of traffic in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. He absolutely has a vested interest in justifying his own work and in encouraging these schemes in other areas. As an official rather than an elected person, I think he should stay in his own lane, pun intended, but DLR seem happy to involve themselves in this mess, which is interesting considering the outcome of the Court case affects the basis on which they installed their measures too.

Why didn't mannix stay in his own lane then. He wasn't voted in by Sandymount residents?

That video had quite a few illegally parked cars. Shocked, absolutely shocked I am, given how much we now users of this road insist on all proper procedure being followed!!

I am not shocked. People who worry of minutae are the people looking for the loopholes to show why it doesn't apply to them

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why didn't mannix stay in his own lane then. He wasn't voted in by Sandymount residents?

Correct, he was voted in by the good people of the South East Inner City, including Ringsend.

As I've said a few times, there seems to be a deliberate narrative, here and on other social media, to paint this as the SUV drivers of Sandymount v The World. In fact, the opposition to the Council's design was even bigger and louder in Ringsend, Irishtown, Bath Avenue and Londonbridge. Individuals and associations from those areas worked closely with STC and SAMRA in supporting a case.

So lets put to bed for good any notion that Flynn had no basis for getting involved.

Correct, he was voted in by the good people of the South East Inner City, including Ringsend.

As I've said a few times, there seems to be a deliberate narrative, here and on other social media, to paint this as the SUV drivers of Sandymount v The World. In fact, the opposition to the Council's design was even bigger and louder in Ringsend, Irishtown, Bath Avenue and Londonbridge. Individuals and associations from those areas worked closely with STC and SAMRA in supporting a case.

So lets put to bed for good any notion that Flynn had no basis for getting involved.

There's only one problem with your narrative, history

So why do you have a problem with someone from outside dcc who would of course have an interest in it as it's a.comtuting route for swathes of people from dlr, and why was it raised as a problem that people from outside Sandymount showed a huge amount of support for the plans, when you are so happy to highlight those from outside of the area not supporting them.

Mannix with 7% of the vote, his vote is falling every election to, and a Green candidate with more than 4 times that show the actual appetite of the electorate. They want greener, non car centric solutions. It's been on the cards for bloody years and people pretend it's a surprise.

You're being a hypocrite on this matter. Nothing less

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

So why do you have a problem with someone from outside dcc who would of course have an interest in it as it's a.comtuting route for swathes of people from dlr, and why was it raised as a problem that people from outside Sandymount showed a huge amount of support for the plans, when you are so happy to highlight those from outside of the area not supporting them.

Mannix with 7% of the vote, his vote is falling every election to, and a Green candidate with more than 4 times that show the actual appetite of the electorate. They want greener, non car centric solutions. It's been on the cards for bloody years and people pretend it's a surprise.

Last time out, he got in by 8 votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Has anyone listened to this from earlier today?

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/newstalk-breakfast-with-susan-keogh/strand-road-cycleway-dispute-with-hazel-chu-mannix-flynn

It will actually hurt me to listen to Mannix so I can't do it myself

I'm really not. It just helps you get your head around this disappointment to believe that I am.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Has anyone listened to this from earlier today?

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/newstalk-breakfast-with-susan-keogh/strand-road-cycleway-dispute-with-hazel-chu-mannix-flynn

It will actually hurt me to listen to Mannix so I can't do it myself

Hazel came across well. Mannix raved on about consultation, environmental impact and something about railroading. The host called the argument about the lack of face masks on the computer generated image nonsense. Mannix claimed it wasn't and that it was actually a very valid point and moved on. He seemed embarrassed about his own application.

I'm really not. It just helps you get your head around this disappointment to believe that I am.

On this particular point, you very much appear to be. You can't be so dismissive of others because they're outside their lane ( as you put it,) and so gung ho about the support of a counsellor who has object to every cycling initiative ever it seems, supported the ripping out if one of the most vibrant night spots in the city ( despite wanting to establish a proper night time economy apparently) so it can be replaced by a hotel, yet then opposed a hotel given permission elsewhere in a long derelict site., .

He's sought to leave the council at the last 4 elections too so I wonder really how genuine any of his concerns are.

He seems to want to join any cause that puts it those in power, but very much wants a seat at the table too.

Yeah but at the end of the day, Mannix Flynn is an elected Councillor of an area affected by this scheme. He has every right to do what he's done. I'm simply defending that right. It doesn't make me a hypocrite.

If I was on the SUV owners forum and they were saying Hazel Chu or Claire O'Connor had no right to get involved in this just because they didn't like what they stand for, I'd be defending their right to and you'd be the first ones backing me up.

This is your echo chamber boss, it doesn't make me a hypocrite.

Why on earth was this not thought of before now? :confused:
    Probably because it didn't fit with Keegan's agenda which is mostly to inconvenience motorists.
    Knowledge is wonderful!
    In terms of a development at the biosphere reserve:
    Any interference in going into the bay, particularly in our area with the high designation that this particular area has, can only be done based on the principle of no other possible alternative and an overriding need.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/no-sandymount-cycle-path-until-2026-if-alternative-plan-pursued-council-1.4455743?mode=amp

If I was on the SUV owners forum and they were saying Hazel Chu or Claire O'Connor had no right to get involved in this just because they didn't like what they stand for, I'd be defending their right to and you'd be the first ones backing me up.
    I haven't seen you post anything defending the view held by the majority of councillors though. Did I miss something?

Dlr is also affected by this scheme so the dlr person very much has a right to voice their concern as much as mannix.

So yes. You seem to believe that one person outside of the electoral area can have no opinion on it, but those that support your view on it can. That's hypocritical. You know it is.

By thinking otherwise it's reverting back to the inward ****e that prevents any sort of progress, the same type of crap that is being seen in parts of glasnevin, clontarf etc

Move the goalposts again if you like, but it won't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Not being inconvenienced, eh?

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1340648194003378176
    https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1331729635369947138

The first video looks perfectly fine to me. Nothing untoward. Tweeter seems a bit sensitive.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen you post anything defending the view held by the majority of councillors though. Did I miss something?

Thats just it boss. The majority of Councillors opposed Strand Road.

I'm not here to defend any one of them one way or the other, I'm just explaining reality. Its something we need to circle back to in here every so often, just so we know which way is North.

Advertisement